PDA

View Full Version : What type of style should I get?

Michiru
April 13th, 2008, 06:06 PM
My mom has been telling me for a while that my hair needs a style. I haven't done anything but trim since 5 yrs ago. I want to try to keep my length but ideally I would also like a blunt cut.

Oh, and in general my mom doesn't point out things unless they are bad. I'm like the opposite of BDD. I feel I'm great looking all the time (even though I know some things could be improved) so she'll be the one who points out if something is really going amiss.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/V_Anderson/DSCN0006.jpg

spidermom
April 13th, 2008, 06:27 PM
It tends to be my favorite shape, and I have it myself, so I'm biased, but I think your hair would be beautiful in more of a U-shape cut rather than the fairy tale ends. You would have to give up some length, though. I'm not sure how much, but I think the thickness you'd gain in having the ends more blunt would make up for it, although I know many don't agree. In fact, fairy tale ends (natural and tapering) are much revered around here. Most important, though - do what you like with your hair, not what your mom likes. You have to live with it every minute.

birdiefu
April 13th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I really like your color and waves! It looks like you have some layers going on, are you planning on growing them out? If you are looking to get a more blunt look, growing out the shorter parts will help add bulk to the ends once they grow down there. You have some fairytaling going on- if you like it, stick with it.

But you mentioned you want a blunter hemline, so I will suggest two ways to go about it. You can maintain your length and just trim off whatever growth you get each month, which will slowly bulk those ends up. Or you can go a little more drastic and cut a couple of inches up to where the length is a bit thicker. That will give you more immediate gratification, but lose some length.

birdiefu
April 13th, 2008, 06:44 PM
My edit button isn't showing up....

As far as style, long hair itself affords so many styling options. Practice different types of updos such as buns, braids, half-ups, etc with pretty hairtoys :).

Bucatini
April 13th, 2008, 06:46 PM
I'm like the opposite of BDD. I feel I'm great looking all the time (even though I know some things could be improved)

Michiru, I love the way you said that and I hope you never lose your confidence.

About the hair, I agree with spidermom that you should consider the U-shape if you want to wear your ends blunt.

Sillage
April 13th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I would go for a blunt cut!

I don't like having fairytale ends because mine always look scraggly. And besides, I don't think of my uneven ends as really being part of my length! :p If I don't like the way they look, I don't feel any guilt about getting rid of them.

Michiru
April 13th, 2008, 07:35 PM
birdiefu (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=2344) - Thanks for the complement! :) Though I am thinking of trying to go to a darker red with henna.
Yes, I am going to grow out the layers, that wasn't intensional.

Thanks Bucatini. I don't say it out loud to often because I'm afraid I'll come off as being too full of my self.

BrianaFineHair
April 13th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I agree with spidermom :)

frizzinator
April 13th, 2008, 08:45 PM
My mother complained about my hair until I started wearing it up. It's the same hair, but instead of pointing out my hair faults, she only gives me hair compliments.

eadwine
April 14th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Another one who agrees with Spidermom :)

spidermom
April 14th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Please let us know what you decide to do and post a picture if you change your style.

I see that you have a natural V-shape going already and would only need to trim away a few stragglers to keep it.

Katze
April 14th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I agree with Spidermom, too.

Your color and wave is very pretty. If I were in your boat, I'd grow out the layers too, but I myself have very similar layers and don"t like them (messy updos!) so I'm biased.

Michiru
April 15th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I'll definitely post after pictures. I have an appointment scheduled on Sat. Thanks for the advice!

Isilme
April 16th, 2008, 12:28 AM
yep, I'm with Spidermom, and also what she said about doing what you want, not what you mom wants. Henna is an excellent idea, but be sure to know everything about it before you mud your hair;) Like, it's permanent and almost impossible to remove. And it builds up (the colour) so it's easy to accidently go too dark and end up with burgundy or a purple shade. yeah, as I said, everything you can read about henna. Try a washout first in the shade you want and see how you like it before you comitt to something permanent. (like having to touch up your roots with henna now and then)
Or, another idea, if and before you let the fairytale ends go, colour them in some bright colour like pink, green, or even black:) That's what I would do.

meichigo
April 16th, 2008, 12:29 AM
you can go a little more drastic and cut a couple of inches up to where the length is a bit thicker. That will give you more immediate gratification, but lose some length.

I, too, had really wispy ends, so at the beginning of the year I did just that. I think I would recommend it, though it is a very bittersweet feeling... I felt my tips and thought two things... That the were very thick and nice, and that they were a lot higher up than they used to be! Ultimately I do not regret the decision but I do miss the length...

I think before my trim I had a few hairs that were about tail bone length, but only a few. Now most of my hair is at the same length (aside from some layers that will take a while longer) but it's only about 3" below my waist. It's a substantial jump, but with ends that wispy, realistically most of my hair probably wasn't all that much longer anyway.

Michiru
April 16th, 2008, 01:27 AM
yep, I'm with Spidermom, and also what she said about doing what you want, not what you mom wants. Henna is an excellent idea, but be sure to know everything about it before you mud your hair;) Like, it's permanent and almost impossible to remove. And it builds up (the colour) so it's easy to accidently go too dark and end up with burgundy or a purple shade. yeah, as I said, everything you can read about henna. Try a washout first in the shade you want and see how you like it before you comitt to something permanent. (like having to touch up your roots with henna now and then)

Purple? Yikes!

The color I have now is from henna. Here is my natural color:

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/V_Anderson/DSCN2261.jpg

I will probably start another thread asking for suggestions about the color in a week or so but thanks for your input. I definitely won't be sleeping with it on!

sahiba
April 16th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Another spidermom supporter.