PDA

View Full Version : Question about Pool water

Bucatini
August 1st, 2009, 05:09 PM
Quick question-- I was lounging on a floating thing in the pool today for about a half hour, and my bun got wet. I did not submerge my head.

I normally would not wash my hair until Monday. Is pool water really THAT bad for my hair that I have to rinse it out right this minute, or is it okay to take the bun out, let it dry, oil it, and stick back in a bun?

Thanks in advance!

Edited to add: I should mention that it is a home pool, not a public pool. I don't know whether the chemicals are different, but wanted to mention that just in case.

HairColoredHair
August 1st, 2009, 05:11 PM
Well... was your hair wet or dry prior to getting in the pool water? Wet hair is less prone to damage from the pool.

Chlorine or salt pool (you can usually tell the difference by feel/taste/smell)? Do you have blonde hair? Leaving chlorine in blonde hair can turn it green and salts will make it stiff.

Quite honestly, I'd give it a good quick rinse in the sink or under the tap, but I know I've skipped it in the past when I was a kid.

Bucatini
August 1st, 2009, 05:16 PM
Wow I definitely did not give enough information! Thank you, HairColoredHair, for asking such great questions.

Hair was dry before getting in the pool. Pool is chlorine, and I am brunette.

HairColoredHair
August 1st, 2009, 06:09 PM
Personally I'd give it a rinse, but since it's probably already done it's damage, just let it dry out and oil it up and it'll probably be okay. :)

Addy
August 1st, 2009, 06:44 PM
Chlorine does not turn blonde hair green. Copper algaecides do. ;)

jera
August 1st, 2009, 06:49 PM
I'd wash it, or at least give it an herbal rinse. Pool water is not healthy, not just because of the chlorine, but from rain bringing pollution down from the atmosphere. (If it recently rained before you used the pool that is.) You didn't mention that. :)

ktani
August 1st, 2009, 06:54 PM
Try just rinsing it with club soda and rinse that out (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=631280&postcount=954). No need to wash after doing so.

Kirin
August 1st, 2009, 08:21 PM
Chlorine does not turn blonde hair green. Copper algaecides do. ;)

What they said :)

shortgoinglong
August 1st, 2009, 09:12 PM
I never really understood that statement about chlorine turning blondes green. I have had really blonde hair all my life and swim almost daily in the summer in a pool heavy with chlorine. My hair is in it for hours a day and never had any green hue to it. Of course I've always put some Ultra Swim Conditioner in it before and after swimming but still, never had any green. :confused:(knock on wood)

lonestargal
August 2nd, 2009, 12:03 AM
I'd wash it. I own a pool and knowing what chemicals are put in it to maintain it I would wash all that gunk off. I make my girls at least rinse everyday with clean water after swimming

danacc
August 2nd, 2009, 01:29 AM
I would at least rinse with plain water. A club soda rinse followed by water-only as ktani suggested would be even better.

florenonite
August 3rd, 2009, 06:49 AM
If it's a private pool the chlorine levels, IME, are lower than in a public pool (because you don't have to worry about little kids peeing/pooing/vomiting in it :p). I've got a pool in my backyard and have in the past gone swimming in there without washing my hair after. The club soda rinse is a good idea, though.

Bucatini
August 3rd, 2009, 06:46 PM
I never stumbled upon that club soda information yet in my years on the boards! Thank you for showing me.

Addy
August 3rd, 2009, 07:59 PM
I'd wash it. I own a pool and knowing what chemicals are put in it to maintain it I would wash all that gunk off. I make my girls at least rinse everyday with clean water after swimming

I just use bleach, borax to control pH and baking soda to get my TA up. That's all I use besides stabilizer/conditioner to keep the bleach from burning off. :D I refuse to pay boo coo bucks to a pool store to jack my water up with chems I don't need. :cool:

It is true though, bleach does not turn blonde hair green. It's all in the copper algaecides which I do NOT use.

Addy
August 3rd, 2009, 08:06 PM
If it's a private pool the chlorine levels, IME, are lower than in a public pool (because you don't have to worry about little kids peeing/pooing/vomiting in it :p). I've got a pool in my backyard and have in the past gone swimming in there without washing my hair after. The club soda rinse is a good idea, though.

Sorry, but I keep my pool at 7ppm on any given day. It's not low and it's not high but just right for my pool. Chlorine and CYA should coincide with each other because they work off each other. The higher the CYA the higher the chlorine needs to be. ;) Anyone who says you only need 1-3ppm of chlorine is wrong <mainly pool stores tell you that is the reccommended range for chlorine>.

Okay I'm done with pool water chemistry. If anyone wants to pic my brain, they can PM me. :D

lonestargal
August 3rd, 2009, 08:17 PM
I just use bleach, borax to control pH and baking soda to get my TA up. That's all I use besides stabilizer/conditioner to keep the bleach from burning off. :D I refuse to pay boo coo bucks to a pool store to jack my water up with chems I don't need. :cool:

It is true though, bleach does not turn blonde hair green. It's all in the copper algaecides which I do NOT use.

Yes I use the borax and baking soda as well. For some reason though the bleach burns off WAY too fast even with using a stabilizer/conditioner. So I use the chlorine tablets with a water softener. If you have any tips on how else to keep it from burning off that would be great, the bleach is cheaper for sure!!!

lonestargal
August 3rd, 2009, 08:21 PM
I forgot to add that even though it's borax and baking soda I still find it VERY drying on my hair and skin and still want it all washed off. My problem could be the chlorine tabs but I would think all the bleach would be bad too. I'm just judging from my own experience though!!!

Addy
August 3rd, 2009, 08:52 PM
I sent you a PM. http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/7443/maileuk.gif (http://img40.imageshack.us/i/maileuk.gif/)

Shiva
August 3rd, 2009, 09:42 PM
I have a pool. I have pool maintainance people come every week to take care of it. They can't figure out why the chlorine gives iron stains (I have well water with high iron) and I am getting sick of paying them and not fixing my problem.

I've thought about bleach. I've thought about putting a filter on the hose to lower the metals. I've thought about filling in the hole/pool with dirt. I am just sick of the whole deal.

PS - I NEVER get my hair wet in the pool water (not after my past iron issues in my water).