PDA

View Full Version : Managed a 5-strand braid!

annuscka
August 1st, 2009, 11:28 AM
Yes! That :D It has taken me many attempts - around ten today until this one came along, and my arms are still slightly sore still five hours later... But it worked! Almost - I didn't manage the final 15 cm, couldn't/didn't dare to flip it over my shoulder as it's usually gone crazy at the latest at that point. But never mind, let's pretend I want it this way ;) Haven't dared to try and do them now either, maybe I'll try and clip it firmly and then dare to remove the elastic...

Had to post it on Facebook too, but I don't think most people realise what a feat it was...;)

Sorry about the dirty mirror (!):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/annuscka/IMG_4029.jpg

LutraLutra
August 1st, 2009, 11:35 AM
Wow, you did a great job. :)

annuscka
August 1st, 2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks! Just tried to clip and finish but no - not happening ;) Apparently you either finish a braid on the first try or then you start over - me at least.

KaeleyAnne
August 1st, 2009, 12:12 PM
That's beautiful. I love five-strand braids.

krn2891
August 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM
Looks good. How did you manage to braid it so far without pulling it over your shoulder? I can only go a few crossovers behind my back before I have to bring it over my shoulder.

annuscka
August 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks! And yeah, me too - I love how they make the hair look so thick and even and even more complicated than they are. Of course I can't still finish one so they ARE complicated, but... ;)

Tashomani
August 1st, 2009, 12:20 PM
Great Job.............i Can Barely To A French Braid!!!

annuscka
August 1st, 2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks! :D

How did you manage to braid it so far without pulling it over your shoulder? I can only go a few crossovers behind my back before I have to bring it over my shoulder.

It was REALLY as far as I could go, but I think sitting down with all the hair thrown over the back of the chair helped a bit (leant my head against the top of the chair - somehow it got me a sense of structure or something, and it was more comfortable). At this point I was holding it out though, and probably wouldn't have got much further without flipping it over. With regular 3-strands I never go this long on my back.

HeatherLarsen
August 1st, 2009, 12:27 PM
Wow that is some serious skill! It looks gorgeous. Keep the cool hairstyles coming, it inspires shorties like me to keep growing!

marzipanthecat
August 1st, 2009, 12:35 PM
That is amazing - and tremendously pretty.

In fact, I would rate it as art. I am very impressed.

(I have to bring a braid over my shoulder to finish it!)

wackyredtangles
August 1st, 2009, 12:35 PM
That's so pretty! I'm very impressed. =)

Maybe now someone will attempt a five strand crown braid...

annuscka
August 1st, 2009, 12:49 PM
Wow that is some serious skill! It looks gorgeous. Keep the cool hairstyles coming, it inspires shorties like me to keep growing!

Thanks! I'll try - I do like toying with braids, and it's nice to have somewhere to post about it where people appreciate it more than my family does ;)

That is amazing - and tremendously pretty.

In fact, I would rate it as art. I am very impressed.

(I have to bring a braid over my shoulder to finish it!)

Now I'm blushing :D Thanks! And I have to try and get the ends done somehow now... it HAS to be possible to turn it over and not mess up. Even if it doesn't seem like it ;)

The instructions are surprisingly simple actually (got mine from here (http://www.frannyslonghairstyles.com/braids.htm)), it's the holding on to five strands that's difficult IMO - don't understand how people manage 9-strands, even on someone else!

Maybe now someone will attempt a five strand crown braid...

Not me! LOL, but it sounds like it would be gorgeous! Now if I could do a regular crown properly...

I just saw this (http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/5by5/) style today and I wish I could make it on myself, but think it might be a bit much. Anyone up for trying? ;) (Oh I know I will at some point, but... it won't be pretty!)

cockerspaniel9
August 1st, 2009, 01:08 PM
wow, really pretty! and that style you linked was cute. I have some trouble with the 4-strand braid so i dont dare try with this:D

jennylouwhoo
August 1st, 2009, 01:14 PM
beautiful i wish i could do that but im not that talented.

florenonite
August 1st, 2009, 01:15 PM
It's gorgeous, and you inspired me to finally stop thinking "that's too many strands to keep track of" and actually try it! :D

spidermom
August 1st, 2009, 01:18 PM
I am SO impressed.

annuscka
August 1st, 2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks so much everyone!

It's gorgeous, and you inspired me to finally stop thinking "that's too many strands to keep track of" and actually try it! :D

Go for it! :D There are a lot of strands, but 5 I feel are still manageble (enough fingers!) And there is something about the whole under-over-under-over and tying together motions that appeals to the control freak in me - feels satisfying somehow ;)

I have to try the French braids-made into 5-strand tomorrow; not that it'll work, but it just looks so pretty in the picture!

Wish I had a wig or a doll's head to try these styles on, it'd be a lot easier on the arms! :p

krn2891
August 1st, 2009, 03:04 PM
Hey guys I would encourage everyone to keep working on the 5 strand braid if you have not go it down. I know for me it was the 5 strand braid that really helped me understand what braiding really was, and I had been doing normal briads for years. It was one of the duh moments for me I guess. I know for me knowing how to keep track of 5 strands and hold them all in one hand was the key for going up to 7 then 9 strands. It jus takes practice so keep at it.
Oh I'm going to say this so hopefully It will force to me to actually do this, but I'm planning on filming a tutorial on 9 briads on monday since I don't have to work and have it up Monday night. Ok I have now given my self a deadline and have tons of people to be accontable to.

Fencai
August 1st, 2009, 03:05 PM
WOW! That's great! That's the new braid Im trying to master!

Gumball
August 1st, 2009, 03:05 PM
Wow! That looks spot-on. Well done!

Rentlle
August 1st, 2009, 03:08 PM
woh!
you did a great job!
love it!

annuscka
August 1st, 2009, 03:16 PM
:D Thanks, everyone!

Hey guys I would encourage everyone to keep working on the 5 strand braid if you have not go it down. I know for me it was the 5 strand braid that really helped me understand what braiding really was, and I had been doing normal briads for years. It was one of the duh moments for me I guess. I know for me knowing how to keep track of 5 strands and hold them all in one hand was the key for going up to 7 then 9 strands. It jus takes practice so keep at it.
Oh I'm going to say this so hopefully It will force to me to actually do this, but I'm planning on filming a tutorial on 9 briads on monday since I don't have to work and have it up Monday night. Ok I have now given my self a deadline and have tons of people to be accontable to.

Agreed! One I understood the under-over-under-over... it seemed very obvious, and it probably will help a lot. I can't explain it, really, but there's something about the "tying" it together that felt satisfying to master.
Can't hold them all in one hand though - two in the left, three on the right for me. Am not considering 7 or 9 right now ;)

9-strands tutorial sounds awesome, btw ;)

Actually, something I did to teach me the strand movements - practise on pantyhose laid out on the floor! :D It sounds insane and sort of is, but it worked! I had three pairs (turned one leg away to make 5 strands) in different colours so I always saw what went where. When one doesn't have a wig or doll to practise on, one takes what one has ;)

I guess baking a lot of braided breads would qualify as well, but it is a bit much for me :D

longhairedfairy
August 1st, 2009, 03:22 PM
That's really, really pretty!

annuscka
August 2nd, 2009, 05:04 AM

Did it again now, after sleeping on it (disappointing braid waves actually - not any, really) - and managed to get it almost finished this time, still without bringing it over my shoulder. Could probably not have done it if I had 5 inches more hair, but now I could still - while sitting - hold it straight up behind me and braid it that way. Not comfortable, but doable and much preferred to the mess that it would've been to turn it!
Took 10-15 minutes, which surprised me a bit (yesterday took a lot longer, but then I had to rip it up about five times, too.)

I really love the pattern of these multi-strands; looks weaved. Or like a beaver's tail! :D

Vrushali
August 2nd, 2009, 09:01 AM
Annuscka, you are my hero!!! I have been trying forever and never managed it...you have inspired me to give it another go!:applause:

florenonite
August 2nd, 2009, 09:12 AM

Did it again now, after sleeping on it (disappointing braid waves actually - not any, really) - and managed to get it almost finished this time, still without bringing it over my shoulder. Could probably not have done it if I had 5 inches more hair, but now I could still - while sitting - hold it straight up behind me and braid it that way. Not comfortable, but doable and much preferred to the mess that it would've been to turn it!
Took 10-15 minutes, which surprised me a bit (yesterday took a lot longer, but then I had to rip it up about five times, too.)

I really love the pattern of these multi-strands; looks weaved. Or like a beaver's tail! :D

There's no braid waves? I was looking forward to them! I have one in right now that I did yesterday afternoon. I'm taking it out soon, but I was hoping for exciting braid waves.

I managed to pull it over my shoulder and braid "backwards", though the first time I tried that I reversed the pattern. I do this with all my braids, though, so I didn't find it that difficult.

And I always think of this as the beavertail braid :p

annuscka
August 2nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
No, they weren't particularly impressive, my waves - now I have very heavy hair and can seldom hold onto waves anyway, but two French braids have got me a lot more curls - I think perhaps the strands were too thin or something? But volume it did give, of course. Maybe you'll have better luck! :D

Good on you managing to turn it - I tried to yesterday but got too confused and chose to exercise my arms instead, lol. I have a few months to learn until it becomes impossible not to ;)

Vrushali - good luck with it! :D

brista
August 2nd, 2009, 04:19 PM
First of all, wow on the hair! That makes my arms hurt just thinking about trying that -- and I don't have half the length you do!

Actually, something I did to teach me the strand movements - practise on pantyhose laid out on the floor! It sounds insane and sort of is, but it worked! I had three pairs (turned one leg away to make 5 strands) in different colours so I always saw what went where. When one doesn't have a wig or doll to practise on, one takes what one has

I had these little dolls when I was about 7 or 8, sort of like a Barbie but smaller. They had really long hair that was divided into three (really bright neon!) colors so you could learn how to do a braid. I don't think I ever would have figured it out if it weren't for those dolls! Seeing the colors and figuring out the "pattern" really helped then so I could see how it would help with a more complicated braid.

florenonite
August 2nd, 2009, 10:01 PM
No, they weren't particularly impressive, my waves - now I have very heavy hair and can seldom hold onto waves anyway, but two French braids have got me a lot more curls - I think perhaps the strands were too thin or something? But volume it did give, of course. Maybe you'll have better luck! :D

Good on you managing to turn it - I tried to yesterday but got too confused and chose to exercise my arms instead, lol. I have a few months to learn until it becomes impossible not to ;)

Vrushali - good luck with it! :D

I got volume and a bit of wave. It made me think of Hermione in Harry Potter, actually. Big and bushy :p

I always have to pull braids over my shoulder, particularly when I'm learning them, because my arms get sore too easily. I managed to mess up my 4-strand boxbraid this morning and had to unbraid a bit and redo it because I burbled it up when I pulled it over my shoulder :o

kwaniesiam
August 2nd, 2009, 11:27 PM
Managed? :thud:

That looks perfect! I'm in awe, I love 5 strand braids but can never manage to do one on myself.

Aditi
August 2nd, 2009, 11:54 PM
Very lovely :) 5 strands braid ROCKS!!!!

annuscka
August 3rd, 2009, 06:35 AM
Thanks guys, you're all so kind :D

Did it again today (in a hair salon actually, heh. Sat and watched my mum get her hair dyed and cut above the ears because it was "too long" at 2 inches longer, while I did my thing, oils in my purse...) Had to rip it up once because the back got a bit messy and it still is - somehow 3rd day, rather oily hair was less cooperative than cleaner hair. Would've thought it'd be the other way around! But I like wearing it - it stays quite still on my back and holds very firmly, even though the braid waves remain disappointing on me. Hermione hair sounds about right! :D

Still can't turn it over though - I keep doing it right upwards and exercising my arms ;)

GoddesJourney
August 3rd, 2009, 09:17 AM
So cool! I've been completely unable to get this one down. It looks great on your hair.

Nyghtingale
August 4th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Wow, that is really beautiful. You did a great job.

Heavenly Locks
August 4th, 2009, 09:02 PM
If you can do THAT, I am definitely capable of learning a three strand french braid on myself...

Your braid is AMAZING. :bigeyes:

JamieLeigh
August 5th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Wow, that looks amazing! I don't think I'm coordinated enough for that, lol.

annuscka
August 5th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks a lot, guys! :D I didn't think I'd manage it either, but in the end, I did - so you will too ;) Now if I could understand a fishbone braid, all would be spiffy... :D

redneckprincess
August 5th, 2009, 10:25 AM
so pretty I wish I could do that, I tried on DDs hair yesterday and that was a flop I will try again after she washes it while it is still wet

Maddy25
August 5th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Wow it looks so beautiful! Looks like youve been doing them forever, its so perfect <3

Curlsgirl
August 5th, 2009, 12:13 PM
You have inspired me to try this it looks SO pretty on you! I have done a french braid for years but never attempted another one. I have been looking for something new and since you said it just takes practice I think I will work on it a little every day or so until I get it right. I bring my french braid up over my head still and mine is 33 inches long but then I have long arms! I'm just learning to bring braids over my shoulder but still have some trouble with them. I'll post a pic if I get this to work!

yellowchariot
August 5th, 2009, 12:16 PM
That looks killer! I gotta get somebody to do that on my hair for when I mow all day and cut hedges, also, when I go out exploring in the wilderness. Awesome! :thumbsup:

Garnet66
August 5th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Thats a really great looking braid. You did a good job. I can't even do a french braid so I would'nt even attemp a five strand. Thanks for sharing.