PDA

View Full Version : How do you wear your hair for a massage?

birthmarkie
August 1st, 2009, 11:25 AM
I'm weighing the options. I don't want my hair to get in the way of the shoulders or neck. On the other hand, loose seems more relaxing. Perhaps a high bun or braid? Any suggestions welcome :)

brista
August 1st, 2009, 11:45 AM
I would do a loose messy bun if you can. It wouldn't be in the way of the massage but it wouldn't be so tight that it distracts from all the relaxation. Also if you leave it down, it might be distracting for you because you're worried about the masseuse moving your hair.

birthmarkie
August 1st, 2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks! I have to leave within a half hour so your good, quick advice is much appreciated :flower:

Gypsygirl
August 1st, 2009, 12:59 PM
I just wear it down and make sure it doesn't get in the way.

Ella Menneau P.
August 1st, 2009, 07:01 PM
As a licensed massage therapist I have to say that I prefer to work on clients with the hair loose. I am always careful to avoid pulling, and it if is very long oit's easy to keep out of the way. Keeping the hair up also signals that you do not want a scalp massage:bigeyes:.

The best thing to do is communicate with the MT about your hair. I only use jojoba for massage, so if it gets in the clients hair it isn't a big deal, but some of the creams that MTs use can be pretty heavy and slimy in your hair.

Have a great massage!:)

ChloeDharma
August 2nd, 2009, 06:22 AM
When doing an Indian Head Massage i clip the hair up when working on the neck and shoulders then let it down for the scalp massage.
If i'm being massaged myself then i loosely bun my hair to keep it out of the way, but so that it's easy to let it down if my scalp is going to be worked on at some point.

Elettaria
August 2nd, 2009, 06:30 AM
I generally go for two plaits, as this allows access to the neck. If I wear my hair loose, strands of it start creeping onto my neck and back and getting caught in the oil. Sometimes I let it loose for a head massage at the end. I've been having regular aromatherapy massages for about a decade, though not in the past year.

Periwinkle
August 2nd, 2009, 06:36 AM
I wish I had this problem, LOL :D

birthmarkie
August 2nd, 2009, 08:22 AM
Thank you all for your input! I was actually on my back the whole time, so not having a bun on the back of my head might have been better. I was glad, however, that I didn't have any strands pulled accidentally or in the way. I will ask the MT next time though and go from there. This person was very encouraging about asking questions and such. It was amazing and I learned a lot.