PDA

View Full Version : Question about growing out layers

Lilli
August 1st, 2009, 08:25 AM
I see many people here say that they keep trimming until all their layers are even/blunt. I have straight hair in a chin-length bob, and only the bottom inch is layered. I won't have to keep trimming until the layers are gone, will I? I mean, only an inch of layering, and it is the same length all the way around the perimeter. Also I have light bangs that are eyelash length, and I can just brush them to the side, so that won't be a problem, will it? I have grown my hair out when it was blunt cut before so I don't have experience with this. Is there something I am missing?

Heidi_234
August 1st, 2009, 09:01 AM
You don't have to maintain and get rid of layer if you don't want to. If you're fine with your layers - keep them! If your goal is to grow out hair, trim only if you absolutely need to - if the ends are in horrible shape and nothing else helps, or if the hemline is bothering you too much. Maybe later on, when you're APL or BSL you'll feel the layers don't look as good, or you'll feel you hemline is ratty and thin - then you might consider a small trim.
Layers don't prevent your hair from growing. People only trying to get rid of them for the sake of getting rid of them.

Roseate
August 1st, 2009, 09:16 AM
No need to trim them at all! Trimming off your layers is just an aesthetic choice. Lots of people around here don't like them for various reasons, but I love mine!

If they work for you, walk away from the scissors. You can always trim them off later when your hair is longer if they start to bother you.

Bellalalala
August 1st, 2009, 10:28 AM
Some of us love layers!
I plan on keeping some layering no matter how long my hair gets.
I love the cascading curls that layers make.
I also find bangs incredibly beautiful.

A lot of people here get rid of their layers because they don't like the look, don't like how they mess up some types of up-dos, or a myriad of other personal reasons.

This place, above all, is about how individual your hair is and the unique relationships we all have with our hair.

When it comes to your hair, do whatever makes you happy!

Lilli
August 1st, 2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks, everyone! I like my layers because they give my bob a nice round shape, so I'm going to leave them. I am not sure about my bangs, though. I do love that Reese Witherspoon long hair with bangs she had a few years ago, so I may keep them.

spidermom
August 1st, 2009, 11:28 AM
To trim or not to trim, that is the question. You get to decide for yourself; there are no hard and fast rules.

ktani
August 2nd, 2009, 08:46 AM
I think that layers can look great! It depends on what you prefer.

When I grew out a lot of layers years ago, my stylist at the time was excellent (I trim my own hair now) and he micro-trimmed the ends of the layers, so that as they grew out, they blended better with my hair.

You can also ignore them if you want to grow them out and just trim any broken or split ends.