PDA

View Full Version : peasant braids

ZenBird07
July 31st, 2009, 08:40 PM
I am not understanding how my hair is so long but I can't get a braid to wrap around my head as is prescribed in the peasant braids. It's as if the braid gets to thick or something. I don't understand it. Even if I do it with two braids, they just don't go all the way around. Is my head freakishly big or something? I don't get it...:brickwall

Gumball
July 31st, 2009, 09:20 PM
It could depend on height versus hair length (a taller person has a different length at a landmark compared to a shorter person), hair thickness which results in certain braid thickness (and shortening of usable length), etc. That could also roll over into the same thing happening with two braids. If they are just too thick and the length gets eaten up you may have to find another way around it (four braids maybe?) or wait for another length milestone to try it at.

eternallyverdan
July 31st, 2009, 09:29 PM
You also might be trying to put them too far forward on your head. If you don't have enough braid to go all the way around, try having it closer to the crown and further from the forehead. If you really do have too much hair and you desperately want the look, you'd probably just have to go with a real crown braid.

Katze
August 1st, 2009, 07:34 AM
I am not sure what style you are going for, but with my hair I can do two upside down French braids and then wrap the ends along themselves along the top of my head. My ends are very thin, so maybe this works better on thinner hair?

It seems like a 'real' crown braid (as described on the Dreamweaver site) would work better with longer, thicker hair...or am I mistaken?

demitasse
August 1st, 2009, 07:44 AM
I am not sure what style you are going for, but with my hair I can do two upside down French braids and then wrap the ends along themselves along the top of my head. My ends are very thin, so maybe this works better on thinner hair?

It seems like a 'real' crown braid (as described on the Dreamweaver site) would work better with longer, thicker hair...or am I mistaken?

I know what she's describing as milkmaid braids. Two English pigtails that are then pinned on top of the head. A lot less work than a crown braid. I think they're also called Heidi braids. :)

Maybe you could try making the pigtails higher up so that they sit right behind your ears. My hair's thickness eats up a lot of my length when I braid it so I put the braids higher to compensate.

embee
August 1st, 2009, 08:02 AM
This may not work for you as my hair may be quite different, long, thin, fine, and straight. Perhaps you're making the braid too tight. For me, a looser braid works better, is longer.

enfys
August 2nd, 2009, 05:16 AM
Are you at the top or bottom of "butt length"? I could only go all the way round, about 2" back from my hairline at the front, at classic around 44" long. It takes a lot of hair to do this style! Split into two it still took the same length of hair. That makes no sense to me, but hey.

ZenBird07
August 2nd, 2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks guys... I think you all might be right to some extent. The thickness issue (I showered at noon and my hair is still wet at 10:24pm) especially. And referring back to the crown braids versus the peasant braids; I have very successfully acheived crown braids on short hair so I know I could do the crown braids but I wanted desparately to do the peasant braids because it appeared less taxing -ya know, other than taking the gigantic knittting needle to my skull to secure it with Italian rennaissance taping methods... Thanks again...:idea: