PDA

View Full Version : Softening the hairline?

Ella Menneau P.
July 31st, 2009, 07:24 PM
I wear my hair up nearly every day, and sometimes I think I look a little severe. Would creating some wispy bits around my hairline be a bad idea? I don;t really want bangs, but I don;t want to look like a mean old lady!:D

walkinglady
July 31st, 2009, 07:53 PM
I'm thinking about going this route except I'm coming from the opposite direction. I have bangs and am thinking about growing them out (again). I don't like the way I look without a little something around my face. I'm thinking a few whispy strands here and there might work though.

Also, you might try googling updo hairstyles and see if you find something with a little fringe that would work for you. I found my last bang style doing this.

Heavenly Locks
July 31st, 2009, 07:56 PM
My favorite thing when wearing half ups or buns recently has been to pull down the bits right at my temple in front of my ears. Do you have shorter pieces there?

I should try and find a photo...

ETA:

Sort of like this - http://photos.weddingbycolor.com/p/000/002/357/m/1572/p/thumbnail/41598.jpg

heatherdazy
July 31st, 2009, 07:58 PM
Maybe very long side bangs?

link (http://www.haircutshairstyles.com/img/photos/full/2008-05/jennifer_lopez_long_sideswept_hairstyle51.jpg)

Bellalalala
July 31st, 2009, 09:06 PM
very long side bangs look incredibly glamorous with updos, and they definitely soften the look. Added bonus: they hide forehead wrinkles if you have any.
I have a cowlick on my forehead, but if I didn't I would have long, side swept bangs.
Soooo pretty.

Cereus
July 31st, 2009, 09:10 PM
I've been thinking about this too. Does any one know a good way to cut a few wispies?

patience
July 31st, 2009, 09:17 PM
I have very wispy bangs and fringe framing my face. Not a lot, but just enough to soften the look.

Ella Menneau P.
August 1st, 2009, 07:09 PM
Patience, would you mind showing your wispies? I really don;t want bangs--my work is physical and they would end up looking gross in 10 minutes.

heatherdazy
August 1st, 2009, 07:19 PM
I've been thinking about this too. Does any one know a good way to cut a few wispies?
Yes, go to a hairstylist.

NiAosSi
August 1st, 2009, 07:25 PM
:confused: Many LHC members have done a WAY better job at maintaining their own hair than any stylist I've ever seen. Most of us trim our hair and fringe regularly without any issues.

Yes, go to a hairstylist.

Teazel
August 1st, 2009, 07:36 PM
I really don;t want bangs--my work is physical and they would end up looking gross in 10 minutes.

I know what you mean! Parting my hair way over on one side and sweeping it across my forehead looks great, but it gets oily and stringy in no time - not a good look! I used to have to wash my fringe (translation for Americans --> "bangs") every day, when I had one.

If you can tame your wispies into fetching locks it can make a big difference in terms of softening your updo. A bit of water and aloe vera gel works for me; it looks like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Scarla/hair/splash.jpg

And the back view:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=583&pictureid=22819

AprilElf
August 1st, 2009, 07:37 PM
I don't have a fringe or any face framing layers, but occasionally to get a softer look with an updo, I gently pull out the baby hairs and shorter hairs around my temples and forehead. Some wispies are short and some come down to my chin, so it gives a nice effect.

Addy
August 1st, 2009, 07:50 PM
I just cut long side swept bangs here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30480). I really like them so far. :cool:

Lady Mary
August 1st, 2009, 11:33 PM
I've been wondering this as well, if the updo will make my face look harsh without a frame. Currently sporting side bangs, former blunt Betty bangs. Side wispies sounds like a cute idea, still keeps a frame without the need for bangs. I'll have to try that.

krn2891
August 1st, 2009, 11:41 PM
I have been thinking about giving my self bangs for awhile now. I just want kind of change with my hair that will not affect the over all length. But I remember how much I hated bangs when I had them in jr high school. My bangs do not grow longer then shoulder length so they give me natural layers but that can get annoying as well. It might soften my buns and braids in the summer but I'm not sure so I keep imploying the 2 week rule. Which means I will probably never cut them but you never know.

CherrySilver
August 2nd, 2009, 03:02 PM
I've got some whispies that are now growing long (4-7+ inches) all around my hairline, temple and in front of my ears. This is from all the daily topicals (Monistat & oil blends) and massages -- guess it's really paying off. Will try the aloe & water to keep them down, as they have a tendency to go back with the rest of my hair when I put it in a bun.

Amara
August 2nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
Cut whispies where they might naturally occur on some people - in the point where your hairline comes forward right over your ear (where you'd have sideburns) and the little point on your temple where your hair comes farthest forward... I also like whispies in the "corners" of my front hairline on top... cut LONGER and LESS than you want and add slowly (maybe over the course of a day or two).

heatherdazy
August 2nd, 2009, 03:13 PM
:confused: Many LHC members have done a WAY better job at maintaining their own hair than any stylist I've ever seen. Most of us trim our hair and fringe regularly without any issues.
She said she didn't know how to do that specific technique.

You're suggesting that every person who has long hair or is growing there hair is better at cutting hair than any hairstylist? Really? I mean, I've seen a lot of anti-stylist stuff on this site, but this is up there.

saskia_madding
August 2nd, 2009, 05:18 PM
I have bangs that I love, that are shaped like this:

link 1 (http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Content/090420/News/Todays_News_Our_Take/4_thurs/090423erica-durance-smallville1.jpg)

link 2 (http://www.scifiscoop.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/smallville_erica_durance.jpg)

I love them. BUT ... now that I'm trying to learn to do fancy braiding, I'm finding it really annoying to have a triangular section on the top of my head that I don't have access to. It also shrinks my circumference quite a bit.

I'm on the fence about growing them out or not. But I suggest you take a look at the hairstyles you like to use best and whether bangs or wispies work with them or not. Because with long hair, it can take a looooooooooooong time to grow out from a mistake.

ktani
August 2nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
I wear my hair up nearly every day, and sometimes I think I look a little severe. Would creating some wispy bits around my hairline be a bad idea? I don;t really want bangs, but I don;t want to look like a mean old lady!:D

Sounds like a lovely idea. You can do just a couple of pieces to on either side of your face and they won't be too difficult to grow out later, if you get tired of them. Just follow your hairline and don't cut them too short.

may1em
August 2nd, 2009, 05:50 PM
I started out with some wispy bits (collarbone) in the front, then cut them plus a bit more into sideswept bangs a month ago.

Wispies are awesome. I'm also enjoying the bangs (bonus: excellent scar-hiding powers).

It's easier to experiment with long layers first, then cut bangs later if you want. It was a lot less traumatic to cut the bangs from collarbone than it would have been from waist.

hennared
August 2nd, 2009, 09:11 PM
Heatherdazy, 'many' does not equal 'every', and obviously, the original poster was looking for a how to, not a hair dresser referral. OK, you think a professional hair dresser is the only person suited to do a simple cut of hair in front of the head, others think diferently. Why be so judgemental of the do it yourselfers? Some of us can't afford stylists, for one thing. And some of us have had the experience of years' worth of hair growth butchered by a stylist who did what she thought looked better. It's a matter of personal choice. No right or wrong here.

adiapalic
August 2nd, 2009, 09:55 PM

You're suggesting that every person who has long hair or is growing there hair is better at cutting hair than any hairstylist? Really? I mean, I've seen a lot of anti-stylist stuff on this site, but this is up there.

Actually, NiAosSi's comment was suggesting that some people are better at maintaining their own hair better--which I think also means to their own liking. It's not a mystery that many hairstylists will impart their own creative style preference on someone's else's hair, resulting in complete nightmare for the customer. Lots of stories of too much being cut.

There are suggestions in the VIP thread on how to communicate what you want to a hairstylist, but not everyone can express with ease the exact hairstyle they want through...osmosis! So they learn from someone else how to do it themselves. I think that's what Cereus was looking for. I hope I'm misreading, but your hairstylist comment to Cereus wasn't coming across as very helpful or polite. :(

heatherdazy
August 2nd, 2009, 10:55 PM
How is it helpful or polite that people will slam hairstylists at every possible opportunity?

If she said she didn't know how to carve a turkey and I suggested asking a butcher, would you go on about how lots of people cut their own meat without having to go to a butcher?

All I'm saying is it's an option.

Teacherbear
August 2nd, 2009, 11:11 PM
From what I've read, no one is "slamming" hairstylists.

There is an assumption that the OP wants to do something herself to soften her hairline. Going to a hairstylist is one option.

florenonite
August 3rd, 2009, 06:16 AM

Hey, I taught myself to cut side-swept bangs because I can't afford to go to a hairdresser just to get a fringe :shrug: We're not anti-stylist here; many members are stylists themselves. What we are against is when some stylists think they know better than the customer. ETA: Generally they do know more about the techniques of hairstyling, but they don't know better than the customer what the customer wants done, as some presume END ETA. Not all stylists are like this; I adore the hairdresser I have at home (though I so rarely trim my hair these days that I haven't bothered finding anyone at uni). She does as I ask, knows where I like to part my hair, and knows I don't blowdry and never have.

To the OP: Are you interested in finding ways to add interest to the front of updos to soften the look? I ask because I cut a side-swept fringe several months ago and liked it for a while before I go tired of it always being in my face and am now engaged in the arduous process of growing it out. I started a thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=27775) on ways to add interest without cutting. Perhaps you could try some of the suggestions there before cutting anything.

If you do want actual whispies, I'm sure they'd look lovely, of course; just bear in mind they could get in the way and be irritating.

Toadstool
August 3rd, 2009, 06:35 AM
I don't wish to argue with anyone but IMHO I have seen some hairstylist slamming here. I don't mean this thread in particular.

I'm impressed at people who can cut their own fringe. I did mine a couple of weeks ago and ended up going to a hairdresser to even it out. But that's just me.

NiAosSi
August 4th, 2009, 08:28 PM
How is it anti-stylist? It's simply a retort (if at all). And I know I can be quite blind at times but she did ask:
Does any one know a good way to cut a few wispies?

Also, how asinine is that statement... Never did I presume that everyone growing their hair or already possessing length is better at cutting hair. So please re-read my post properly before you attack me and group me into any anti-whatever categories. LHC hair speaks for itself.

NiAosSi
August 4th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Sorry to the Op and all other posters (and mods) if I derailed this thread. I also failed to read the last couple of posts and answered a bit bitterly. I apologize. :flower: