PDA

View Full Version : Water park hair care

DolphinPrincess
July 31st, 2009, 06:07 PM
Hello all! I need some advice. On August 9th, I'll be going to a waterpark and need to figure out what to do with my hair. I already plan on oiling my hair well, but from there, I don't know what else to put in it to protect from chlorine and the sun.

As far as the style goes, I just want to make sure I don't have a part. I was thinking of braiding it, but is that enough protection? As far as hair toys go, I have cloth-covered scrunchies, bobby pins, a claw clip, and flexi's to use. I don't know if I'd want to use the flexi's though because of the chemicals in the water.

Any suggestions? TIA! :flowers:

manderly
July 31st, 2009, 07:03 PM
Ktani suggests rinsing hair with club soda to get rid of chlorine. Maybe take along a large bottle or 6 pack and rinse when you will be out of the water for extended periods.

You could also wear a bandana over your braid to protect from the sun.

misspriss
July 31st, 2009, 07:07 PM
I always just do a braid...but it doesn't do much.

Of course, I'm one of those types who does damaging things every now and then, so...

(I flat iron on occasion, and chemical color....)

ericthegreat
July 31st, 2009, 07:09 PM
I'm an avid swimmer and I actually made a thread about water protection just today here http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30413! Anyway you're not going to be in a pool I assume(unless the waterpark you're going to has one and you're going in) so I doubt you'll need a swim cap.

I agree with oiling your hair beforehand. You could also instead simply use a conditioner to coat your hair too if you don't want that greasy feeling. I suggest braiding your hair down or twisting it in a bun, that will definitely hold for the whole day.

heatherdazy
July 31st, 2009, 07:19 PM
If I were going to swim at a water park, I would load my hair up with gobs of cones to keep out the chemicals then I'd clarify immediately afterward. They are pretty much the most chlorinated pools on the planet.

Kat
July 31st, 2009, 07:20 PM
I've heard it suggested before to mix sunscreen with a bit of light conditioner and put it in. Bonus: conditioning treatment! Probably will want to wet your hair with tap or distilled water first, so it doesn't absorb the chlorine water. You could probably also oil over that (but I wouldn't mix the oil in with the sunscreen and conditioner as it might keep both from soaking in?).

I wear my hair with a center part and I just put sunscreen in my part and rub it in so it doesn't show white (learned the hard way once to do that after getting burned...didn't hurt but let's just say that peeling sunburn + my seborrheic dermatitis [often mistaken for dandruff, to give you a visual] is REALLY REALLY GROSS--looks like the world's worst, hugest dandruff, EW).

Ice~Cold~Wind
July 31st, 2009, 07:31 PM
I usually oil my hair and keep it in a loose bun. But I highly recomend a braid from my own personal experiences.(and I always rinse my hair off immediatley afterward).=)

heatherdazy
July 31st, 2009, 07:59 PM
Anything water soluble that you put in your hair will be rinsed away as you swim.

DolphinPrincess
July 31st, 2009, 08:36 PM
Hmmm, I never thought about actually using sunscreen in my hair. Would I need to re-apply a sunscreen and conditioner mixture? I like the bandana idea too!

I won't be just directly swimming, but going down water slides and such, and into the pools. I don't imagine my hair will be directly underwater for very long periods of time.

Thanks for everyone's tips and advice so far!

redneckprincess
August 1st, 2009, 06:21 PM
funny thing you ask my family and I were at a water/amusement park yesterday, I personally wore my hair down but noticed most girls/women wore theirs up in a pony tail or some sort of bun

NiAosSi
August 1st, 2009, 07:30 PM
A lot of us use tons of coconut oil before swimming in beaches, pools, etc. I think a nice tight bun and some oil can be a good barrier.