PDA

View Full Version : dimethiconol

Dez
July 31st, 2009, 04:55 PM
the same as dimethicone? no no for CO? or ok?

teela1978
July 31st, 2009, 05:18 PM
Probably a no-no for CO. Not exactly the same as dimethicone, it has an extra -OH group which makes it an alcohol of dimethicone. Might make it slightly more water soluble, but not much. Personally I prefer straight dimethicone to any of the variations out there :)

ktani
July 31st, 2009, 05:38 PM
It is the only cone in my shampoo but not in a huge amount. I have not had any build-up from it and no problems either.

RoseRedDead
July 31st, 2009, 08:50 PM
Ahh, I'm pretty sure this is something my hair HATES!! Every single time I have used a conditioner containing this, my hair was a crunchy mess... of course, those same conditioners also had protein (which is a definite no-no for me)...

You'll just have to try it and see what your hair likes...

ktani
August 1st, 2009, 11:26 AM
Ah, I thought so. There are different weights (http://books.google.ca/books?id=56R-6Wyyo6IC&pg=PA292&lpg=PA292&dq=dimethiconol+weights&source=bl&ots=3cir74OpfX&sig=cQKGf0n0FzeGO2nDB5K626CwBBw&hl=en&ei=Bnp0StL4IaWvtgf1n9WWCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#v=onepage&q=dimethiconol%20weights&f=false) involved, even with the same type of silicone. So, the fact that one is listed on an ingredients list, does not necessarily mean that there will be a problem with it.

Dez
August 3rd, 2009, 12:23 PM
the link didn't work for me about silicone weights. but thanks for the responses! I think i will wait awhile before trying it. I'm just worried about build up, and my hair is right in the middle of the co transition i think and i don't really want to shampoo in the middle of it if i start getting build up.