PDA

View Full Version : Have I Made a New (toyless) Bun?

eternallyverdan
July 31st, 2009, 01:58 PM
This is one of my staple buns, and I don't know if anyone's thought of it before, so I thought I'd put up a picture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/forevagreenearth/toyessbun2.jpg

The best thing about this one is that it stays up all by itself with no accessories. I used a braided version of this on a sailing trip last weekend and it held for an entire day with no slippage.

ETA: much less confusing (in theory) directions have been added downthread.

Has anyone done it before?

SimplyViki
July 31st, 2009, 02:26 PM
Sounds like a version of my own pinless, stickless knot, but modified to accommodate longer hair. I do almost what you described, up to the point where you wrap the ends around. My hair still doesn't have enough to wrap around the ends, I just pull a bit of a loop through, enough to hold it in place, and sort of tuck the stubby ends somewhere.

ETA: I should mention yours looks so much more intricate than mine, cause you've got the length to do more stuff with. :D

Longlocks3
July 31st, 2009, 02:37 PM
Nope, but I will if you make pictures to follow! LOL I'm updo challenged and reading through the directions makes me dizzy.

pradabacon
July 31st, 2009, 03:08 PM
^^^Haha! Me too! I'm gonna try to figure it out, though. I tie my hair in a knot all the time because I forgot a stick or tie and it never really stays. I need a toyless 'do in my repertoire. Ach, I don't think my hair's long enough yet...

eternallyverdan
July 31st, 2009, 03:42 PM
Instructions, as requested (and I really hope these make sense):

1. Hold hair in a ponytail with your left hand. Pull the hair over 2 fingers and then let it fall back down to the right:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/forevagreenearth/toylessstep1.jpg

2. Now put your right thumb and index finger through the right side of the bun into the little pocket you've created until they come out through the left side. Grasp the tail end of your hair with these 2 fingers.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/forevagreenearth/toylessstep2.jpg

3. Continue pulling it through the gap until you have a loop that's 3-4 fingers wide.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/forevagreenearth/toylessstep3.jpg

4. Now wrap the ends around the base and tuck them under securely (the loop sticking out on the right here is the one that you'll put around the base of the bun)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/forevagreenearth/toylessstep4.jpg

5. Take the loop that's hanging out and push the rest of the bun through so that it surrounds the rest of the bun and you should get something that looks like the original post!

I hope this makes at least a little sense-- I've never really tried to write out instructions before.

eternallyverdan
August 1st, 2009, 09:35 AM
Does anyone know what I mean here? Or am I really that terrible at giving instructions? :confused:

going gray
August 1st, 2009, 10:08 AM
Oh I understood your instuctions, but I have NO hair!!!! (my fault).......enjoy looking at photos. Thank you for posting them.

Zéphine
August 1st, 2009, 11:30 AM
That's such a pretty style, eternallyverdan. Thanks for posting it. I may need to try that when my hair gets a bit longer. It seems much more secure than the knots and such I wear (which stay very well in my hair, as long as I don't do anything too active).

Neoma
August 1st, 2009, 12:10 PM
Is it basically a Celtic knot with the last loop pulled through only enough to make a slip knot and wrap around the bun instead of pulling it all the way through?

eternallyverdan
August 1st, 2009, 03:01 PM
Is it basically a Celtic knot with the last loop pulled through only enough to make a slip knot and wrap around the bun instead of pulling it all the way through?

Yeah, basically. I just like this because it stays where it's supposed to, whereas for me a Celtic knot requires vast numbers of pins.

Neoma
August 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM
Yeah, basically. I just like this because it stays where it's supposed to, whereas for me a Celtic knot requires vast numbers of pins.
I can't figure it out. Gotta practice. My slippery hair slips right out of it. I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong... :blushing:

Longlocks3
August 1st, 2009, 09:29 PM
OMG it stayed! Kind of hard to do with my wet hair, but I can't believe how strong it's staying. I wonder how well it'll hold tomorrow with dry hair!

Hmmm, this is the second thread you have started that prompted me to try a hairstyle.......ENABLER:grnbiggri

eternallyverdan
August 1st, 2009, 11:08 PM
I can't figure it out. Gotta practice. My slippery hair slips right out of it. I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong... :blushing:

It just takes a while to get all the loops and twists the right size and shape. I find that if it doesn't feel like it's holding right I have to take the whole thing and sort of twist it around until it does, or sometimes just redo it so it doesn't pull or fall.

OMG it stayed! Kind of hard to do with my wet hair, but I can't believe how strong it's staying. I wonder how well it'll hold tomorrow with dry hair!

Hmmm, this is the second thread you have started that prompted me to try a hairstyle.......ENABLER:grnbiggri

I know, that's why I love it so much-- when I run out of the house with my hair down and all of my hairtoys are at home, I can do this in 30 seconds and it will stay up unsecured all day if I don't mess with it.

I live to enable! I'm a hairstyle-pusher. :cheese: