PDA

View Full Version : hair dresser

saman
April 13th, 2008, 04:40 PM
How many hair dressers do we have here?

jojo
April 13th, 2008, 04:54 PM
im not a hair dresser but there a few. Are you a hairdresser?

Druid of Alba
April 13th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Hehe, don't think you'll find too many around here.

saman
April 13th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I'm not a hair dresser,I just want to know are they interested in this site

jojo
April 13th, 2008, 05:09 PM
rymorg2 is the only one i can think of. Is it advise your after? shes your lady if it is!

Jeni
April 13th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I think we need any and all hair dressers to do a thread on "How to talk to a Hairdresser". Mainly how to get them to understand 1/4" means 1/4", not 2". Maybe there is a special language I don't know, because every time I go in for a trim I loose at least an inch more then I wanted. :( . I know there are good stylist out there, the ones on this forum for example who understand the meaning of 1/4", but I cant find them.

Jeni

jojo
April 13th, 2008, 05:29 PM
That is a good idea. Its a shame that hairdressers get slated as there are good ones and it would be nice to have a thread where hairdressers give advice to those needing it.

I had a brilliant one for years and she moved, i never found another one who matched her but she would do exactly what i said, she would even cut just the splits if thats what you wanted.

Eboshi
April 13th, 2008, 08:22 PM
How many hair dressers do we have here?

At last count, 394 +/- 6

Saman, what are your hair growing goals ? Do you care to tell us a little bit more about yourself ?

Patrycja
April 13th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I think we need any and all hair dressers to do a thread on "How to talk to a Hairdresser". Mainly how to get them to understand 1/4" means 1/4", not 2". Maybe there is a special language I don't know, because every time I go in for a trim I loose at least an inch more then I wanted. :( . I know there are good stylist out there, the ones on this forum for example who understand the meaning of 1/4", but I cant find them.

Jeni

amen to that :)

Co Phi
April 13th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I'm a hairdresser.

Jeni
April 13th, 2008, 10:47 PM
You know whats funny? I have been to a lot of hair salons, some really nice (I once payed $100 for a trim, I'm an idiot) and some like the $10 hair cutting places (I have no customer loyalty...) The best hair cut I ever had was a place at the mall, cost me $12. It was my last hair cut actually, in Dec. Before I found LHC I thought if I wanted to grow my hair long, I would have to get regular cuts. SO I went in prepared to get 2" cut off even if I asked for 1/4". Well this lady was awesome. She didn't want to wash my hair, she said there was no need. She misted my hair, combed it with a wide tooth comb and cut. When I got up I looked and it didn't look like she cut anything at all, but the ends were even. I looked at the floor and I think she cut like 1/8". She didn't even try to blowfry my hair or add hairspray, which people always want to do (I've embraced my thin hair, why cant they??)! It was awesome, she listened to me when I said "Cut as little as possible". Sad thing is, the mall is 8 hours away, near my aunt's house. :( I wanted to steal her and bring her to VA.

Jeni

Oh and I tipped her $20, I was that happy.

groque
April 14th, 2008, 12:04 AM
I used to do hair and since I always knew what it was like to have too much taken off I always made sure about not taking off too much. I think though the people who didn't want their hair long didn't like it because they would always ask me to cut it shorter.:o

curlysamantha
January 15th, 2016, 08:26 PM
I'm in beauty school so I'm a hair dresser in the making ;)

Beatrixity
January 15th, 2016, 11:05 PM
To all the cosmetologists out there,

Thank you for all the hard work you've put into getting your license. I just investigated what it would cost and how many classes I'd need to take and my findings shocked me! My apologies for not appreciating enough the hard work you do. I hope many more hair dressers join LHC and share their valuable opinions with the community. :)

lapushka
January 16th, 2016, 06:06 AM
To all the cosmetologists out there,

Thank you for all the hard work you've put into getting your license. I just investigated what it would cost and how many classes I'd need to take and my findings shocked me! My apologies for not appreciating enough the hard work you do. I hope many more hair dressers join LHC and share their valuable opinions with the community. :)

I'd like to think more of it as a two-way street. ;)

Akville
January 16th, 2016, 10:04 AM
double post..

sorry..

Akville
January 16th, 2016, 10:04 AM
Jeni

LOL...
Your so generous :D

I bet she was happy...

meteor
January 16th, 2016, 11:56 AM
I'm in beauty school so I'm a hair dresser in the making ;)

That's great! :D And welcome to the LHC! :cheer:

I've had this question for a while for all hairstylists or hair professionals in training... Are cosmetology schools these days OK with using coconut oil soak pre-bleach (to help protect hair a bit - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10495)? Or do they promote any other pre-bleach treatments? I remember when I used to get highlights at salons, I was afraid to show up with coconut oil all over my hair, and hairdressers in the area didn't know about this practice back in the day and never used any pre-treatments at all, but I wonder if the practices have changed since then, as it's very popular among folks who bleach & dye their own hair? :)

Also, these days there are so many new products like Olaplex, Bondplex, ColorpHlex, Continuum, Cureplex, Snaplex... but the technology and even ingredients are not really explained in detail anywhere, despite the popularity. How are treatments like this currently approached by cosmetology schools? Are they seen as valid in terms of limiting damage? :) Thank you very much!

curlysamantha
January 16th, 2016, 12:45 PM
From what I remember (I haven't used bleach in school for a while, most of the services I've done recently are going darker) We don't do anything with the hair right before bleaching. I don't think there really is a way to protect ones hair from damage other than not over doing the bleach (we have a girl at school who bleaches her hair practically every month and it hasn't grown passed her ears). I don't think its possible to do a pre-bleach treatment because it might mess up the actual bleaching process.

As far as things like Olaplex, Bondplex, etc (I haven't actually heard of these before, but if I'm correct these are post chemical service products, right), we use Wella Post Treatment, which really does work wonders. We use it for just about everything, even if a clients hair feels a little dry in general. I would say these are seen as valid for eliminating (or reducing) damage (but of course there is nothing that will compare to a good trim every once in a while :) ).

Hope that answers your question!

meteor
January 16th, 2016, 12:57 PM
^ Thanks a lot, curlysamantha! :D

Olaplex is mixed directly into the bleach/perm solution/etc, and then there is a follow-up step (plus take-home product for maintenance), or it can be used as a stand-alone treatment. All those other products (Bondplex, ColorpHlex, Continuum, Cureplex, Snaplex...) seem to have appeared very quickly after that and are similar in packaging and marketing and all promise protection from damage as well, which is, of course, intriguing, though I agree - as far as we know, damaging practices damage hair and there isn't much that can be done about it.

curlysamantha
January 16th, 2016, 01:02 PM
^ Thanks a lot, curlysamantha! :D

Olaplex is mixed directly into the bleach/perm solution/etc, and then there is a follow-up step (plus take-home product for maintenance), or it can be used as a stand-alone treatment. All those other products (Bondplex, ColorpHlex, Continuum, Cureplex, Snaplex...) seem to have appeared very quickly after that and are similar in packaging and marketing and all promise protection from damage as well, which is, of course, intriguing, though I agree - as far as we know, damaging practices damage hair and there isn't much that can be done about it.

I don't think my school uses it because they are die hard for Wella/Sebastian, Im on vacation until Tuesday, but I think when I go back I'll ask an instructor about it because I'm super curious now.

meteor
January 16th, 2016, 01:07 PM
^ Thanks so much, curlysamantha! :flowers:
(By the way, we have a thread on this :) with a bit of discussion and LHC-ers reporting how it worked or didn't work for them: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=124721&page=20)