PDA

View Full Version : warmer weather=better hair care?

jojo
April 13th, 2008, 04:02 PM
although i do try and look after my hair the best i can all year round, I have to admit my hair gets babied more once the warmer weather draws in.

Maybe this is a subconscious thing, as I know my hair grows a lot quicker during the warmer months or maybe its because ive had it drilled into me how damaging heat is and im associating heat with warmer weather?

Am I the only one:cheese:

Jeni
April 13th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I think I'm the opposite. I try and baby it more in the winter, when the air is drier. In the summer it's so hot and humid I usually just try and ignore its there.

Since I have found LHC maybe that will change. I know I will be doing more to protect it from sun, swimming pool and the beach. Do you use anything like a UV spray (or cream) to protect your hair? I cant wear a hat, I have a large head and I just look dumb in hats...

Jeni

jojo
April 13th, 2008, 04:23 PM
thanks for your reply Jeni. I tend to mix a little aloe vera gel with water and some sweet almond oil which i spray on my hair in the morning but not used that for a while.

Im not a hat person either, though i do wear one but i look a gimp in one!

Jeni
April 13th, 2008, 04:41 PM
so aloe, water and sweet almond oil helps protect hair from UV rays? Huh, I need to go find some SAO....

Jeni

Druid of Alba
April 13th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Oh, please don't remind of the summer :(. I really do hate the warm months of the year. Anyway, I, too, tend care for my hair a little bit more in the summer, because of the increased heat, which causes a lot more oil on my head. That leads me to washing it more, which leads me to more treats for my hair :). As far as sun damage goes, I avaoid the sun at all costs, so it isn't a huge problem for me. And I don't swim in pools, as chlorine is SO bad for our bodies. But I do swim in beaches at night, and I must say, it feels so nice to have long hair flow behind you in the water :). So to answer your question, yes, warmer weather equals better care, for me.

jojo
April 13th, 2008, 04:51 PM
so aloe, water and sweet almond oil helps protect hair from UV rays? Huh, I need to go find some SAO....

Jeni
I dont know for sure if it does but i notice less drying and splits when i do use it, any oil will do which ever your hair prefers!

jojo
April 13th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Oh, please don't remind of the summer :(. I really do hate the warm months of the year. Anyway, I, too, tend care for my hair a little bit more in the summer, because of the increased heat, which causes a lot more oil on my head. That leads me to washing it more, which leads me to more treats for my hair :). As far as sun damage goes, I avaoid the sun at all costs, so it isn't a huge problem for me. And I don't swim in pools, as chlorine is SO bad for our bodies. But I do swim in beaches at night, and I must say, it feels so nice to have long hair flow behind you in the water :). So to answer your question, yes, warmer weather equals better care, for me.
yay!:cheese: im not the only one, you sound like me, though summer is a good excuse to go out with your hair soaked in conditioner and put up, leaves hair lovely and soft!

Jeni
April 13th, 2008, 05:01 PM
So here's something I've been wondering- We all know chlorine is bad for your hair, what about the stuff used in a lot of pools, not real sure what it is, but it's called Softswim (at least in the US). It's not chlorine, but does the job of chlorine. It's suppose to be "better" for you then chlorine. So I wonder, is it "better" for your hair? It's all bad for your hair, but I wonder if it's less harmful?

Jeni

buttons
April 13th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I baby my hair way more during the summer. I think its mainly cause I have more time to myself (no classes), but also that I started growing my hair out officially last summer so its kind of subconscious for me to be nicer to it around those months.

Jeni
April 13th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks jojo I think I'll have to try it

Jeni

jojo
April 13th, 2008, 05:05 PM
no worries Jeni, let me know how it works out x

buttons
April 13th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I baby my hair way more during the summer. I think its mainly cause I have more time to myself (no classes), but also that I started growing my hair out officially last summer so its kind of subconscious for me to be nicer to it around those months.

Oh and of course more time to myself means I don't have to go out when I don't want to and can hang out with conditioner slathered on my head. :p
The only people I'll let see me like that are my parents, grandparents, and siblings...and it doesn't surprise them anymore If I'm raiding the fridge for stuff to put on my head ;)

jojo
April 13th, 2008, 05:34 PM
that produces great mental images Buttons! as long as you eat the cheese and dont put it on your hair, your safe lol

teela1978
April 13th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I am much more likely to do a deep treatment or spritz my hair in the summer. I think it's mainly because it's too cold to do in the winter though. Sitting around with a wet head is not fun when it's cold. Neither is misting nice smelling liquids into the air, makes things chilly!

Curlsgirl
April 13th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I am much more likely to do a deep treatment or spritz my hair in the summer. I think it's mainly because it's too cold to do in the winter though. Sitting around with a wet head is not fun when it's cold. Neither is misting nice smelling liquids into the air, makes things chilly!

YES ME TOO! I also wear my hair up a lot more in the summer so it SEEMS to grow faster even if it doesn't. I use more leave-in and oils also to nurture it since you can't tell how greasy or anything it is while it's up. I LOVE summer!:cheese:

Sillage
April 13th, 2008, 07:24 PM
My shampoo says it has UV filters in it, but I don't know if they do much good. Normally I worry more about sun damage to my skin!

young&reckless
April 14th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I get tempted to blow dry in winter but in summer I don't. I just go sit outside and enjoy the day for a while and let the wind dry my hair for me.

It also helps to remind me to use more sunscreen as I will burn to a crisp on a short car ride.

Buddaphlyy
April 15th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I take better care of my hair in summer, but not consciously. I'm always swimming, jogging, playing volleyball or something athletic so I often sweat and have to shower more often. This in turn leads me to co wash more often (sometimes twice a day) and my hair just thrives from the extra moisture.