PDA

View Full Version : What about O/O (And I'm not talking about an otter in an oil slick)

Vermelha
July 31st, 2009, 06:18 AM
First off, I'm a newbie, so...yay! :cheese:

Second, I've been rather curious about the W/O (Water Only) and No Water, Sebum Only (NW/SO) regimes. I wanted to say right off that those regimes are genius to me, especially being a very curly-headed person. Co-washing didn't work for me, nor did organic shampoos (my hair felt dry, yet wet in a weird kind of way)...

So I tried the W/O for a little bit and really enjoyed it. Since my hair is already dry, it really helped to just use water only and kick the shampoo to the curb. (I did clarify to get rid of cones and other products before doing this.)

But one day after my W/O wash, somehow, my mind went into sort of a time travel to the past, (lol), and I grabbed my coconut oil and started to oil my hair and scalp. It felt great, and felt even better upon the next wash. Once again, I applied the coconut oil to my hair after washing (my hair is curly, so I'm assuming that oils would take longer to travel down a curly hair shaft), and my hair had never felt so moisturized and looked so glossy and dark.

Then, this week, I decided to not wash my hair altogether. Instead, I've been using oil on my hair and scalp during nightly scalp massages. Just a tad bit of oil on the scalp was enough.

My scalp surprisingly doesn't have that awkward smell that usually occurs and my hair feels stronger (coconut oil is great stuff). And not washing/detangling on a daily basis is really the best part about it. I just either braid my hair up or wear an updo or bun (or scarf if I feel like I look crappy).

So what do you say? Would this be an O/O regime? I'm sure a lot of straighties and wavies out there would probably look like an otter in an oil slick after oiling their hair every day. :o I guess it could be modified to be done once weekly?

Or has this already been done and I've exhausted my poor fingers :(

BlndeInDisguise
July 31st, 2009, 06:29 AM
I would definitely look like an otter in an oil slick if I did that, and I'd smell worse, too, because coconut oil stinks when it gets on my hair. But I'm glad you found something that works so well for you! I hope it stays that way. :)

Vermelha
July 31st, 2009, 06:45 AM
I would definitely look like an otter in an oil slick if I did that, and I'd smell worse, too, because coconut oil stinks when it gets on my hair. But I'm glad you found something that works so well for you! I hope it stays that way. :)

*smells hair*
My sense of smell sucks in the most pitiful sense of the word. Perhaps I may try Olive or another oil, or perhaps add an EO like Lavender to it. You just gave me a good idea! Yay! :cheese:Thanks!

Heidi_234
July 31st, 2009, 06:49 AM
Some curlies would not consider NW/SO best method because it relaxes the curls over a period of time, so if they like/want their curls they wouldn't want to NW/SO. I'm not sure how long did you NW/SO, but just to make sure were on the same page - if you go a week without washing it's not considered NW/SO...
As for your method, people with oily scalps, and people who shed when they massage oils into their scalps can pass on it without trying. Most people get very greasy hair they can't over after a while, so added oil won't be good to them. But people who have very dry hair and scalp (like me, my hair does not get greasy even on day 7) could use it.
Also, coconut oil is antibacterial(?) so it's good as a scalp oil, and I've learned that oils do better job dissolving other oils, so the coconut oil scalp massage can help distribute sebum to the length by dissolving it. It's something that I considered a while ago, but now that I swim regularly I just can't avoid washing my hair.

Vermelha
July 31st, 2009, 07:01 AM
Some curlies would not consider NW/SO best method because it relaxes the curls over a period of time, so if they like/want their curls they wouldn't want to NW/SO. I'm not sure how long did you NW/SO, but just to make sure were on the same page - if you go a week without washing it's not considered NW/SO...
As for your method, people with oily scalps, and people who shed when they massage oils into their scalps can pass on it without trying. Most people get very greasy hair they can't over after a while, so added oil won't be good to them. But people who have very dry hair and scalp (like me, my hair does not get greasy even on day 7) could use it.
Also, coconut oil is antibacterial(?) so it's good as a scalp oil, and I've learned that oils do better job dissolving other oils, so the coconut oil scalp massage can help distribute sebum to the length by dissolving it. It's something that I considered a while ago, but now that I swim regularly I just can't avoid washing my hair.

I'm more focused on growth. If my curl could relax a bit, I wouldn't mind, as it's easier to detangle when it isn't as curly (I do have 3b/3c hair) thus saving my ends...And thanks for the correction. I'm still going on NW/SO...I havent' stopped yet, unless I try this method out and see if it works.

And yeah, I do have a drier scalp and hair than most, so I'm thinking those with drier hair types could try this since NW/SO could take longer for those who have curly hair, especially like mine.

And that's what I was driving at about the coconut oil. :cheese: Yay! I think Castor has rincoleic acid, which is antibacterial too! I' wonder what other oils have antibacterial properties...*goes to Google*

Thanks!

Vermelha
July 31st, 2009, 07:19 AM
I found a list of antibacterial (and some bactericidal) essential oils! Yay! I'm not sure all of these would smell pleasant in the hair, but I don't mind a little trial and error. Of course, they need to be diluted with a carrier oil...which I'll look up some of those too:

Basil
Bay Laurel
Chamomile
Eucalyptus
Geranium
Melissa (bactericidal)
Neroli (bactericidal)
Oregano (bactericidal)
Patchouli (bactericidal)
Rosewood
Tea Tree (I thought this was bactericidal...)
Thyme (bactericidal)

Source: http://www.feelgoodproducts.com/properties.html

I'm suggesting these could be added to some light carrier oil used in scalp massages, that would replace regular washing. I thought it would be cool.

I'm sure for those who have straighter, less curly hair, oiling the hair wouldn't be necessary. But i'm sure there are other ladies with curly or kinkier hair textures that benefit from oiling the hair.

Heidi_234
July 31st, 2009, 07:56 AM
I'm more focused on growth. If my curl could relax a bit, I wouldn't mind, as it's easier to detangle when it isn't as curly (I do have 3b/3c hair) thus saving my ends...And thanks for the correction. I'm still going on NW/SO...I havent' stopped yet, unless I try this method out and see if it works.

And yeah, I do have a drier scalp and hair than most, so I'm thinking those with drier hair types could try this since NW/SO could take longer for those who have curly hair, especially like mine.

And that's what I was driving at about the coconut oil. :cheese: Yay! I think Castor has rincoleic acid, which is antibacterial too! I' wonder what other oils have antibacterial properties...*goes to Google*

Thanks!
I'm not sure how your hair behaves, because mine (and other curlyheads' hair too) turns all frizzy and awful once you comb out the curls. So the rule of the thumb is to stay clear from combs and brushes between washing. That said, I'm okay with more relaxed texture, that's why I wanted to go NW/SO.
If you're looking for growth enhancing oil for the scalp you should check this thread out:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8939
I currently use this Bhringaraj Oil (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showproduct.php/product/205/cat/500) as to massage on the scalp right after I shower, and it makes my scalp so happy. I guess the scalp-too-dry part makes it work for me.

Vermelha
July 31st, 2009, 08:04 AM
I'm not sure how your hair behaves, because mine (and other curlyheads' hair too) turns all frizzy and awful once you comb out the curls. So the rule of the thumb is to stay clear from combs and brushes between washing. That said, I'm okay with more relaxed texture, that's why I wanted to go NW/SO.
If you're looking for growth enhancing oil for the scalp you should check this thread out:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8939
I currently use this Bhringaraj Oil (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showproduct.php/product/205/cat/500) as to massage on the scalp right after I shower, and it makes my scalp so happy. I guess the scalp-too-dry part makes it work for me.

See, I've never combed out my curls. I just left them be when I did wash or I braid my hair to loosen the curl. I only used a comb when my hair was wet from washing. And I can't even find my brush, lol. That may be a good thing.

Oh and I've heard about Bhringaraj Oil! I wonder if it's pricey? I really want to cop that oil too! What kind of texture does it have? And does it smell (good or bad)? Thanks!

Heidi_234
July 31st, 2009, 08:16 AM
See, I've never combed out my curls. I just left them be when I did wash or I braid my hair to loosen the curl. I only used a comb when my hair was wet from washing. And I can't even find my brush, lol. That may be a good thing.

Oh and I've heard about Bhringaraj Oil! I wonder if it's pricey? I really want to cop that oil too! What kind of texture does it have? And does it smell (good or bad)? Thanks!
Ah, I forgot to write about the scent (seems to metter to you so I intended) - it's not your regular perfumey/flourish scent, it's different, but I like it alot. It doesn't linger though, I can't smell it the morning after for example.
Here's the company's page for this oil:
http://www.banyanbotanicals.com/prodinfo.asp?number=3293&variation=&aitem=4&mitem=18
It's a little pricey, but a) the bigger bottles cost probably less b) little bit goes a very long way, just few drops and you have your scalp covered, if not you can always massage coconut oil.

Vermelha
July 31st, 2009, 09:01 AM
Ah, I forgot to write about the scent (seems to metter to you so I intended) - it's not your regular perfumey/flourish scent, it's different, but I like it alot. It doesn't linger though, I can't smell it the morning after for example.
Here's the company's page for this oil:
http://www.banyanbotanicals.com/prodinfo.asp?number=3293&variation=&aitem=4&mitem=18
It's a little pricey, but a) the bigger bottles cost probably less b) little bit goes a very long way, just few drops and you have your scalp covered, if not you can always massage coconut oil.

Neat! If a little goes a long way, I'm sure it would work fine. That's not too bad of a price, but I may get a larger bottle. I like to stock up on products. I may just use this on the scalp and use the coconut oil on the hair. Besides, I like "different" scents. Shampoo always smelled like cheap perfume to me. Thanks for the suggestion!

Heidi_234
July 31st, 2009, 09:22 AM
Neat! If a little goes a long way, I'm sure it would work fine. That's not too bad of a price, but I may get a larger bottle. I like to stock up on products. I may just use this on the scalp and use the coconut oil on the hair. Besides, I like "different" scents. Shampoo always smelled like cheap perfume to me. Thanks for the suggestion!
You're most welcome. I'd suggest getting a small one first, maybe your scalp wouldn't like it, or you may have allergy to one of the ingredients (you'll never know), so buying lots of it would be more wasteful it that case.

Vermelha
July 31st, 2009, 09:29 AM
You're most welcome. I'd suggest getting a small one first, maybe your scalp wouldn't like it, or you may have allergy to one of the ingredients (you'll never know), so buying lots of it would be more wasteful it that case.

Very true! I'll do a small one. Thanks for the reminder. I'm getting a little too eager here, lol.

Heidi_234
July 31st, 2009, 09:36 AM
lol, so was I when I just arrived. :flower:
Good luck, I hope you find it as good as I did!

Norai
July 31st, 2009, 10:46 AM
Well it'd definitely be healthy for your hair! I think you'd want to wash it with shampoo at least once a month though.

I'd think it'd work much better for people with super, super thick or coarse hair, I'd look like a greaseball if I did it.

If you're looking for antibacterial EOs, I think the best two are tea tree and thyme - I wouldn't add them as more than 1% of the carrier oil to be safe.

Vermelha
July 31st, 2009, 01:25 PM
Well it'd definitely be healthy for your hair! I think you'd want to wash it with shampoo at least once a month though.

I'd think it'd work much better for people with super, super thick or coarse hair, I'd look like a greaseball if I did it.

If you're looking for antibacterial EOs, I think the best two are tea tree and thyme - I wouldn't add them as more than 1% of the carrier oil to be safe.

I thought so...thanks for the suggestion! Those were two I knew were great for the hair. And when you say less than 1%, would that be like a drop per oh-so-many ounces? I'll look it up. But thanks for the heads up. I've been a little too eager with oils lately and may end up hurting myself (and we don't want that, do we?).

And I agree, I think this is best for those with thick, coarse, curly hair textures, but If a person with straighter hair is serious about growing it out, I think this could help too! Not sure about fine hair though...

Edit: Oh yeah, 1% would be 8 drops of EO per 1 ounce of carrier oil. Need to add that.