PDA

View Full Version : Does CO Washing Clog Hair Follicles?

CavyQueen
July 31st, 2009, 06:10 AM
Hi! I am interested in washing with only conditioner, but I'm concerned that it will clog my hair follicles. What is everyone's advice? Thank you. :)

Vermelha
July 31st, 2009, 06:28 AM
Well, when I went on an Ayurvedic kick about a month ago, I read on IndusLadies that many think conditioners cause more hair fall/shedding.

I haven't used conditioner in about a month and my hair and scalp seem to be healthier (and I am getting less shedding). Once, I did, but I only applied it to the length to help detangle my ends.

But when I did co-wash, it seemed like my scalp was "ickier" and I never felt clean, even after several minutes of rinsing. I'm sure the organic varieties should do OK, since there aren't any waxes or cones and if you co-wash daily. But using regular conditioner didn't help me at all.

IMHO, my scalp felt better going the W/O route.

RancheroTheBee
July 31st, 2009, 08:43 AM
I don't know about clogging follicles, but I always definitely felt that it left a wicked build-up on my scalp, even after heavy rinsing. CWC is another option you can try.

Deborah
July 31st, 2009, 11:11 AM
No, CO'ing does not clog any follicles. Done properly, it cleans as well as shampoo, but does not strip the hair and scalp raw like shampoos can. Many of our members have been exclusively CO for very long periods of time (myself included) with only clean, shiny, lustrous hair and clean, non-flaky scalps as a result.

Some find that it doesn't work for them. Whether it is the condition of their particular hair and scalp, or user error, is not always clear. I do know that some just plop the conditioner on their hair, wait a while, then rinse it out. This is simply conditioning, not washing. To wash one's scalp with conditioner, one must wash (you know, massage and rub) the hair and scalp, much like one washes with regular shampoo, but for a longer time than with shampoo. If done correctly, the conditioner will produce a nice, light lather and will clean very well, but without stripping the hair or drying out the scalp. Then one must rinse very, very well, and for longer than one rinses after shampoo. When these two steps are done properly, the hair will be clean and shiny. Isn't that what we want?

Another problem that some create is to follow CO washing with another conditioner. This is not needed after CO'ing, as doing CO washing does not strip the hair, so no more conditioner is needed to replace the moisture stripped out by the washing. Adding this extra conditioner seems to weigh the hair down too much, so the overall result is limp hair. I have extremely hard water, so I end with an acid rinse, either vinegar (white or apple cider work equally well for me, but white is cheaper and doesn't smell much, so I prefer it now-days) or citric acid.

Those with extremely dry, porous hair may benefit from the second conditioner, but most of us do not.

So, in my opinion and experience, the keys to good CO washing are:

1. Don't just soak, rather WASH the head and hair well and long with the conditioner, producing a head full of light lather.

2. Rinse long and thoroughly.

3. Don't use another conditioner (unless your hair is extremely dry and porous.)

4. If needed, end with an acidic rinse.

I hope this is helpful. :)

CaityBear
July 31st, 2009, 12:06 PM
I've never had a problem with CO before. I've been doing it for a year or about a year and I find it cleans really nicely and keeps my hair really soft and silky.

Roseate
July 31st, 2009, 12:19 PM
Have you checked out the massive CO thread? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898) That'll give you a snapshot of how it's working/not working for people.

Whether it works for you depends on your hairtype, scalp and the hardness of your water. And possibly other mysterious factors- it just works for some people better than others.

But I've never heard of any serious damage coming from CO, and since it only costs about 99 cents to buy a bottle of VO5 and get started... give it a try! If it doesn't work for you, stop. :)

Honey39
July 31st, 2009, 01:43 PM
Don't think so - I've been doing it for well over a year, and it works like a dream for me. I only CO-wash (I don't use extra conditioner afterwards which I wash out). I do use a leave-in conditioner on my very ends.

I think Deborah is absolutely right - you have to *WASH* with conditioner, not condition, if that makes sense. And cone-free leaves my hair light and clean.

Longlocks3
July 31st, 2009, 02:47 PM
I've been doing CO only for about 3 months and I haven't had any problems. I'm an oily acne prone person too so I'm prone to clogging follicles and pores.

If you try CO make sure you do it properly and take your time. You have to learn to wash the conditioner out really well, my problem area tends to be the back of my head. I have to make it a point to get it all out. Also certain kinds of VO5 are more 'greasy' to me, so I'd experiment with more than one kind.

dernhelm
July 31st, 2009, 03:58 PM
I've been co for almost a month. I have been making sure that I am scrubbing my scalp (gently) and rinsing very thoroughly. I am an oily, acne-prone person. Just yesterday, I felt a zit on my scalp! Yup, it's still there and it's red :(
No other scalp problems so far, though. Maybe the Sauve Coconut I have been using is not agreeing with me?

jezebel17
July 31st, 2009, 06:47 PM
I had to stop COin because it caused me to shed like crazy. I have a really oily scalp and skin so I think in my case it was clogging my follicles. I was following the CO directions carefully, and even gave it more than a month to see if my scalp could adjust. I switched over to cwc with diluted shampoo instead and I love it!

Kirin
July 31st, 2009, 08:37 PM
It IS possible CO can clog hair follicles. Many have great success with CO, however that is due to the particular conditioners they are using. Conditioners containing wax (paraffin), and heavy mineral oils should be avoided as they are known to do just that.

The question is not does CO cause follicles to clog, but what conditioners cause hair follicles to clog.

Spring
July 31st, 2009, 08:58 PM
Maybe putting a few drops of peppermint in your conditioner and gently rubbing will give better results in cleaning the scalp. I learned of the idea from Traycee @ her website and it has truly been a blessing for me.

aksown
July 31st, 2009, 09:11 PM
I am a CO wash newbie but I've noticed a marked reduction in the number of clogged pores on my scalp. I tend to get really bad scalp acne but this seems to be helping it. It's not making my shedding any worse but it's not helping it either. :shrug:

dernhelm
July 31st, 2009, 09:26 PM
Hmm, I wonder if it is the suave that is causing my problem?:hmm:
I did have some serious greasy roots one day during my first week, but I nipped it with an acv rinse.

Since day one of my co I have noticed a dramatic decrease in shedding. I used to lose a ton of hair in the shower when I was using sulphates. I'm talking about three or four covered hands of hair! I am still shedding now, but it seems a more "normal" amount, one hand covered in shed hair.

CavyQueen
July 31st, 2009, 11:51 PM
Wow, thank you everyone for the information and advice!