PDA

View Full Version : one handed hair care

sayyadina
July 30th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I had surgery on one of my wrists last friday, and I have to wear a very bulky splint until 8/5. Then the doctor wants to put me in a cast for at least 3 weeks, but I think I'll go crazy, so I'm going to see if I can get a splint instead.

My challenge now is taking care of my hair. It gets very heavy when its wet, and I can't effectively use both hands to wash it.

I have been able to brush & braid it, and I'm finding it stays together better and doesn't get as tangled if I keep it wet. So, yesterday I braided it, and then rinsed it in the shower. And I rinsed it again today. It did mostly dry out between showers. Am I going to do any harm to my hair doing this?

One thing I've contemplated is going to a salon to have my hair washed, brushed & braided, but I'm not sure I want to do it. No one else has touched my hair in years, and having someone else doing stuff to my hair makes me a bit nervous. Also, I have several allergies & sensitivities, so I have to be careful about what I use.

Any ideas?

Oldive
July 30th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Is there anyone you can ask to help you? Friend, family member? Maybe not the washing part, but the brushing and braiding to keep it out of the way?

You can always give them precise instructions on how to take care of your hair.

SimplyLonghair
July 30th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Washing your hair in a braid shouldn't do damage, unless you are too rough with it.

I have seen ponytail washes even encouraged in some threads before, but it may have been a different forum.

I would suggest that if you do decide to have your hair done in a salon, bring your own stuff and let them know it is because of allergies. I would call and talk to them about it first, explaining your problems.

I think that a good stylist would be willing and if they are not, go elsewhere. They should know that allergies are nothing to down play or mess with.

Do you have a friend that can help out with something?

Otherwise what you are doing sounds good. And keeping it braided
will make it look better than loose and messie.

Good luck.
:grouphug:

sayyadina
July 30th, 2009, 06:14 PM
One friend lives over an hour away and the other is really busy. My dad could help with the brushing & braiding, but not really washing. Unless we used one of the sinks. Not close with my sister, and she's over 2 hours away.

I've just been rinsing it and massaging my scalp. Brushing isn't as gentle as usual, though.

embee
July 30th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Bless your heart, this is one of my nightmares. Especially as I do not wear my hair down, ever. How on earth could I make an updo with only one hand????

I think you'll be ok with your rinses, but I'd not do all that many of them. No point in having your hair wet all the time!

sayyadina
August 15th, 2009, 06:34 PM
After 3 weeks, I've finally managed to wash my hair!

It was getting to be a bit like stinky straw, so I shampooed it really good, conditioned and let that sit for a while, and used a leave-in that's worked well before when I brushed it out.

Getting it done did hurt my hand a bit, but I did it!!!

RancheroTheBee
August 15th, 2009, 07:38 PM
After 3 weeks, I've finally managed to wash my hair!

It was getting to be a bit like stinky straw, so I shampooed it really good, conditioned and let that sit for a while, and used a leave-in that's worked well before when I brushed it out.

Getting it done did hurt my hand a bit, but I did it!!!

:grin: High-five! Err, maybe not.

Flynn
August 15th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Sorry I didn't see this earlier; I would have suggested that you go to the salon and get it done in little braids. This is what we all used to do for long school camps when we knew we wouldn't be able to wash our hair properly. That way you can one-handed rub a little shampoo into your scalp as you need to, and otherwise not worry too much about it.

Darkhorse1
August 16th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I had to do this once when I had stitches in my one hand/finger.

Easiest way?

Use a high sink and have a cup handy. Use shampoo by opening bottle and putting it on sink so you can dab fingers of good hand into it. Massage into scalp. Rinse under tap, which will get soap out alot faster than in shower. Use cup to get places your hand can't reach. Repeat if necessary. Use a conditioner if you need--I used a spray on as it was easier.

Squeeze out excess by gathering hair in one hand--you will miss some parts, but you get the excess water out. lay towel over head and make turban(this takes a bit of practice with 1 hand). Let towel sit as needed. Remove and use wide tooth comb to remove tangles. Do this in sections as it's much easier on the 1 hand. If someone is there, I'd get them to either braid your hair or clip it all up.

Hope that helps! I did this on my own, but I did have partial use of the hand, so I could manage to seperate hairs and manage to clip it all up.