PDA

View Full Version : Can I? An Oil Question.

Maddy25
July 30th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I just bought Coconut oil after hearing such great stuff about it but my hair is not really long yet, I'm just trying to take great care of it so it will grow out healthy. What I'm asking is even though my hair is only this long...

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/Photo467.jpg

Can I still use the oil? Or should I wait? I wasnt sure if you could use it on shorter hair.

goodluckcharm
July 30th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I'm not an oil expert, but I would think you can use it in very small amounts on your ends. If its too heavy and makes your hair feel greasy, try something lighter for now, like jojoba oil and retry the coconut once you've gotten some more length.

thankyousir74
July 30th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I started around the same time as you did. My hair is a lot coarser, so I think it would be best if you, like the above poster said, use small amounts on the ends.

demitasse
July 30th, 2009, 12:27 PM
And don't use it for the first time when you have to go out or right after a wash. Experiment with it when you can wash your hair. I think most of us used too much the first time they tried oiling. You can't just brush out oil. If you put too much, you're usually stuck with it until you can wash it out. :)

spidermom
July 30th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I didn't use oil until I was somewhere between APL and BSL. My scalp is oily, and combing moved the sebum all the way down, so I really didn't need to add oil to my ends until I had more length.

GlassEyes
July 30th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I've used oil since I was shorter than you. Feel free; if you're worried about grease, you can always just use it pre-wash.

Heck, I slathered my head in oil before I could make a bun!

Madame J
July 30th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I bought coconut oil to use as a deep treatment before washing before I even found this forum. I was reading about argan oil after my husband's stylist recommended it to him, and found that coconut oil is another oil that absorbs into the hair shaft, and that isn't as expensive. I would slather myself in coconut oil, massage it into my scalp, and then wrap it in a shower cap and a silk scarf and chill for a few hours before washing. My hair didn't even brush my shoulders back then!

It's also really nice on freshly-shaven legs, and smells nice if you get the unrefined stuff. I used to bathe on Sunday night, shave my legs, and then slather my whole body, from the neck down, with coconut oil. It soaks in pretty fast, and you're just soft and lightly scented.

ecologystudent
July 30th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I used it when my hair was way shorter than yours. Just use a little bit, and see if you like it. At this length, I don't think my hair really needs it, but I kind of like it so I use it.

Rentlle
July 30th, 2009, 02:43 PM
hihi, fcourse you can use oil!!!
you can make a deep-co from it (just let it sit for an half an hour on your head and then shampoo it out) or a little (realy little) drop of oil, dividing over two hands and divide into your hair!!
oil is good for any hair, realy :)