PDA

View Full Version : I need to change my color! Don't like henna and don't like my natural color! Help!

melrose1985
July 30th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Okay… I totally hate my hair color! I’ve hennaed 3-4 times and my roots are coming in… I hate the color the henna has become and i hate my natural color and rally never plan on keeping it.

This is the hair color I truly want and have want for a long time…. Since before I starting henna. Please give me your recommendations on how I can get this… and I’m COMPLETELY okay with chemicals at this point. In moderation I really don’t think they are that bad for your hair… once I get this color with the rest of my hair I think just doing the roots when I need to and maybe all over every once in a while.

My thoughts are that I could maybe try nightshades method of sun in to light up my henna, and then maybe using a light auburn color over it to get the color I want. What do you think?

What i want:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3598&pictureid=46241

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3598&pictureid=46242

what i have:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2960&pictureid=45438

Thanks!

Medievalmaniac
July 30th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I wish I could help you, but I have no idea how to do this. I did want you to know that I think your henna color is lovely, if that's any consolation.

Nypsy
July 30th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I'm pretty sure you would have to bleach your hair and then dye over it, which would probably be really damaging. It would also be a good idea to get it done at a salon if you aren't experienced with coloring hair.

melrose1985
July 30th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I wish I could help you, but I have no idea how to do this. I did want you to know that I think your henna color is lovely, if that's any consolation.

Thanks.. It's not bad but i keeping going back wanting this other color. I've been everything else and this is the one i really really like.

melrose1985
July 30th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I'm pretty sure you would have to bleach your hair and then dye over it, which would probably be really damaging. It would also be a good idea to get it done at a salon if you aren't experienced with coloring hair.

This is why i was thinking of doing a peroxide treatment.

I know others on the board have had some luck with it.

And I'm okay with a little damage and being happy... And i agree i think bleach is a little much for home use for me!

SimplyLonghair
July 30th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Have you checked out Nightshades I lightened my hennaed hair thread? I know that she did it with Sun-In. I would try that on shed hair first and see what happens.

I just do my roots and nothing else and keep my hennaed hair the way that I love it. Otherwise it gets too dark.

This has kept the red I want for several years without rehennaing the length. Sorry to be no more help though...

I understand when henna gets too dark. I had to cut several years ago due to it getting too dark. :(

That was when I went to the roots only method.

SimplyLonghair
July 30th, 2009, 11:13 AM
If you manage to lighten it, then you could just lighten your roots and then henna. There are several that do that on henna4hair and they like the results.

I think that with someone to help it is a home doable, but otherwise I would do a salon lightening and then maybe henna... :shrug:

Trying to get the right color is hard sometimes. It took me years to get the color that I had as a child so I understand. Good luck!

melrose1985
July 30th, 2009, 11:19 AM
If you manage to lighten it, then you could just lighten your roots and then henna. There are several that do that on henna4hair and they like the results.

I think that with someone to help it is a home doable, but otherwise I would do a salon lightening and then maybe henna... :shrug:

Trying to get the right color is hard sometimes. It took me years to get the color that I had as a child so I understand. Good luck!

Thanks!

Yes i read nightshades post about sun in.. but i'm going to reread it of course... and i'm thinking this is my best chance.

NickalNack
July 30th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I'd say just hang around in the sun for a bit. Go on walks regularly if you don't already. Hang out at parks. Just expose your hair to a bit more sunlight than usual. Unless sunlight severely damages your hair, in which case forget everything I just said. Then again... I don't know what color your hair would turn by doing that anyway. It'd probably look cool though.

melrose1985
July 30th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Nickalnack... thanks... I do love the sun! so i'm out as much as possible anyways.

*** So i'm thinking maybe if i use color oops i can pull the black out and after a bit re dye with a bright color*** just stewing on that thought.

cjjester
July 30th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Use the honey lightening treatment, it is far less damaging to your hair - there is a deposit only colour line by Clairol called radiance. You can purchase it at Sally's if you have one or find it online. It leaves your hair in great condition and very, very shiny. I went back to henna as the deposit only won't cover my grey's- but I loved my hair when I used this product.

GlassEyes
July 30th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Do a search for Nightshade's thread about Sun-in lightening. Then I'd look into chemical dyes, or, if you DO decide to go back into henna, using a henna-cassia mix and doing roots only. Henna only deposits color, so if you've been doing whole-head applications, it's going to get darker each consecutive time.

Also, please, PLEASE strand test as Nightshade recommends. Don't just go straight into it.

melrose1985
July 30th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Do a search for Nightshade's thread about Sun-in lightening. Then I'd look into chemical dyes, or, if you DO decide to go back into henna, using a henna-cassia mix and doing roots only. Henna only deposits color, so if you've been doing whole-head applications, it's going to get darker each consecutive time.

Also, please, PLEASE strand test as Nightshade recommends. Don't just go straight into it.

I did read over her thread.

The only reason i'm thinking the color oops for now is becuase if i can get the dye out of my hair (black) it might not look so bad, and then i can stick to roots.

brok3nwings
July 30th, 2009, 01:55 PM
i think sun in for a while and then a semi or demi colour would be the option. The good thing about sun in is it doesnt lighten your hair that much in one process so you would have to do some and in the mean time you would have to do lots of good treatments for your hair. one process to change the colour is never the best...
but i really dont know how your hair would react as you have black chemical dye in your hair....

florenonite
July 30th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I think your best bet would be peroxide lightening (or honey, but that would take longer when you get to roots-only applications) followed by a henna/cassia blend.

Rentlle
July 30th, 2009, 02:41 PM
to get that colour you MUST bleach the hair, i'm afraid... :s
you can't go lighter that way just in a minute :)
I think it's a beautiful colour, It's something I try to get to.. :)
I'm using for the moment acajou/copper and chestnut henna togheter.
But my natural haircolour/starting colour is lighter then yours, so I would recomment bleaching, or Nightshades method?

Bellalalala
July 30th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Red can be a heartbreaking colour to covet.

I once had stunning...I mean, stunning, perfect red hair. It looked like I was born with it it was so perfect. My stylist coloured over light brown virgin hair, so it was idiot-proof easy to get exactly the right shade
for 2 weeks!!!!!!

Stupid red dye doesn't like staying in hair! grumble grumble.

Maybe someone else on here knows how to make red stay without hurting your hair, but I don't.

I feel your pain, good luck finding your solution!

Nypsy
July 30th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I just wanted to add that I had dyed my hair black a couple years ago, had the black stripped out and my hair dyed red in a salon, then had the same thing done about 2 weeks later because all of the black didn't come out and then I started hennaing my hair. I think your natural hair color is darker than mine though, so I think the roots would be a problem. Hmm.

melrose1985
July 30th, 2009, 05:32 PM
i'm going to have to dig up me with my natural color....

redneckprincess
July 30th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I know darn well you dont want to hear this....BUT.....I love your hair color... very pretty ♥ but if your not happy with it and you dont want to keep it, good luck and ...pics when your done!!

klcqtee
July 30th, 2009, 07:05 PM
You don't have to bleach your hair to do it. I would go to Sally's (or some other beauty supply store). I'd pick up the colour you'd want, and ask someone in there. They normally are pretty knowledgeable.

I would say you would use a 20 or 30 strength developer then use whatever colour you want. I like the "Ion" line. Didn't damage my hair too terribly much, even if I am regretting my colour choice.

Good luck!

SimplyLonghair
July 30th, 2009, 07:54 PM
You don't have to bleach your hair to do it. I would go to Sally's (or some other beauty supply store). I'd pick up the colour you'd want, and ask someone in there. They normally are pretty knowledgeable.

I would say you would use a 20 or 30 strength developer then use whatever colour you want. I like the "Ion" line. Didn't damage my hair too terribly much, even if I am regretting my colour choice.

Good luck!
The problem is that she already has henna on her hair and it is very tough to get off. She just needs to lighten the henna and then go from there.

Color off and the like won't do it. Henna just laughs at it.
I have been there and tried that.

Nightshade did a whole thread on henna lightening. Henna is permanent really (.)(.)

But once she gets the henna to a color that she wants she has the choice to color over that. With henna or chemical or other on the top hair color.

But to lighten henna, it would take a ton of bleach and it still might not. And that is way to damaging. I have had the fried hair to prove it.

Those of us how have been using henna for years have learned just how long that it lasts on hair. It is more lasting than any dye that I know. I really salute Nightshade for learning what worked on her hair and I hope that Melrose1985 has good luck using the information. I would then be very careful about what I put on top of it. Sometimes if you manage to lighten the henna, it won't hold any other color.
Just my :twocents: :flower:

I just know the problems that she is having trying to lighten henna that has gone darker than you want. I have been using it for years. and years, and years. :lol:

EynaraWolf
July 30th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I just hennaed my head for the first time about a week ago. I have the color that I want, but I have been worrying about keeping it the right color because my first Henna application was done over a dye job. So my plan was to maybe use honey to lighten the roots a bit before I did a henna application on only the roots. That might help to keep the color you want as for fixing the too dark color now, over on henna4hair I saw a post about a woman who's henna went too dark.

I'll have to see if I can find exactly what she did again, but she did a whole head honey application over night and when she washed her hair the next day, the henna did lightened. She got pink on her towel.

Hope that helps. :)

spidermom
July 30th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Idea: start out by trying to get highlights in the color you want. If this fails, you won't have trashed all of your hair. If you succeed, add more.

LuXious
July 30th, 2009, 09:48 PM
It's pretty as it is, but have you considered some kind of Manic Panic shade? Strand test. Always strand test.

klcqtee
July 30th, 2009, 11:23 PM
The problem is that she already has henna on her hair and it is very tough to get off. She just needs to lighten the henna and then go from there.

Color off and the like won't do it. Henna just laughs at it.
I have been there and tried that.

Nightshade did a whole thread on henna lightening. Henna is permanent really (.)(.)

But once she gets the henna to a color that she wants she has the choice to color over that. With henna or chemical or other on the top hair color.

But to lighten henna, it would take a ton of bleach and it still might not. And that is way to damaging. I have had the fried hair to prove it.

Those of us how have been using henna for years have learned just how long that it lasts on hair. It is more lasting than any dye that I know. I really salute Nightshade for learning what worked on her hair and I hope that Melrose1985 has good luck using the information. I would then be very careful about what I put on top of it. Sometimes if you manage to lighten the henna, it won't hold any other color.
Just my :twocents: :flower:

I just know the problems that she is having trying to lighten henna that has gone darker than you want. I have been using it for years. and years, and years. :lol:

I used the Sally's supplies I mentioned in an earlier post right over my henna (it was only about a one month old application) with no problems. The only issue I had was that my red dye faded quite a bit after one wash but over two months later, it's still just as red as it was after that first wash out stage! I would advise strand testing first, as well as patch testing on your arm (just a tiny tiny dab). I know that certain developers made my head really itchy when I first used them.

If you haven't done the dye thing from Sally's, understand, it is a bit different than what you get in a box at the grocer's, so be sure to talk to the employees at Sally's to be sure you have everything you need as well as how to do it.

SimplyLonghair
July 31st, 2009, 12:35 AM
I love Sally's and have used their dyes for me and my family and friends. Mom was a hairdresser.

I am glad that for you it worked, but for us, it didn't.

I know that henna sticks like glue to some hair and on some hair it fades right off. I have a friend that used henna and it two weeks it was gone. But as you see my hair holds on to henna, I only do roots and most of my hair is at least 3 to 4 years old on the length.

For me lighteners and peroxide just didn't work, I tried chelation (Ion's brand) and all kinds of things. When I wanted to lighten henna on my hair, that had gotten too dark. For me what happened was, I just ruined my hair and ended up cutting. :(

It might be that I have red hair anyway that is dye and peroxide resistant.

When my DD tried to go blonde it was only at bozo orange after three bleaching treatments and this was when she was not adding any henna to her red. :shocked:

That is what is so interesting about hair, some people get certain results from a product and others something else, that is why they say do strand tests and patch tests every time you do treatments.

Even things that you have in your diet can change your hair's reaction to things. I remember my mom saying that meds can too, but I don't remember which ones.

That is why I love this place, it is a great place to share what things work and what doesn't and help each other to find out what works for your own hair. :D :flower:

melrose1985
July 31st, 2009, 07:26 AM
redneckprincess-I know darn well you dont want to hear this....BUT.....I love your hair color... very pretty ♥ but if your not happy with it and you dont want to keep it, good luck and ...pics when your done!!
Well thank you! And yes no matter what i do OF COURSE!! Pictures!

klcqtee-You don't have to bleach your hair to do it. I would go to Sally's (or some other beauty supply store). I'd pick up the colour you'd want, and ask someone in there. They normally are pretty knowledgeable.

Good luck!
I've had 3-4 hennas on my head, so i wonder if that would be enough to move it with out wrecking my hair. And i dont get the developer? is this to lift your color with it deposits a new one?

spidermom- Idea: start out by trying to get highlights in the color you want. If this fails, you won't have trashed all of your hair. If you succeed, add more.
Well I wouldnt go and do it myself.... But are you talking about going and getting my hair foiled? If so, that i think is a good idea and i can't believe i didnt think about it. That would help lighten up a good deal... But even if it does do you think that the henna will darken in the next couple of days after?

I still have been giving this tons of though... At least 2 weeks right? :eyebrows: the reason i dont like my natural color is because to me it looks dull... So at some if i could grow out to natural hair (which willl take a good amount of time, i know) then maybe do a henna gloss, and then just do the roots with the gloss to give my natural color a little more sparkle, i think that might work... i know it will take a long time.... But i guess i have time because i'm going it long any way.

I know sometimes i post these threads and then i think about it and i know i should just no color in any way shape or form.

Nightshade
July 31st, 2009, 07:31 AM
I did read over her thread.

The only reason i'm thinking the color oops for now is becuase if i can get the dye out of my hair (black) it might not look so bad, and then i can stick to roots.

I honestly think you've got a good shot at getting what you want. Here's how the color of my hair has changed (naturally a medium to light brunette somewhere under all that):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1695&pictureid=32675

My '03 color seems pretty close to where you are.

I think starting with Color Oops is a good idea :) When I still had black streaks in my hair, Color Oops got most of them out, even through henna.

Even though other posters have covered most my advice, here's what I'd do in your shoes:

Strand test the ColorOops on a lock of your hair. I had to leave mine in for about 45 minutes rather than what the box says to get it to go for the dye under the henna. You may end up having to do more than one application, I think I did three in all to get the black dye and the burgundy dye mostly out from under the henna. This alone is going to leave you with a lighter red color. Make sure you use a serious shampoo as you take out the COlorFix, as this helps strip out the dye.For example- Here is an old lock of my hair pre-henna. It's burgundy and black. After testing ColorFix on it, you can see how the dye was removed (I only did the top half so I'd have something to compare), and you can see how the permanent chemical dyes I had been using had bleached my hair blonde underneath the color.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1695&pictureid=32729

Control One Hour (below)-The top strand was my dyed and then hennaed hair as a control.

The bottom strand shows my hennaed hair (that had previously been chemically treated). You can see that while it did lighten, the color was not as completely eliminated because of the henna. The henna itself was actually lighter for a few days, but darkened back up. The dye underneath the henna was gone for the most part, though.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1695&pictureid=20661

Once you know what ColorFix/Oops is going to leave you with, then you can evaluate the color of your henna. Being that most hair dyes do bleach the hair to an extent, you may end up with a pretty vibrant red just with this. If not, and you want a brighter red yet, I would try the Sun-In thing. Go SLOW. No more than one session every other week with lots of TLC in between. Since Sun-In is peroxide based, you can try pre-treatments with coconut or other oils to help minimize any damage. Ktani has a whole thread on this.
After you think you're getting close to the red you want, give your hair the slightest of henna glosses just to help with any damage you may have gotten to this point. Something like 75% henna 25% cassia.
Then you're going to have to try to match your roots to your new henna color. For me, I use a 65% cassia 35% henna mix with chamomile tea in it. I started at 75% cassia 25% henna, but there wasn't enough stain. I'd say start lighter, and inch up the henna, doing roots-only treatments as you need to.I hope that helps! Let me know if I can clarify anything :)

melrose1985
July 31st, 2009, 08:08 AM
I honestly think you've got a good shot at getting what you want. Here's how the color of my hair has changed (naturally a medium to light brunette somewhere under all that):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1695&pictureid=32675

My '03 color seems pretty close to where you are.

I think starting with Color Oops is a good idea :) When I still had black streaks in my hair, Color Oops got most of them out, even through henna.

Even though other posters have covered most my advice, here's what I'd do in your shoes:
Strand test the ColorOops on a lock of your hair. I had to leave mine in for about 45 minutes rather than what the box says to get it to go for the dye under the henna. You may end up having to do more than one application, I think I did three in all to get the black dye and the burgundy dye mostly out from under the henna. This alone is going to leave you with a lighter red color. Make sure you use a serious shampoo as you take out the COlorFix, as this helps strip out the dye.For example- Here is an old lock of my hair pre-henna. It's burgundy and black. After testing ColorFix on it, you can see how the dye was removed (I only did the top half so I'd have something to compare), and you can see how the permanent chemical dyes I had been using had bleached my hair blonde underneath the color.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1695&pictureid=32729

Control One Hour (below)-The top strand was my dyed and then hennaed hair as a control.

The bottom strand shows my hennaed hair (that had previously been chemically treated). You can see that while it did lighten, the color was not as completely eliminated because of the henna. The henna itself was actually lighter for a few days, but darkened back up. The dye underneath the henna was gone for the most part, though.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1695&pictureid=20661

Once you know what ColorFix/Oops is going to leave you with, then you can evaluate the color of your henna. Being that most hair dyes do bleach the hair to an extent, you may end up with a pretty vibrant red just with this. If not, and you want a brighter red yet, I would try the Sun-In thing. Go SLOW. No more than one session every other week with lots of TLC in between. Since Sun-In is peroxide based, you can try pre-treatments with coconut or other oils to help minimize any damage. Ktani has a whole thread on this.
After you think you're getting close to the red you want, give your hair the slightest of henna glosses just to help with any damage you may have gotten to this point. Something like 75% henna 25% cassia.
Then you're going to have to try to match your roots to your new henna color. For me, I use a 65% cassia 35% henna mix with chamomile tea in it. I started at 75% cassia 25% henna, but there wasn't enough stain. I'd say start lighter, and inch up the henna, doing roots-only treatments as you need to.I hope that helps! Let me know if I can clarify anything :)

YOu have givin me so much advice with that... I really thank you and hope you dont look at my (crazy!) thread and go OMG not another one from her....

But i was sitting her this morning thinking this same thing that.... If i colorfix/color oops... i mgiht actaully get to a little shade by having the rest of the dyed end finally cleaned up. I do think this is where i want to start, it's the cheapest and less amount a damage i think.

I can still see some dark bits in my ear say a little lower from my ear down. I only have about 1/4-1/2" of roots right now too. So you think just doing the ends will be fine or should i do the whole hair up to the roots?

I should have just did this the last time i asked about getting the black, but i wast lazy and did nothing. I just hate how in almost ALL pictures my hair looks black still... Yet in my siggy it does... and i dont know why. I know that different lights = different colors, but i just hate how it looks like i dyed it black and i havent.

melrose1985
July 31st, 2009, 10:02 PM
PICTURES!!! this is after one time with Color Oops for 45 minutes, washed 4 times, conditioned.

I think tomorrow morning i might do it one more time... but even this one has gotten tons of black out!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3614&pictureid=46395
this is with a flash

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3614&pictureid=46390
With NO flash

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3614&pictureid=46391
With flash

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3614&pictureid=46389
flash up close

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3614&pictureid=46394
flash up close.

Here you can see my natural color with black ends.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2854&pictureid=35882

So what do you all think? Why is it that up close it's so pretty yet far away it's different?

EDIT: there are more pictures in my albums.

Heidi_234
August 1st, 2009, 12:18 AM
melrose, I tested Sun-In to lighten my hennaed hair. My hair is as dark or even darker than your (I can't make out from the photo, and honestly I don't rememver my virgin color all that well :p). Sun in did VERY LITTLE to budge the color. Sun-In works best on blond hair, and works well enough on light-medium brown (Nightshade's virgin color is medium brown). Not well on dark hair (they say that on the packge themselves). Not wel AT ALL on dark hennaed hair.
I had a hairball, and I did about 17 Sun-In treatment before realizing the color just not budging. No difference whatsoever.
But obviously - YMMV. So test it. There's a good possibility Sun-In is not for you.
That said, I like your current hennaed color too.

klcqtee
August 1st, 2009, 12:30 AM
I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, and I love your new colour! It's lovely, and I agree, lighter is better on you (compared to the black).

To the best of my knowledge,this is what I know:
Developer is what makes the dye react and take to your hair. You recall that when you get the box dye, you have a creamy light coloured mixture, and a thin mixture that is the actual tint? You then mix the 2 liquids together in the little pointy capped bottle.
The white cream is the developer. The only difference between box dyes and Sally's is that the dye and the developer are sold separate. It's not much more expensive than the box dye to by both products. I think it really is worth it because I know box dyes hurt my hair a lot more.

GlennaGirl
August 1st, 2009, 01:05 AM
PICTURES!!! this is after one time with Color Oops for 45 minutes, washed 4 times, conditioned.

I think tomorrow morning i might do it one more time... but even this one has gotten tons of black out!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3614&pictureid=46395
this is with a flash

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3614&pictureid=46390
With NO flash

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3614&pictureid=46391
With flash

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3614&pictureid=46389
flash up close

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3614&pictureid=46394
flash up close.

Here you can see my natural color with black ends.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2854&pictureid=35882

So what do you all think? Why is it that up close it's so pretty yet far away it's different?

EDIT: there are more pictures in my albums.

OMG. You have the cutest haircut on earth. Just had to say that.

melrose1985
August 1st, 2009, 04:51 AM
OMG. You have the cutest haircut on earth. Just had to say that.

You know what's funny is that's not a hair but rather a bob cut from last sept grown out! But i did just get my bangs cut shorter because they where to long for me... Thank you for the compliment.

melrose1985
August 1st, 2009, 04:55 AM
I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, and I love your new colour! It's lovely, and I agree, lighter is better on you (compared to the black).

To the best of my knowledge,this is what I know:
Developer is what makes the dye react and take to your hair. You recall that when you get the box dye, you have a creamy light coloured mixture, and a thin mixture that is the actual tint? You then mix the 2 liquids together in the little pointy capped bottle.
The white cream is the developer. The only difference between box dyes and Sally's is that the dye and the developer are sold separate. It's not much more expensive than the box dye to by both products. I think it really is worth it because I know box dyes hurt my hair a lot more.

OH okay... If i dry my hair again i will have to look into this... I have sallys in town so i can easily get there.

melrose1985
August 1st, 2009, 05:00 AM
melrose, I tested Sun-In to lighten my hennaed hair. My hair is as dark or even darker than your (I can't make out from the photo, and honestly I don't rememver my virgin color all that well :p). Sun in did VERY LITTLE to budge the color. Sun-In works best on blond hair, and works well enough on light-medium brown (Nightshade's virgin color is medium brown). Not well on dark hair (they say that on the packge themselves). Not wel AT ALL on dark hennaed hair.
I had a hairball, and I did about 17 Sun-In treatment before realizing the color just not budging. No difference whatsoever.
But obviously - YMMV. So test it. There's a good possibility Sun-In is not for you.
That said, I like your current hennaed color too.

Thank you... I dont want to really sun-in mostly because i'm lazy. The color oops pulled a lot of color out and other then my hair needing a little TCL and some CO only washes for a bit, it's doing well right now. But back in the day when i was younger i did you sun-in and i was able to bleach (orangy in spots) oout most of my hair. But that was completely virgin hair at that time.

So I'm actually thinking i wont have to do the sun-in. : ) which i'm happy.

Heidi_234
August 1st, 2009, 06:07 AM
I'm really glad to hear you're somewhat content with your color now, and don't feel the need to put it though damaging processes. :) Less is definitely more in this case.

melrose1985
August 1st, 2009, 06:09 AM
I'm really glad to hear you're somewhat content with your color now, and don't feel the need to put it though damaging processes. :) Less is definitely more in this case.

It totally is! thanks for your input on this!

Rentlle
August 1st, 2009, 03:02 PM
hey!
I love your new colour :)

spidermom
August 1st, 2009, 06:12 PM
Be aware that your current color might re-oxidize to a darker color; I've seen people complain of it here after trying Color Oops or Color Fix.

melrose1985
August 2nd, 2009, 07:28 AM
Be aware that your current color might re-oxidize to a darker color; I've seen people complain of it here after trying Color Oops or Color Fix.

I did the color oops a second time yesterday morning, and i pulled TONS more out. And i'm waiting to see if it re-oxidizes because that too is what i thought might happen...

How long do you think that takes?

spidermom
August 2nd, 2009, 09:36 AM
I'm glad you're getting results. I'm not sure how long it takes to re-oxidize and darken (no personal experience).

florenonite
August 2nd, 2009, 09:40 AM
I imagine it would reoxidise in about the same time as a henna application would oxidise, so in a couple of days to a week. I've got no basis for this, never having tried it myself, but theoretically that makes sense.

23_seconds
August 2nd, 2009, 09:50 AM
||||||||||

melrose1985
August 2nd, 2009, 01:54 PM
When I used Colorfix, I noticed the color changed between the very next day up to 4 days, and by the end of that my hair darkened significantly in comparison to the first day I done it.

Yesterday morning after i did it i think my hair was orange out in the sun, but before my shower it looked darker but the light in there takes a while to brighten up so i'm not sure.

Well when it dries what it looks like.

Amara
August 2nd, 2009, 02:01 PM
I'm glad you're getting results... good luck. :)

heatherdazy
August 2nd, 2009, 02:06 PM
If I were you, I'd stay away from chemical color at this point. Color removers and bleach, fine, but actual traditional salon or box color, no. Once your color is light enough, you should just re-henna.

I don't know how you mix your henna, but when I worked at a salon that offered it, we used to mix the different powders together to get the right color. It looks like whatever henna you're using is darker and more violet than your target, so if you mix in a golden blonde color, it should get you where you'd like to go. Always start out too light, because it's easy to go darker.

melrose1985
August 2nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
If I were you, I'd stay away from chemical color at this point. Color removers and bleach, fine, but actual traditional salon or box color, no. Once your color is light enough, you should just re-henna.

I don't know how you mix your henna, but when I worked at a salon that offered it, we used to mix the different powders together to get the right color. It looks like whatever henna you're using is darker and more violet than your target, so if you mix in a golden blonde color, it should get you where you'd like to go. Always start out too light, because it's easy to go darker.

Well right now i'm deciding if i want to get closer to my natural color and just leave it. I'm not sure yet. But that's for the info, if i henna again i'll keep all of that in mind, or maybe try the rainbow henna because i know they use a mix. But the purple-y color is from the black dye because the color up above the dyed ends i have the henna color is kind of nice.

wavyhair
October 5th, 2013, 04:23 AM
sun is the one of the worst ways to lighten up hair use lemon chamomile and honey and cinimon (optinal ) wrap up and heat it under and dryer not putting it the heat directly on the hair then leave it over night and wash off in the morning after 2-3 weeks of doing this every few days lets day every 4 days then it be about 3 shades lighter and not dammaged then if thats not enough well do what ever you want.

wavyhair
October 5th, 2013, 04:27 AM
if you have copper tints use a clarifying shampoo best to use nautral because most un nuatral clarifying shampoos have harsher sulphates so nautral is better for clarafying also some herbs change the tone of hair so some add blue tones some add green and some add red blue are normaly nutrilizing so they balance out the hair colour.

Flor
October 5th, 2013, 04:58 AM
wavyhair, surely OP sorted this question out since July 30, 2009? It's been 4 years.

Lady Mary
October 5th, 2013, 07:25 AM
:brains: :p

MonaMayfair
October 5th, 2013, 08:57 AM
wavyhair, surely OP sorted this question out since July 30, 2009? It's been 4 years.

Hahaha, I certainly hope so!!