PDA

View Full Version : Brushing Question

WhitsEnd
July 30th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Ok, I am very new here and have a question about brushing.

I have given up the blowdrier and flatiron which I used to think I could not live without. Anyway, my hair has some natural wave but not really enough to do anything with. So after I wash I comb and oil. While it is drying I brush it straight a couple times until it is dry.

I have pretty good results with this after I sleep on it it's sooo soft, shiney, and smooth. It is so straight you would think I had used a flatiron.

My question is if the brushing could be damaging my hair.

heidihug
July 30th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Yes, it can be damaging, depending upon the type of brush you use, how you brush, and when you brush.

If you use a high-quality brush, you are less likely to cause damage to your hair. If you brush carefully, and stop when you get to a tangle to gently detangle by hand, you are less likely to damage your hair. If you brush when your hair is wet, you are more likely to stretch it out, and potentially cause damage. By using oils and hair-friendly leave-ins after washing, you will probably cause less damage.

Personally, I brush my hair, but only very carefully, when it is dry, and only with a Denman vented brush. Others here use their boars bristle brushes with good success. There are other brushes of good quality (if you do a search for threads with "brush" in the title, you will discover several good brands).

If you find that using your brush on damp hair works to help your hair look and feel more to your liking, and you are OK with the potential for a little bit of damage as a result, then there is no real reason to stop doing it. Just the fact that you gave up the blow dryer and flatiron will do volumes in helping your hair be healthier.

Maddy25
July 30th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I do the same thing as you, if I dont lightly brush my hair while it's drying it gets very puffy. I dont have an answer whether or not its damaging but I am curious as well.

Teacherbear
July 30th, 2009, 12:49 PM
The best answer to that question is for you to notice how your hair reacts to brushing it while it is damp. It also may depend on what kind of brush you are using.

I use a Denman (https://www.denmanbrush.com/store/storefront.asp)(classic styling) brush on my hair. It is the only thing I use to detangle my hair: wet or dry. I adore the thing! It acts like 7 combs all in one.

If I really want my hair straighter, I'll do what you do: brush it while it is drying. My hair is so wavy/curly that it doesn't stay "straight" very long, but enough for me to be content with it.

krn2891
July 30th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I do the same thing with my hair so that it is perfectly straight. I just comb it out really well with a wide tooth comb first then I start brushing it. If I get knots in it I go back to the wide tooth comb. My hair seems fine and what I notices is that it does not get as tangled with I do comb/brush out my hair after I was then if I ust let it air dry natrually. So I figure any damamge is off set by what I say in the lack of tangles for the week.

plainjanegirl
July 31st, 2009, 04:51 PM
I miss using a brush.
Thought about trying a tangle teezer since it is supposed to be safe and gentle on wet hair.