PDA

View Full Version : ♥ I did my first braid in over 1 1/2 years ♥ pics

redneckprincess
July 29th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I was sitting watching cartoons with the kids this morning while wating for the bathroom to take a shower, So I grabbed a few peices of hair, started to try a braid a few diffrent ways, and just before I gave up I decided to try a french braid and this is how it tuned out...

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll211/redneckprincess78/stuff%20hair/Picture006.jpg http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll211/redneckprincess78/stuff%20hair/Picture007.jpg

so after I decided to skip the shower and wear my hair like that all day....after getting dressed a friend invited us over for hot dogs and I decided to re braid my hair with a mirror so it looked neater...wellllllll.... I couldnt quite get it back up so hubby suggested two braids and I was kinda able to do something I was comfertible walking out of the house in....

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll211/redneckprincess78/stuff%20hair/Picture009.jpg

there a bit far apart I know but I was still proud of them...I'm the only person I know who even knows how to french braid. I can do MUCH better on someone else though

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll211/redneckprincess78/stuff%20hair/Picture010.jpg

I cant wait to see some braid waves!!!

Pics are in my album too

ETA: I did wind up taking that shower but without washing my hair that can now wait....

ETA: it has come to my attention these are actually called Dutch braids...read on to hear explination...

Maddy25
July 29th, 2009, 04:04 PM
AWWW YAY! Congrats on your braids! They look great :) I cant wait to be able to do all of my hair too <3

spidermom
July 29th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Looks great! I especially love the first 2 pictures with the ribbons of color. That is commonly called a Dutch braid (or underhand projected). The French braid is made by crossing each side over the center strand, rather than under like you did it. I find that Dutch braids stay neat much longer than the French.

neon-dream
July 29th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Pretty! Yeah, I like dutch braids better than french braids, they stay in my hair much longer :)

Rentlle
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauw, there so pretty!!!!!
love the difference in colour :)

redneckprincess
Looks great! I especially love the first 2 pictures with the ribbons of color. That is commonly called a Dutch braid (or underhand projected). The French braid is made by crossing each side over the center strand, rather than under like you did it. I find that Dutch braids stay neat much longer than the French.
why thank you very much for explaining, lol I told my husband the double braids were called dutch braids, I will have to tell him I was wrong. I can not seam to do the braid other side out on my own hair...oh well need to practice more..
gotta run dinners burning............

klcqtee
I like how colourful your braids are!

kdaniels8811
July 29th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Your braids are lovely and your hair looks thick and healthy. And I honestly love the two tone, that is really pretty! I am thinking some folks are going to be copying your hair... Congratulations on your growth. You are doing great!

ClareDee
July 29th, 2009, 04:25 PM
They look great :) Well done. The two-toned hair gives added interest too.

I'm at APL and I still haven't completed one of these (either Dutch or French) - in fact I've never done a full one in my life. I know how to do it, but my arms get so tired I never finish the braid. Lol. :o I am aware that I suck.

bttrfly857
July 29th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Those look really good! I love dutch braids, and the two colors look really awesome in yours! :)

RancheroTheBee
July 29th, 2009, 04:33 PM
:cheese: Cheese for you! The braids look wonderful.

Rohele
July 29th, 2009, 04:33 PM
They look really good - I love the way the different colours weave in and out.

It's funny you can't make french braids on yourself. I'm the opposite - I can never make a dutch braid on myself, but have no problems making french braids - must be the slightly different way the hair weaves.

teela1978
July 29th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Those look fantastic with the multiple colors!!!!

plainjanegirl
July 29th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Wow! Those look awesome. And the two colors looks so neat with the braid.

Gumball
July 29th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Ooh! Fantastic Dutch braiding skills! Your hair looks great! I think that your hair turned out very well. I'm another of those that think those kinds of braids stay just a little bit better than French braids simply because it's snugger.

Elphie
July 29th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I'm a much bigger fan of dutch braids than I am of french braids. I think yours turned out quite nicely and the color contrasts really make them interesting!

Speckla
July 29th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Beautiful. You need to post more pictures! Lovely!

redneckprincess
July 29th, 2009, 05:54 PM
They look really good - I love the way the different colours weave in and out.

It's funny you can't make french braids on yourself. I'm the opposite - I can never make a dutch braid on myself, but have no problems making french braids - must be the slightly different way the hair weaves.

I think its how the hair is held and which way it turns in befor crossing, but thank you...and everyone else too, wow what a responce I cannot name everyone individually...but Thank you all I absoutly LOVE the two tones more and more as Im able to do more updos.

Garnet66
July 29th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I really love your dutch braids. I'm impressed that you can do all these updos. Congrats.

Longlocks3
July 29th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I prefer Dutch braids for everyday use, they are cute and really make even my thin hair look thick. French braids are more 'professional' IMO. BUT WOW I remember reading not too long ago about how much you wanted to be able to braid and you are already there! Fast growing.

cjjester
July 29th, 2009, 06:03 PM
My hair is not quite shoulder length--- but I keep trying to french braid it. Darn I can't wait! Yours look lovely!

Flynn
July 29th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Congratulations!

Your two-tone thing makes for an awesome Dutch braid, you know. That is just so cool.

paper
July 29th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I love your braids. They look really cute! I think they look great with the 2 tone hair too.

redneckprincess
July 29th, 2009, 06:12 PM
again thank you all, I surprised myself with having been able to do such a braid already... I want to wear them forever, lol Im going to sleep in them and hold off my shampooing one more day to wear braid waves tomorrow, since I was still able to get half a shower in..lol

redneckprincess
July 29th, 2009, 06:14 PM
My hair is not quite shoulder length--- but I keep trying to french braid it. Darn I can't wait! Yours look lovely!
one day you will hopefully surprise yourself with a braid like I did.

Aer
July 29th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Congrats!!! I like the two tone look too. I remember when I was finally able to wear braids again, it really gave me the encouragement I needed to keep up with my goal to grow my hair long again, and it felt like a major step towards it too. Keep on keepin on!!!

ericthegreat
July 29th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Those are some killer French braids there! Keep treating your hair like its its your temple and it will grow back super fast........who knows maybe by the end of the year you could be past APL!

redneckprincess
July 29th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Those are some killer French braids there! Keep treating your hair like its its your temple and it will grow back super fast........who knows maybe by the end of the year you could be past APL!
thats what Im hoping for...thank you

Aer and yes it is great encouragement to keep growing longer and longer

Fiferstone
July 29th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Congratulations! The first time I tried to do a french braid I wound up with a Dutch braid as well, took a couple tries to perfect the "cross the strand over the top" thing. Are you lefthanded by any chance? I am, and I think that was part of my problem. :)

Medievalmaniac
July 29th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I am mad jealous...I can't braid. I mean, I can, but just the regular kind, no French or Dutch or anything like that, they always turn out looking horrible. I just haven't the knack. Which sucks for my five year old with the waist-length hair, who has to rely on her mummy for hairdos!! SIGH.

bakertwins2004
July 29th, 2009, 09:54 PM
LOOK AT YOU all cute and stuff. Rock those braids lady.

Laylah
July 29th, 2009, 10:15 PM
awww They look so pretty and cute! Sadly I'm already to waist length and can't figure out how to do any of those "attached to the head" braids, like french or dutch. :(

Teacherbear
July 29th, 2009, 10:39 PM
That is so wonderful! I remember finally getting to do a braid after my Dorothy Hamil Haircut :scared: I was so thrilled! :cheese:

Your braids look great!

Wicked Princess
July 30th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Those are gorgeous! Truly pretty color variation!

I'm completely inept at braiding my own hair, even though I've had fairly long hair my entire life. The first french braid I ever attempted was like...a week ago. It didn't turn out so well, haha. These pictures are a real inspiration to someone like me :) I'll keep trying.

Thank you :)

Aditi
July 30th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Your braids looks great, they are so colorful. Great job :)

Fencai
July 30th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Congrats! That's awesome!

free_hug
July 30th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Hey, they look good :) and your two colored hair looks sooo cool braided ♥

SimplyViki
July 30th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Congrats! Isn't it nice how braids can make two-toned hair look so interesting? Makes growing out dye a little easier, I think.

GermanCurl
July 30th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Congratulations ! Looking good.

melrose1985
July 30th, 2009, 07:18 AM
That came out so good! I'm totally jealous of you! A dutch braid... Man i wish i could do that and it seems like you did it with out knowing.

redneckprincess
July 30th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Congratulations! The first time I tried to do a french braid I wound up with a Dutch braid as well, took a couple tries to perfect the "cross the strand over the top" thing. Are you lefthanded by any chance? I am, and I think that was part of my problem. :)

nope im right handed, I just have a knack for crossing my hair under...always have...when I braid someone elses it gets braided over...I cant do a Dutch braid on someone else...but im gonna try...come here *{daughter of mine, lol}

I am mad jealous...I can't braid. I mean, I can, but just the regular kind, no French or Dutch or anything like that, they always turn out looking horrible. I just haven't the knack. Which sucks for my five year old with the waist-length hair, who has to rely on her mummy for hairdos!! SIGH.

I think its cause I had no friends as a child so I spent ALOT of time in the mirror playing with my hair

Congrats! Isn't it nice how braids can make two-toned hair look so interesting? Makes growing out dye a little easier, I think.
it sure makes it interesting ♥

again thank you to everyone else who responded as well

redneckprincess
July 30th, 2009, 08:19 AM
That came out so good! I'm totally jealous of you! A dutch braid... Man i wish i could do that and it seems like you did it with out knowing.
I really did, I braided it like I have been several times a day and turned to the kids and said..."how about THAT one, does it look like a braid" they were all like yeah put a holder on it and keep it like that...Im getting ready to take them out and rock some braid waves today!!

redneckprincess
July 30th, 2009, 08:40 AM
up dated braid wave pictures in my album...dont have time right now to load to photobucket make smaller and load on here just check out my album if interested...thanks

Vrushali
July 30th, 2009, 08:57 AM
They are soo soo pretty!!

punkgirl89
July 30th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Wow! I love the color contrast! Can't wait for my hair to be long enough for that!

Cynder
July 30th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Beautiful!

ChrissieM
July 30th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Beautiful! I really love the two-toned look

whiteisle
July 30th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Congrats! That's a great feeling when you can finally get enough length to accomplish a recognizable braid! lol They look great too! (I'm jealous.....there's no way my finger's and brain could coordinate like that :rolleyes:) Well done!

The Drood
July 30th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Love the contrasting colors. Grats on getting all your hair in a braid :D

jtl45
July 30th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I could use your skills!!! Great job and they look very nice!
Jim :)