PDA

View Full Version : Going backpacking, possibly not washing for a long time...HELP!!

CurlyOne
July 29th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Okay, so I am going on an 11 day backpacking/hiking/rafting trip soon and the class is mostly guys. I know guys can go a lot longer before their hair starts to look bad but mine deteriorates after the 2nd day. I have to carry everything with me in a pack so there is only room for little things. Anyone have any suggestions for keeping greasies down and curls looking okay for possibly 11 days in a row?

teela1978
July 29th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Put a hat on and forget about it :)

No one will look good after 11 days without a shower. I usually keep my hair in braids when backpacking, wear a hat during the day (helps keep your nose from burning too), and don't even bring a brush/comb with me. I've only ever gone for 6 days max though. Have fun!!!!

Calista
July 29th, 2009, 12:36 PM
You could revive your curls with water, and you can wear a kerchief on your head all the time. Unlike Teela, I always take a brush with me on backpacking trips, because I need it to keep my scalp clean.

And I fail to see why guys would be able to go longer without washing. If anything, the opposite would be true, because usually they have shorter hair, and IME the shorter the hair the faster it gets yucky. :)

pradabacon
July 29th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Braids and simple updos are probably best. I'm also a big fan of the baseball cap! :p For that long a trip, I would take maybe a dry shampoo and a brush or comb and little baggie full of hairties.

Just have fun and try not to worry too much about how you look. I'm sure the guys won't even care. They'll be impressed by you for being willing to go on a trip like that for eleven days. Most girls wouldn't. Show 'em you can hang with the best of them!

EtherealOde
July 29th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Wear braids to keep your hair under control firstly. Less tangle and mess to deal with. A bandanna and hat are good accessories for preventing dunburn and sun damage. Second thing is to get a conditioning shampoo bar or a good shampoo with conditioner. The bar is easier, but if you take the shampoo all you need is a few ounces. Put it in a smaller container, and make sure it is in a ziplock bag just in case. The last thing you will want is a small bottle of oil. You can use the oil to condition and detangle your hair at night.

You obviously will have access to potable water, as carrying enough water for 11 days isn't possible on foot. Rinse your hair well at the end of the day to rinse out dust and sweat, then let it nearly air dry or put it in a pony with scrunchies down the length to keep it under control. Once it is nearly dry you can braid it again, and you will be good to go. The daily rinses will lessen the need for a wash but when you need them you can dilute a small amount of the shampoo with water and clean your hair. Just don't forget a good wide tooth comb and you should be ok.

My husband and I go camping all the time, in primitive conditions, and I figure it is a time to just not worry too much about how I look. I just rinse for the dust removal, and only wash when needed which really isn't as often as you might think.

spidermom
July 29th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I'd keep it braided most of the time and take a comb with me so that I could comb it out and re-braid it from time to time, else the braids will get really fuzzy-looking.

Have fun!

Madame J
July 29th, 2009, 12:47 PM
AprilElf has a blog post about going camping and not washing her hair for something like 11 days. I think something that helped her was putting it into a bunch of small braids and just bunning the braids as necessary. She showed some pictures from her trip and didn't look dirty at all. I don't remember if her blog is friends-only, but you might want to take a look at her archives if you can.

Also, you might want to practice stretching washes now to get your hair used to not being washed as much. And if all else fails, cover up (http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/tying.pl).

Kirin
July 29th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Welcome to Kirin's cleaning hair camp style! It can be done, seriously, I've done it, even in sweaty heat infested enviornments!

Items you will need:
1 small camp towel.
Small mister bottle of water to refresh hair.

and any one of these products:
http://www.haircareusa.com/rinse_no_more_shampoo.htm
http://www.norinse.com/

These products are formulated for the medical community for patients who can't be over a sink or stand in a shower. They really do work, and can make you feel fresh in a non fresh situation. They may not be the most "natural" items on the block, but for a camping excursion, they will make you feel human!

KatKeRo
July 29th, 2009, 01:46 PM
When camping I put my hair in raid(s) and cover them with a buff. I also take my brush with me to brush my hair out every morning before rebraiding.
And afterwards: the first shower is heaven.

eternallyverdan
July 29th, 2009, 02:38 PM
If you have a couple hours to spare the night before the trip, you can put it in a bunch of very small braids and just leave it like that for the whole time. I put my hair in 25-30 braids and have left it like that for about two weeks, and it stays damage-free and doesn't look greasy. It takes me 2-4 hours to braid my entire head. If your scalp gets frizzy from baby hairs just put a bandana over it.

redneckprincess
July 29th, 2009, 03:30 PM
keep it in braids if you can or a bun, it wont show how dirty it may get as easly

Gingevere
July 29th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I usually put my hair in two French braids before or during the first few days of the trip. It just keeps your hair out of the way and the greasiness near your scalp will be less obnoxious.

If you get the chance, just rinsing your hair always helps. Otherwise, you could try dry shampoo. I've seen it in aerosol spray (not eco-friendly!) and powder form. I've used Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo, which is powder, but there are lots of brands that carry it. I just kinda split my hair into sections, put a bit of powder at the roots, work it in with my fingers, and then brush with a BBB to help spread it down. It's meant to soak up the excess oil and it works pretty well.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone will be having such a blast they won't even notice your hair! Everyone's is going to looks nasty after eleven days without a shower, so don't stress about it. Just have fun! :waving:

ktani
July 29th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I cannot get a take (understanding) of your hair colour but what about a dry shampoo like pure coco powder? http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=29787

nowxisxforever
July 29th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Braids/buns and a bandana. I second the recommendation of keeping a small wide-toothed comb with you to detangle every once in a while and rebraid.

The bandana will make sure you don't have to look at the greasy scalp, and the braids or bun will keep it from tangling up or getting in your way any more than necessary.

You're going out into the wilderness! It doesn't matter what you look like, it's not a fashion show! :silly:

manderly
July 29th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Bandana and ponytails/braids/buns :D

Anje
July 29th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Water only, braids, buns, a hat with a brim the whole way around, and a bugnet that you can put over said hat when the mosquitos are annoying enough that wearing one will look smart instead of stupid. Don't worry about the curls -- you're not supposed to look glamorous when you're backpacking. No one expects you to have freshly washed curls when they know you're also digging catholes.

teela1978
July 29th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I suppose you could take a comb... if my hair's been in braids all day it usually fingercombs out pretty easily though. Personally I see no point in lugging around any unnecessary weight, every ounce starts to count by the 4th day or so :)

myotislucifugus
July 29th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I wear a headscarf. Take a look at tzunius.com (if I've miscited that, someone please fix it, its also mentioned on the head coverings thread) for good ideas. Modest clothing companies often have suggestions. I personally like to just cover if my hair is icky.

krissykins
July 29th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I cannot get a take (understanding) of your hair colour but what about a dry shampoo like pure coco powder? http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=29787

I second this. Dry shampoo is magical :)

Isilme
July 29th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I would get a mister bottle of your own choice, a pair of sturdy hairsticks or a ficcare and a comb. That's all you need:) I don't know how your hair is but my would be a mess if I wore braids for a whole day, let's not talk about eleven days in a row without detangling! I would have to get a pixie after that ;)

plaidprincess
July 30th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I agree with the braids plan - about to go camping for a week myself and it'll be french braids all the way.

I find I don't have the time or inclination to mess about with my hair too much in primitive conditions. Just like healthy food goes out of the window in favour of pot noodles, so does my haircare routine.

Petra
July 30th, 2009, 09:15 AM
What I always do on trips or fieldwork (and I've done this without a shower for 3 weeks--yep.) is braid it and chuck it out of the way. I often take a brush to just redistribute the sebum along the length, re-braid and go. If you have a water source around, use some of the water-only techniques others have mentioned. My advice is to let it get gloriously oily and smarmy because you CAN. When you come home and wash it the first time it will probably be like mine always is--amazingly well moisturized, bouncy, full, and shiny--and for me brings my waves out a lot more.

Have a fabulous time and don't fret--enjoy the great outdoors! :D

nowxisxforever
July 30th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I don't know how your hair is but my would be a mess if I wore braids for a whole day, let's not talk about eleven days in a row without detangling! I would have to get a pixie after that ;)

Me, too :silly: My braids tend to look like poofy caterpillars, and I don't even have layers!

ericthegreat
July 30th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I agree with the dry shampoo suggestion. Just apply the dry shampoo powder onto your roots and brush it out really well, that will really soak up the built up oil and dirt you will accumulate over your 11 days out in the wilderness. I'm am apprenticing to be a hairstylist, and this is a beauty secret that many celebrities and models carry with them when they are in a huge rush to get to a photo shoot or a movie premiere and they simply don't have the time to go thro the process of washing, conditioning and obviously in their case blow styling their hair.

Also, you can experiment with all sorts of braids like French braids and quick and simple buns. This is the time for you to NOT be worried about your hair, instead take in the natural scenery!

patience
July 30th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I would also go with the braids and bandana. Wide tooth comb to redo the braids at night and in the morning. That's it. I wouldn't worry much about it.

Your trip sounds like a lot of fun. Hope you enjoy it.

...now, I really want to go hiking. :)

CurlyOne
July 30th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Oh wow, thanks for all the replies. First off I know I'm not going out there to look good, believe me I've been camping etc. a lot but never for this long and after 3 days I begin to feel unhuman with my very oily hair. I'm just looking for a quick fix. Those no rinse shampoos look interesting, I tink I've seen it at REI once or twice.
I was going to bring a shampoo bar but shortly after that idea I found out that my hair HATES bars. Where can I get a good dark dry shampoo? My hair a medium/dark brown so I don't want to use baby powder or something white if I can't get it all out.

florenonite
July 30th, 2009, 02:17 PM
When I go canoe-tripping I just put my hair in two French braids for as long as I can with a hat on top. When the braids need redone, I take them out when I'm swimming and massage my scalp underwater (but if you won't be around water you could just massage and "preen" a bit), then redo them when my hair starts to dry. I never even notice I have oily hair when I do this, but then I'm filthy as it is :p ETA: The longest I've gone is 42 days, so my hair certainly has a chance to get ridiculously greasy :D

ktani
July 30th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Oh wow, thanks for all the replies. Where can I get a good dark dry shampoo? My hair a medium/dark brown so I don't want to use baby powder or something white if I can't get it all out.

Then the cocoa powder thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=29787) (pure cocoa powder as as a dry shampoo), may be for you after all. Biodegradable too! And you can take extra to drink!

rhondalicious
July 30th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I agree with the people who have mentioned many small braids - as a teenager, I was a camp counselor for many years at different summer camps, and I'd do the braids for any time I was gone longer than 4 days, and it was really nice. I'd always wear a kerchief/bandanna to cover the scalp so I wouldn't burn, and it was also handy to dip in streams and drape around my neck when it was really hot.