PDA

View Full Version : I am sad. No I'm not. Yes I am. Hair help...

Friesiangirl
July 29th, 2009, 11:47 AM
My hair is now shoulder length and it was APL. It's so much healthier and happier. But I've come to a point where I don't know if I want to grow it back. I wanted terminal hair. I own too many hair toys. I just don't know anymore. It's now always in my face. But it looks great on me.

I just need encouragement not to keep it at this length. I don't want to but I do. Does anyone else feel like this?

If it was long now, I'd certainly keep it. It's just the journey, I'm afraid to take the first step. I'm afraid it won't grow any longer than BSL b/c I've never had it any longer than that.

I'm kind of pathetic about the whole thing. Too, I'm trying to eat healthier and exercise/meditate like I used to. I hope when healthiness as a whole comes, so will my hair.

The reason my hair has never been long was that I was a competitive gymnast most of my life and then I was in foster care, and children's group homes so they keep it shorter for maintenance mostly.

Hayley

AmyJorgensen
July 29th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I'd be surprised if you couldn't get past BSL if you are eating well and taking gentle care of it. You won't know until you try.

Marilyn Sanmo
July 29th, 2009, 11:56 AM
If i were you i would wait and let my hair grow. Later you can decide, what you like more. Short or long. I think you hair can be much longer then bsl, but you seems to like short hair to. not easy to decide. I think you should wait untill you really know, what you want.

Friesiangirl
July 29th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Yay! :cheese: My grandmother had very long hair, and so did my aunt (classic at least) and my father's sister once had waist length hair. So hopefully genetics are on my side. I would love to have calf-length hair, but how common is that?

Hayley

Maddy25
July 29th, 2009, 11:57 AM
You can do it :)

Watch some inspiring long hair movies and you'll want to do it (thats what I do!). Your further along than I am, keep going!

Friesiangirl
July 29th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks everyone. I think kind words really help. And looking at my hair toys. I've been in this journey for a year and a half, I think.

Hayley

talervo
July 29th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I used to have waist length hair and cut it because we moved to a really dry area. Until recently, I've kept it shoulder length. Since coming to this LHC I've decided to grow it long again. It is hard, though. My hair is healthier looking in the dry air when it is shorter.
Though, I did look at some old pictures with my long hair and it looked good.

Maybe you could look at old pictures and remember what it was like when it was longer? Aim for at least BSL and then go from there?

spidermom
July 29th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I believe that I went through similar feelings when I was in the early stages of letting my hair grow out. I was used to getting a variety of cuts and styles, which gave me instant gratification for "a change". Once you decide to grow your hair, you know that it's going to take years. Years and years. It can be a little intimidating. I've significantly cut my hair back a few times, and I think it was as much because I wasn't ready to handle the challenges of increased length as because I wanted to get rid of damage. And that's o.k. As purplebubba explained to me, when you're on a trip, you might be excited about getting from point A to point B as soon as possible at first, but then you see a sign announcing an interesting roadside attraction that is miles out of your way. There's nothing wrong with adding the side trip. It might even make the journey more exciting for you.

going gray
July 29th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Don't give in to those whims, keep growing your hair!

Deborah
July 29th, 2009, 08:07 PM
You are very young, and that is to your advantage on this issue. If you are in reasonably good health, you will most likely be able to grow your hair pretty darn long! Try putting it in interesting updos or braids most days. By doing this your hair will be protected from the elements, and it will seem to grow faster, as you won't be seeing it down as much. Once you get it a bit past your shoulders, the trip is much easier.

Keep in mind that at 17 it's not as though you have to make any permanent hair choice. You can have short, long, anything you want. It sounds as though you'd like to try long, at least once, so I think you should. Growing it long is really just a matter of what you don't do. Don't use heat styling, don't cut, don't dye or bleach, and before you know it you will have beautiful, healthy, and LONG hair! Give it a shot! :cheer:

Aer
July 29th, 2009, 08:09 PM
You can do it!!! If you have some family members who were able to grow it really long, then I'm 99.9 percent sure you can grow it really long too. I think genetics have alot to do with the length. I have seen people with family members not able to grow their hair that long, and they surprised themselves and were able to grow their hair out to great lengths. So you never know. If your eating better, and trying to be healthy you shouldn't have a problem. Also, if you can, take biotin supplements, Puritins Pride has good ones. And, it seems since I started using shampoo bars, without sls, my hair has really took off. Scalp massages help too.Its fine to to experiment with different styles and cuts too, when I was a teen, my hair was different every 3 months, I had alot of fun, I started growing my hair out when I was twenty, and the journey has been fun too, I got discouraged a few times, but its been worth it.

RancheroTheBee
July 29th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Try not to imagine the journey of growing your hair as this arduous, years-long task. Take little steps. Decide not to trim for... six months, let's say. In the meantime, focus on something else. Learn how to bookbind or something. When the six months is up, decide if you like the new length. If you do, but still want a trim, do a microtrim and go on a trimming hiatus again. It seems to be working for me.

LittleOrca
July 29th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Maybe ask someone to photoshop what your goal length it. Sometimes it is easier to believe in yourself if you see what it would look like at goal and how wonderful it will be. :)

Reptilia
July 29th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I went through this a couple months ago, too. At that point I was just above BSL. You WILL get used to it, and it will come faster than you think! Think of the long term and just stick it out. I would say after several months if you still want to cut, then and only then should you do it.

Friesiangirl
July 29th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Aww, you guys are awesome. I never really blowfried, teased, used hairspray or shampoo most of my life. I did dye, but I haven't in almost 2 years! I hadn't cut in a year as well. I think it was time... :/

I took pictures of it, and it isn't as short as it feels.

I'll post before and after pictures in another thread!

Hayley

plaidprincess
July 30th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I think I know how you feel - I've had a lot of trouble deciding if I want to go past various lengths, I see pics of myself when I had shoulder length and think it actually suits me better - but I really want long hair!

I figure that I can grow it to waist and see how it looks - if I don't like it I can always cut it. This site is so inspirational though, every picture makes me more determined to get to my goal.

Lilli
July 30th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I have these same feelings all the time. To be honest, I think my hair looks best between just below shoulder and APL. Even that seems so far away. Anyway, I feel ya.