PDA

View Full Version : How often do you S & D?

bakertwins2004
July 29th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I think I am going to go the route for a while instead of triming. I wonder how often do I go hair by hair looking for damage?

bahannas
July 29th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I look for splits/damage any time the lighting is good. There's usually a pair of scissors somewhere nearby. :)

Sarah4983
July 29th, 2009, 11:26 AM
A couple months ago I was S&Ding like, once a week... and when I was bored in between that time I'd grab the shears and do some more. I'm unemployed so it was a good way to kill the time. :o

I noticed I started getting almost obsessed about making sure I had all the splits...and I would think about S&Ding often, heh, so I had to cut back before I drove myself crazy.

The last time I did was about a month ago, so I'm going to try to stick with doing a good S&D once a month or so. I'm sure that's enough to get a lot of the splits.

demitasse
July 29th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Um, never? I don't have any damage from chemicals so the split ends are minimal. I get a trim a couple times a year—thanks Mom!—but other than that, nothing.

Bellalalala
July 29th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I think it really depends on your hair and what you do to it.

I used to have split ends within a day or two of cutting my hair, no matter how short I cut it. However, now that I'm WO I have pretty much no split ends. I cut my hair right before starting WO and it's been over two weeks and I have ZERO split ends, so now I know that I can go at least 2 weeks for now.

Watch your hair closely and you'll get an idea of timing.

shadowclaw
July 29th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Before joing LHC, I almost never did a S&D. After joining, I did one or two, but didn't find many splits. Then I decided to go coneless. I then found myself going through my hair almost everyday because I'd keep missing some. This went on for about two weeks. I had a lot of splits hidden by those cones! It's been over a month since going coneless, and while I do have some splits that I notice now and then, I don't worry too much about them. I'll probably do one soon.

dulce-de-leche
July 29th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Whenever I'm bored,while waiting in the car for kids to get out of school,& whenever I see a split.:)

MuzicalH3rb
July 29th, 2009, 12:45 PM
All the time! I'm addicted!

Vermelha
July 29th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Too often. I used to S&D once or twice a month. I had to put my hair away though so that I don't get the urge again. I'm afraid I've probably been cutting more healthy ends than damaged ones (I know, not the point of S&D)...

spidermom
July 29th, 2009, 12:57 PM
When I've got to wait for something, like in line at the drive-through window at the bank, I'll do a little S&D. I've got scissors handy when I comb out my hair because if I hit a snarl, I'll stop and look at it, and there are often split ends involved, so I snip them off. The last time I sprained my ankle, I S&D'd while I sat around with an ice bag.

It passes the time, but I don't think it really contributes a lot to the overall health of my hair. I have probably 120,000 hairs, and there's no way I could ever look through enough of my ends to catch a significant number of splits. So I don't do it on a schedule or anything.

freznow
July 29th, 2009, 01:47 PM
S&Ding really reduces tangles for me, but I'm too lazy to remember to do it often, so I only pick up the scissors about once a month when the tangles get pretty bad.

Sif
July 29th, 2009, 01:53 PM
It's my new favorite past time, I do it when I'm sitting at my computer waiting for my boyfriend to get home from work.

mugglemomof3
July 29th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Every darn day that I wear my hair down. I'm addicted to it.

I also have the annoying habit of twirling my hair, and as I'm doing that I'll find rough spots and I have to put on my magnifying glasses, hunt down the split, and snip it off.

I totally bug myself with this obsession. :rolleyes:

marajade
July 29th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Seems to be whenever I remember to do it or when I'm bored etc. Pretty much happens about a couple times a month. To be honest, most of my hair is fine as far as split ends go, I have very few. I tend to get split ends in one area in the nape area of my neck. I think this is my baby hairs that try to curl up, get tangled and I accidentally rake through them and they break. So, I've made an extra effort to be careful with that area of my hair.

Kiraela
July 29th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Whenever I'm bored, waiting for something, etc. and have nothing better to do.

Then again, I've got a ton of damage on the ends that needs constant attention, so I'm snipping the splits on the same hairs over and over again.

thankyousir74
July 29th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I look for splits/damage any time the lighting is good. There's usually a pair of scissors somewhere nearby. :)

What she said. For me it gets kinda addictive, as in I do it on the phone and on the computer rather constantly. (especially if I'm waiting fot something to load up)

desertgirl
July 29th, 2009, 03:17 PM
As often as my hair needs it. I periodically check for split ends. I'm growing out some fringe/bangs in the front (it's almost the same length as the rest of my hair) and it is most likely to show the damage first (it's also used and abused the most... I have a bad habit of playing with my hair when it is down). If I don't see splits there, I leave the rest of it alone.

redneckprincess
July 29th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I can not see all of my hair ends just yet but the ones I can (closer to the front) whenever I'm bored I find myself looking at my ends

Deborah
July 29th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Never.

1. I'm way too lazy. :sleep:

2. My hair is not prone to split ends.

3. I can't think of anything more boring. :monkey:

spidermom
July 29th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Never.

1. I'm way too lazy. :sleep:

2. My hair is not prone to split ends.

3. I can't think of anything more boring. :monkey:
Oh yes; boring is the word all right. You have a point.

Brat
July 29th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I see and touch and look at my ends every single day. I can't do it at work cause I'd get lost in it (cause that's the BEST light!) and I want to keep my job. At home, the light sucks and I have a hard time seeing them. If there's a particularly nasty one at work, I can't help it, I gotta snip it. It's so hard not to obsess!

Reptilia
July 29th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Sometimes I will several times a week, other times I won't do it for weeks! If I see some splits and have good lighting I'll go grab my scissors. I find it works REALLY well! Just sore on the eyes, lol.