PDA

View Full Version : Advice please.

going gray
July 29th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I'm sure this subject has been written about many many times, sorry if it's redundant.

Made a major blunder & had my 23" hair chopped & styled very short with layers all over. Nice looking I guess, but not me. Funny I think I look older not younger! Feel like a fool, & I know what I'm in for too! Now only after 1 month I want to grow it back.

Question is, what's the best course of action, dustings every 6-8 weeks or just letting it grow for a 4-6 months & then a good trim. My goal is all blunt, all one lenght BSL. (yes again for the 3 rd time)

Hoping I learned my lesson this time!!!

Thank you again LHC members, as always, for the great advice.

BlackfootHair
July 29th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I would let it grow as much as you can stand, and access where you need trimming. Usually for me, I let it grow 6 months or so and by then the bottom layer is so much longer than the top layer. I then cut the bottom layer up, and have them keep the length everywhere else as much as possible and just trim the very ends to even it up. Hair grows at different rates all over your head it seems, so when growing out layers, sometimes you have to let them even the ends up.

For me it feels so much better. Even though the bottom layer looses a lot of length, I am happy that the new bottom layer is much closer to the top layer, and the top layer has grown out so much.

I hope this helps!

SimplyLonghair
July 29th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I would suggest "If you have a good stylist" go and get it trimmed so that it lays better as it grows. Of course I have hair that stands and waves at people at short lengths, so I am all for control. :silly:
But if you don't have a trusted stylist, let it grow to a point and even it up then.
Good luck in growing. :grouphug:

spidermom
July 29th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I would probably go in every 2-3 months and have only the bottom trimmed a little. The layers will catch up faster that way. Just be very careful with your hair so that the layers don't get damaged.

AmyJorgensen
July 29th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I'd do the 4-6 month trim. That's what I've done all my life and it is very easy to keep a blunt hemline with that kind of frequency. I don't know I guess, but my honest opinion is dusting every 6-8 weeks is a waste of money (if you go somewhere to get it done) when you are trying to get length. By the same token, I would not just wait a year or two and trim if you are after a blunt hemline. I think 4-6 months is perfect. 6 months is typically what I do, but I have been maintaining instead of growing.

going gray
July 29th, 2009, 09:11 AM
THANK YOU LADIES, I appreciate all your replies & SO fast too!

Realize now I should have come to LHC & "talked" it all out BEFORE cutting my hair, but why do the smart thing!!!

AmyJorgensen
July 29th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Doing the smart thing all the time probably isn't as exciting. ;)

Lamb
July 29th, 2009, 09:17 AM
How often you trim will depend a lot on your hairdresser. For most stylists, it is easier to take off 0.5-1" than to do a dusting. Hence the incessant complaints about stylists taking off too much - it's always too much for someone growing their hair, but for a stylist, it might be the smallest amount their eyes and scissors can handle.

Kirin
July 29th, 2009, 10:19 AM
You might wish to learn how to trim your own hair, this way, there is no confusion and no stylist to be blamed. My hair was pixie cut, and though it is curtailing my growth, I have done trims of about an inch every 5 - 6 months to get that choppy layered look to go away.

Anje
July 29th, 2009, 11:56 AM
What's actually best probably depends on how split-prone your hair is, and how scissor-happy your stylist is. Splitty hair probably ought to get a dusting every 8 weeks or so, and as others have said, scissor-happy stylists are to be avoided for as long as possible between trims.

Me, I'd probably just let it grow, and take off a few inches once it's gained length, but I'm lazy and I have my own scissors.

going gray
July 29th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Saw my hairstylist today a great understanding gal, by the way. She lightly trimed my nape & we decided to let it grow out for 3-4 months or until it gets unmanagable & then only a tiny trim.

I told her about LHC & you wonderful ladies.

Thank you all!

marajade
July 29th, 2009, 02:13 PM
As someone who's gone through the same thing, you just basically need to decide if you are ok with letting it grow a bit, and having a big chop OR microtrims for a while. I had a couple of bigger trims ( the first one was 3 inches, this last trim only 1 inch). It was annoying in between. I am almost done!