PDA

View Full Version : Trimming

withlove
July 28th, 2009, 09:26 PM
When is it acceptable to stop trimming your hair? Do you have to have absolutely no damage, split ends, etc.?

MsBubbles
July 28th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Whenever it's acceptable to you!

Depends on your hair, your preferences, what you want yours to look like as it grows, etc. For example, I have thin, straight hair and don't think it looks good with a natural taper because the ends look straggly. So as I grow it I'm doing little self-trims along the way.

If you have a ton of split ends that you can see very easily, you might want to trim those off first so they don't split up the hair shaft even further and ruin your quest for length.

Not sure if this answers your question.

CaityBear
July 28th, 2009, 10:10 PM
It's all up to you. My advice is just that if you have a lot of split ends to trim them off before they move up the shaft. But if you don't feel the need to trim your hair, then don't! There is no rule saying you much trim your hair.

jennylouwhoo
July 28th, 2009, 10:47 PM
whenever you want to stop trimming. If you love your hair the way it is don't trim by if you want to get rid of damage or splits the do that then stop trimming.

withlove
July 29th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Thanks ladies. I used to bleach my hair and dyed it back to brown in February '09. I have been trimming my hair every 2-3 months since then and I recently stopped using heated styling tools. Hoping to stop trims for like 4 or 5 months now to get some length!

EynaraWolf
July 29th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I say go for the no trims. The worst that happens is if you don't like the ends, than you'll end up getting a little more taken off than you normally would, but than be back to no trims again.

JamieLeigh
July 29th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Sometimes trimming can actually help cause more splits than stop them, since hair doesn't naturally grow so bluntly on the bottom. The hair shaft is more fragile at the bottom after it's been snipped. I personally trim, but I just didn't want you to think that trimming is the magic end of split ends.

I would only trim if you're getting rid of old damage that you absolutely CAN'T live with and be happy, or if you like a blunt or shaped hemline. Other than that, no trimming is perfectly fine. :)

LaurelSpring
July 29th, 2009, 07:49 AM
It helps to set a date. I joined the no trims for 2009 thread and keep posting my progress as the months pass. I had one last trim right after Christmas Dec 08 and havent trimmed since then. If you feel that your ends are good now and wont have the urge to nip at them then just join into that thread and keep on keeping on with it.

sweet*things
July 29th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I'm growing out some weird winter-dryness related damage, so I'm definitely in a trimming phase right now, but when I don't feel my hair is damaged I don't trim at all. I'll S&D once or twice a year and not really have splits.

If your ends are in good condition and you're not either wanting to stay a specific length and/or prevent fairy tailing, there's no real reason to trim.

spidermom
July 29th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Sometimes trimming can actually help cause more splits than stop them, since hair doesn't naturally grow so bluntly on the bottom. The hair shaft is more fragile at the bottom after it's been snipped. :)

This doesn't seem to be true on my head. It's usually the shorter, untrimmed ends that split, not the ends of the longest strands, which have been trimmed many times. I think my hair looks more well-cared-for with trims.

But I agree with everybody else - don't trim unless you want to and/or have damage to get rid of.

Marilyn Sanmo
July 29th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I have tried to trim my hair once, but the splits et worse after that (I used bad scissors). After that i stoped to trim, and it's getting better with my ends. You must decide at you own if your hair needs to be trimmed or not.

withlove
July 29th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks everyone! My last trim was on July 11, so I think I'm gonna stop trimming for a year!