PDA

View Full Version : Natural remedies for itchy scalp?

Leonne
July 28th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I'm new to your site. /wave

I did a search for this before posting, but didn't come up with any good results.

I have to use dandruff shampoo for a very itchy scalp. And now it's not even working effectively, I'm using it almost every day.

What remedies have been effective that don't damage hair?

Thank you!

ktani
July 28th, 2009, 08:59 PM

I did a search for this before posting, but didn't come up with any good results.

I have to use dandruff shampoo for a very itchy scalp. And now it's not even working effectively, I'm using it almost every day.

Thank you!

Welcome to LHC!

Have you seen a dermatologist for your scalp problem or are you treating the condition on your own?

There can be several reasons why your scalp is itchy and the best way to treat it is dealing with the problem, if you can identify it.

If you are using your dandruff shampoo every day and it is strong, it may be drying your scalp.

There are natural plants that can help but the best thing to do is treat the problem.

Catnip tea is a specific for scalp irritation and it can calm itch, provided that you are not allergic to it. Patch testing is strongly recommended.

Here is the Catnip Article, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118

You can just brew the catnip for 30 minutes or until cool. You do not have to leave it on your scalp covered, for any length of time but it will not hurt to do so.

SpecialKitty
July 28th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I recommend trying to find out the cause of the itchiness, rather than trying to treat it with a special shampoo or conditioner. Several things can be causing your itchy scalp. For me, itchy scalp was a mixture of things: an allergy to chlorine in my water, food allergies, and shampoo/conditioner allergies (to certain ingredients). You'll have to search through trial-and-error to figure out what is causing your problem.

You might try a shampoo with very simple ingredients - coconut based, few essential oils or fragrances. Something like Giovanni's, Avalon, or Aubrey's, or even a shampoo bar. It also may be your water - if you have chlorine residual (most city water does), or if your water is especially hard (minerals) or soft that can sometimes cause scalp and skin problems.

Hope your scalp feels better soon!

bjjowett1993
July 28th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I would suggest using tea tree oil, n combination with oregano oil, and do a scalp massage. tea tree oil will most likely work on it's own, but oregano is fabulous, and tea tree oil is generally the cheaper of the two. :)

Jenny.Wren
July 29th, 2009, 03:37 AM

Thank you!

I personally would drop the dandruff shampoo - do you have dandruff or just an itchy scalp? They are very strong, especially when used every day.

I've been experiencing an itchy scalp for a few months now (18 to be exact). After various visits to the doctor and trying loads of medical shampoos - not nice - and a steroid scalp application, it really didn't clear it 100% - besides, I wanted to stop the cause, not treat the symptom.

I have now stopped using chemical hair dyes and use Henna, I am now using sulfate free shampoos, scalp oils, coconut oil too. I'm also doing ACV rinses. I'm still not there yet but it has improved. I have no signs of redness, bumps, scabs or anything, just that annoying itch so i reckon it's got to be years of heavily perfumed shampoos and hair dyes

Fethenwen
July 29th, 2009, 03:49 AM
It might be that the shampoo is too harsh on your scalp. Or that there is other factors involved, if your scalp is always really itchy, a visit to a dermatologist like others have pointed out, would not hurt.

Tea tree oil, lavender, rosemary are some natural remedies that might help. Don't use them undiluted, you could add them in some oil, mild shampoo, conditioner or vinegar. I really would recommend apple cider vinegar rinses with some essential oils added, it is super soothing for itchy scalp.

About one table spoon of vinegar in five cups of water + a few drops of oil. Pour over wet newly washed hair, and let it sit for a while, massage your scalp and then rinse it out.
Lovely :cloud9:

Wicked Princess
July 29th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I second Fethenwen's suggestion for mixing a slight amount of vinegar in some water. It's more under control now, but my scalp used to itch too. It took me awhile to discover that I was actually allergic to one of the ingredients in my shampoo. After I learned about vinegar rinses, it has REALLY helped - it actually took care of the problem completely.

If you are using such a harsh soap product for your scalp every day, it's most likely that you are drying out your scalp. The acidity of the vinegar should help return the skin there to its natural pH level and help you feel less itchy and more moisturized.

If you continue to have problems, though, I would really recommend seeing a dermatologist. It could be a sign of a deeper issue (i.e. allergies).