PDA

View Full Version : "Biggest" bun for BSL hair?

Tangles
July 28th, 2009, 05:56 PM
So my hair is already sort of past BSL and I still can't do a bun that looks reasonably big, even though my pony circumference is getting back to what it was before my big shed. I've been doing coiled cinnabuns from laziness. I don't have time to try out a bunch of different buns right now so I will be taking suggestions :)

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 28th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Sock buns can be pretty big and if you want a less harsh more messy look to it check out the bun on the sock bun or bread head thread :) Other than that I am not sure since my buns still look kind of small and I am almost at waist, you could try a lazy wrap maybe?

spidermom
July 28th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Without twisting, twirl your hair around and around like you're making a cinnabun, then tuck the ends under. Use a claw clip at the bottom of the donut you created. The top part of the bun will collapse over the claw clip, making quite a large-looking bun.

Fencai
July 28th, 2009, 06:57 PM
i second the sock bun or bread head thread!
I have just past BSL and my bun was HUGE! in the pic its hard to tell where the bun ends and my head begins!

Tangles
July 28th, 2009, 07:07 PM
That does work spidermom, problem is claw clips don't hold very well, esp if I don't coil first. My hair is beginning to get heavy, even though it's only on the higher end of ii... I may have to get a bigger claw, but I don't like how those look! Hmm... could I do that same updo with pins somehow??

Bunnyhare
July 28th, 2009, 07:10 PM
sock bun or a rat in the bun is the best way to make it BIG!

heatherdazy
July 28th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I don't know much about sock buns (couldn't find the original thread!), but you could get a foam donut from Sally's and bobby pin the hair over it.

Norai
July 28th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Lazy wrap bun is pretty big as buns go for me. :)

pradabacon
July 28th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Here's a link to the gigantic sock bun for anyone who's curious. It's really amazing!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=29777

hellkitty
July 28th, 2009, 08:59 PM
In addition to sock bun (and bread variant) and the Lazy Wrap, I have pretty good luck making a sizeable bun with a nautilus bun style. For some reason, that wrap of hair prevents the bun from being the rock hard tight and small little knot my usual cinnabuns are.

There's a youtube video (I can't access it from this computer, sorry) I think called 'banana bun'. The ladies who do it are French. It's a nice big schwoopie bun held by claw clips.

HK

MsBubbles
July 28th, 2009, 10:01 PM
That does work spidermom, problem is claw clips don't hold very well, esp if I don't coil first. My hair is beginning to get heavy, even though it's only on the higher end of ii... I may have to get a bigger claw, but I don't like how those look! Hmm... could I do that same updo with pins somehow??

Have you tried several little claw clips? I don't have heavy hair so that might be a bogus suggestion (sorry!). I find though, that the little ones help disperse the weight of the hair more evenly throughout the bun.

Pretzel bun anchored with little tiny claw clips around the edges right before the whole thing springs loose. This looks bigger on my hair than a neat, tight pretzel bun. I just have to pretend I'm just casually putting it up to run out to the store, so it works :p

Arctic_Mama
July 28th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Sock buns are, hands down, the best for the appearance of size, but looser coils or braided coils always look pretty big on me.

Zéphine
July 28th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Flattish buns take up a lot of area; maybe try a braided bun (the kind with two braids pinned in opposite directions) or a vortex bun.
If you want something with more "depth", you could do some kind of messy bun. I sometimes put my hair up in a looped ponytail, then arrange it artistically and stitch it to my head with sticks. Depending on how loose it is, it can get pretty huge.