PDA

View Full Version : How to make thicker hair?

miansc
July 28th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Hello everyone!

I signed upto this forum on my mum's behalf. Well, she has really thin hair nad not much of it. We have been doing a lil research but havn't found anything promising yet.

Well, does anyone know of a natrual way or even a product that makes hair thicker? I've heard of the horse shampoo but I I'm not to keen on it.

Thanks!

Amatullah
July 28th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Castor oil makes hair grow thicker. In India it is known for this. It is a bit gooey though. So, apply it before bed. I use it on my eyebrows and eye lashes in the form of kajal. It really works.

RancheroTheBee
July 28th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Vitamins, scalp massage, rooibos tea, henna, monistat, MSM, biotin... uh... some other stuff. You can search "thickening/thick" or "circumference" on the search function.

sweet*things
July 28th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Gelatin can thicken hair. Get the Knox unflavored packets and mix a bit into a hot drink every day, or make Jello, that works too. It may not increase the number of hairs, but the hair she has should start to grow in with thicker circumferences, so it will look thicker. Great for nails too!

bjjowett1993
July 28th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Also, silicea ( original brand name distributor of silicic acid.) (silica)

Kirin
July 28th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Hmm, hard to say without knowing her history, such as age, health, hair care regime.

Heidi_234
July 29th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Also, silicea ( original brand name distributor of silicic acid.) (silica)
...did nothing for me.

hennaphile
July 29th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Gelatin can thicken hair. Get the Knox unflavored packets and mix a bit into a hot drink every day, or make Jello, that works too. It may not increase the number of hairs, but the hair she has should start to grow in with thicker circumferences, so it will look thicker. Great for nails too!

Do you have a recipe for jello?? I have a jar of gelatin and can't stand the taste, but I love jello :p

jera
July 29th, 2009, 01:27 AM

I second this. Gelatin is a possibility and biotin might help.

How old is your mother? Has she always had very thin hair? If her thinning hair is a recent development, than she should see a dermatologist who can specifically recommend products to address her particular hair issues. :)

Anje
July 29th, 2009, 07:06 AM
I think some history would help. For example, has she always had thin hair, or has she lost a bit? Some women do have baldness patterns, and most people thin a bit with age, but hair loss in women often is indicative of underlying health issues, such as vitamin deficiencies and hormonal problems or changes.

Assuming nothing's wrong, there are some things a person can do to maximize the amount of hair that they have. A good diet, plenty of water and sleep are good places to start. As mentioned, some people have luck when they supplement with MSM, biotin, spirulina, zinc, and so on, but I'd recommend caution on overdoing it. Some people get good results if they try to maximize blood flow to the scalp by massage (with or without oils, though some folks thing certain essential oils and carrier oils improve the effect). A fair number have gotten increased growth and thickness by applying strange things like miconazole nitrate cream (yes, as in Monistat, which is used on yeast infections) to their scalps a few times per week. Substances like cassia obovata and henna often plump individual hairs a bit, so hair will seem thicker for a while after treatment.

Naturally, you'll want to read up on these before doing any of them, and stop if it causes more shedding rather than less.

If she's willing, get your mother to sign up and start reading and posting to this forum. It seems strange, but lots of people just pick up better hair care habits from hanging around here, and their hair thickens a bit. Gentle handling and fewer heat and chemical treatments are always good for hair.

Finally, be realistic. Different people have different numbers of follicles and the individual hairs are different thicknesses. Someone with lots of follicles and coarse hairs will have a fatter ponytail than someone with few follicles and fine hairs. Curly hair tends to fluff out more than straight hair. We tend to classify all this by the circumference (distance around) a ponytail. Under 2 inches is considered "i" or thin, 2-4 inches is "ii" and average, and more than 4 inches is "iii" or thick. Many people think they have thinner hair than they do, so getting a baseline is worthwhile.

bjjowett1993
July 29th, 2009, 01:15 PM
...did nothing for me.
Really? Hmmm... I just started it a week ago, the colloidial gel. How long did you do it for? It says 3 months before noticeable results, plus the time time I would assume for hair/nails to grow, and skin to heal (presuming the person has lesions or blemishes).

Rentlle
August 13th, 2009, 01:35 PM
hey.. anybody who mentioned any difference with castor-oil or stuff?
where do you guys get it?
:)

miansc
March 18th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the replys. Where can I buy Hena.. or what other natural things can I do?