PDA

View Full Version : I hate buns!!!

Curlsgirl
July 28th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I have tried to like them, I really really have but I just don't like how I look in them. I can do a Figure 8 okay but that's not really a bun. Any suggestions for thick curly waist length hair besides a bun? I do mostly English braids either behind me or a side braid that comes up over the shoulder. I am getting very bored!!!

SimplyViki
July 28th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Want something flippy, with the ends splayed out all playful like? I like to do a Lazy Wrap Bun, but leave the ends out completely sticking out the top of the base bun. So it doesn't look like a bun, really.

Curlsgirl
July 28th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Want something flippy, with the ends splayed out all playful like? I like to do a Lazy Wrap Bun, but leave the ends out completely sticking out the top of the base bun. So it doesn't look like a bun, really.

I have tried but it seems I can't get that to look right with my thick curls. Maybe it's just me though and there is a trick?

SimplyViki
July 28th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Hmm... I'm not sure. My hair isn't curly, but I always thought curly hair looked better sticking out all over the place than straight/slightly wavy hair. When I do the Lazy Wrap flippy style, I just don't wrap the ends around the base at all. :shrug: Sometimes it looks good, sometimes it doesn't.

You could also try something like this cascade thing (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=109), but just not wrap it around so much since your hair's thick.

Or if you always do braids, you could switch it up a little with a fishtail braid. Or maybe a half up with the half-up part fishtail braided (or regular braided, come to think of it.

rwinksters
July 28th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I have thick waist long hair and I've been trying to do all the different types of braids... like the 4 and 5 strand instead of just the regular 3. You can also look up hawser braids and stuff like that. I've also been trying to look at the hair styling section of this forum for different ideas. There are some really nifty ideas there.

embee
July 28th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Do a fake crown braid with two braids instead of one....

I hated the way buns made me look when I was younger, now I love them. No clue why I changed my mind. Perhaps I suddenly *wanted* to look like a tight-bunned-mean-lady??? ;)

SpecialKitty
July 28th, 2009, 10:27 AM
It's taken me awhile to like buns - and I can't say I really like them that much on me. But it is a fun way to use some cool hair toys I like, such as special sticks, forks, and clips. I think of a bun now as a showcase for my hair toy art :agree:

hellkitty
July 28th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I know what I"m about to say has the dreaded word 'buns', but have you tried some of the 'messy buns' on the messy bun article here? For beautiful curly hair, it seems like it might be an awesome compromise between the bun and your fabulous hair texture.

HK

aprilmay
July 28th, 2009, 11:38 AM
have you tried a french roll? I am not very good at them, but they can look great.

Curlsgirl
July 28th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks so much. I know I need to explore and learn some new styles including braids. The messy bun and that cascade look good if I can just figure out how to do them. :o

pradabacon
July 28th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Have you tried this sock bun variant Leabhar posted? I don't really like buns on myself either, but this one looks much different, especially if you wear it high. Very cute and comfortable.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=29777

I also like to wear a high ponytail with lots of little braids in it. That's my DH's favorite.

Doubled styles look better on me than having it all pulled back, too. I like a braid on each side or a low bun on each side. When I was younger, I used to wear two high buns (like teddy bear ears or something *lol*), but I don't know if I can get away with that now. :D

spidermom
July 28th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I can relate. I don't like how buns look on me, either, but I like how they feel - off my neck, out of my face. Plus I've gotten used to how I look with them, so I do what is most practical, which most days = a bun. I also go for what is easy and quick, since they all look the same from the front.

Curlsgirl
July 28th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Hmmmmmmm I like the lots of little braids in a ponytail idea.

And Spidermom you have a point, they do all look the same from the front.

Why can't I do a messy bun? Mine always come out too neat or they fall down, one or the other.

Tangles
July 28th, 2009, 07:58 PM
You could try nightshade's trick for a more voluminous crown; merely changing the appearance of the front might be all you need to feel more stylish in a bun.

You can also try wearing your hair piled up very high on your head and letting those beautiful thick curls tumble down. ;)

Curlsgirl
July 28th, 2009, 08:03 PM
You could try nightshade's trick for a more voluminous crown; merely changing the appearance of the front might be all you need to feel more stylish in a bun.

You can also try wearing your hair piled up very high on your head and letting those beautiful thick curls tumble down. ;)

Good ideas! I can never get my hair secured well on top of my head without a bun though. Any ideas?

Tangles
July 28th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Good ideas! I can never get my hair secured well on top of my head without a bun though. Any ideas?

Try making several twists or braiding sections. You may have to play around a bit. Don't put too much pressure on yourself to make a set "hairstyle", instead, catch yourself at a random creative moment :p

Also, double french braids crossed over and pinned up. Sort of a bun but not really...

Faux crown braids.

But I urge you not to give up on buns completely. Oh, what about a combination bun/ponytail or a wrapped ponytail?

There are plenty of things you still haven't tried that you might end up loving.

Rini
July 28th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Firstly...OMG :agape:your avatar!! I don't think I've seen that pic yet (yeah, I don't get "out" much around here these days do I?) Your hair is looking so incredibly loooong!

Secondly, I know my idea seems odd as it's not exactly a hair style.....but how about a headband? I don't like the look of a normal bun on me either (esp since I have no fringe at all nowadays), so I usually do the bun a bit looser so that my curly texture shows (ie hair not flat against my head) and then I put a pretty/decorative headband on. I don't know, it just seems to completely soften the look somehow :shrug:

When I was growing out my fringe, I used to wear headbands ALL the time, and now I really love them. I have a huge collection now from a "laurel wreath" one to ones with bows and flowers. Sometimes I also grab the front section of my hair and pin it back leaving some height (as in my sig pic). This looks good with or without headbands and you could do this with a fringe too.

HTH :flowers: