PDA

View Full Version : New Growth or Breaks?!

Maddy25
July 28th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Hi everyone, hope you're feeling lovely today.

I had a question, last night I was brushing my hair and noticed tons of short hairs growing on my hairline and where my part is. I always have little hairs sticking up but they are much longer and not as thick as these. I dont think they are breaks because I have been being super careful of my hair and have stoped heat styling, cones and styling products. I started taking biotin and silca 2 weeks ago....could all these shorter hairs be new hair growth already? They are allready like 1cm long and there are a lot, all the same length. Is it possible for this to happen from vitamins? Is my hair getting thicker...anyone else have this happen?

Arctic
July 28th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Have a look at the tips of those hairs: If they are tapered neatly like cat's whiskers, then they are new growth. If they are blunt and rought, split, have a white dot, etc, they are breakage. Cut hair tips (that are cut with sharp scissors) are blunt and smooth, but ofcourse those hair are not cut.

redneckprincess
July 28th, 2009, 07:45 AM
sounds like new hairs to me.. Biotin will do that...or it could be breaks...how long ago did you give up heat styling???

Maddy25
July 28th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I barely ever straighten my hair but i only just gave up blowdrying about 3 weeks ago. But i didnt do it every day.

jennylouwhoo
July 28th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Do to ever wear sunglasses on top of your head that could cause breakage.

JamieLeigh
July 29th, 2009, 08:04 AM
It could be either. I'd do as Arctic suggested and examine the ends of the new hairs to see if they look damaged. I'd give it a couple of months - if the hairs grow longer, then they were probably just new hairs. If you continue to have them at the same length, it might be breakage.

I'd vote for it being new growth, however. If you've recently started taking vitamins, this could be the culprit. :)

RancheroTheBee
July 29th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Stopping heat styling and taking vitamins is a good explanation to why you suddenly have this new crop of hair.