PDA

View Full Version : Yet another question for all the Napplings out there.

NickalNack
July 27th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I've been considering using more long-term protective styles to help my hair grow more efficiently, and since I've worn my hair in nothing but a fro for the past 8 or so months, any improvement would be a major one for me. I just suggested to my mom that I put my hair in corn rows with braided in extensions to protect my ends. I'm considering doing this every few weeks as my hair gets longer. Another one I'm considering is two-strand twists.

Are either of these good ideas? Which one would you rather, or do you rather go with? Is there another protective style you have in mind that trumps both of these in your mind?

SimplyViki
July 27th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Sorry, I don't have the experience to help, but I just wanted to pop in and mention to be careful about cornrows - if they're too tight, they can cause traction alopecia (hair loss) and defeat the whole purpose of the protectiveness of the style. Perhaps a cloth covering might be useful for a while? A bandana or scarf or something?

pradabacon
July 27th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I've got no experience with it either, so I don't know which style would be more protective, but I LOVE the look of twists. They are absolutely adorable and I wish I could have some myself.

GlassEyes
July 27th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I'll give a bit of a warning on cornrows and such.

They can be fine if they're not done too tightly, but all too often, most people will braid them so tight that hair can get damaged, even more so than with picking out a 'fro. Not always, but it seems to be the case.

The one time I DID have cornrows, they were so tight I wanted to rip them out.

That said, if they are done tightly, but not so tight you can get traction alopecia (aka, just right) they could be very protective, and allow for great scalp cleansing. Just try to find someone who won't kill your hair. :)

Edit: I'd talk to Buddaphlyy (sp?). She has experience with bad 'rows and twists as well as good, if I remember correctly. She may be able to help you.

NickalNack
July 27th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Oh I know about not doing them too tightly already. My mother is good at doing hair of all textures, as well as (most) of the people she hires to do my hair for me, which are few and far in between. Still, you can never be reminded enough.

Also, how long would someone suggest I keep a protective style in?

GlassEyes
July 28th, 2009, 06:32 AM
I've always heard that cornrows can be worn for up to eight weeks before they fuzz up too badly, but I'd guess that's only if they're taken care of properly. I think that's about how long my boss at work waits to get his braids/rows redone (he has about tailbone length hair now--used to be midthigh, and it's cornrowed to about the middle of his head, then braided from there). He hates his braids if they aren't properly done. xD;

ladylibra
July 28th, 2009, 07:23 AM
^^^8 weeks? Wowzers! :eek:

I've done cornrows with and without extensions many times, while relaxed and natural. In fact, I've been considering getting cornrows again in a few weeks, just so I won't have to deal with my hair for a minute while I make the transition back to school/working/kid starting daycare/SO working and in school.

Depending on the size of the braid, I keep cornrows in for 2-4 weeks. I could probably make them last longer, but I still co-wash frequently while in braids, and that will make them fuzz sooner! The smarter thing to do is wipe the scalp with a washcloth or cottonball or something, with whatever cleanser of your choice (even if it's just water). But, I'm stubborn and set in my co-washing ways. :o

Twists are also great and can also be done with or without extensions. Smaller twists never stay well in my hair :( but this past winter, I spent with my hair in a ponytail that I divided into about 8 twists and then gathered into a bun. It was extremely simple and worked well as a protective style. And they were more "flexible" if that makes sense. Big braids shrink and then are very stiff, whereas twists are not.

You can get really creative with either one, or go back and forth between the two to keep from getting bored. Either way, I am excited to see what you come up with! :cheese:

redneckprincess
July 28th, 2009, 07:31 AM
I think that sounds good. **wishing I could do that for the next 6 months...I think extentions is how I made APL 2 years ago without even knowing, but I will never do extentions again but braided into the hair sounds safe enough..Good Luck

rhondalicious
July 28th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I loooove the look of twists, the kind of loose ones, in textured hair - A girl at my church secures hers with thread at the end instead of elastics, and they look super cute.

Buddaphlyy
July 28th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Edit: I'd talk to Buddaphlyy (sp?). She has experience with bad 'rows and twists as well as good, if I remember correctly. She may be able to help you.

Lol, I could probably write a book with all the adventures I've had in hair care.

As everyone else has stated, as long as your protective styles isn't too tight, you should be okay. The last time I got my hair done by a "professional", I got kinky twists extensions that were done too tight at the hairline. I ended up with a bald spot after 2 days. My hairline is just now getting back in order...after 2.5 years. Definitely not worth it.

So to avoid that problem, I do my own hair myself now. For the most part, I do box braids, with extensions and without, and leave them up for about 8-10 weeks at a time. I alternate to keep it interesting though. For example, I had extension from April - July, so if I decide to get them again, it probably won't be until September or October. I shampoo and DC once a week and moisturize everyday. Frizzy/fuzzy hair doesn't really bother me, so I just let my hair be.

Sometimes I do twists, but very rarely because my hair has a strong tendency to begin locing when I wear twists. I only do twists with my own hair, but I've been checking out YouTube for some instructions on yarn twists.

Vermelha
July 29th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I've been considering using more long-term protective styles to help my hair grow more efficiently, and since I've worn my hair in nothing but a fro for the past 8 or so months, any improvement would be a major one for me. I just suggested to my mom that I put my hair in corn rows with braided in extensions to protect my ends. I'm considering doing this every few weeks as my hair gets longer. Another one I'm considering is two-strand twists.

Are either of these good ideas? Which one would you rather, or do you rather go with? Is there another protective style you have in mind that trumps both of these in your mind?

I recall myself transitioning using braid extensions. And to be honest, it did work. However, like the other ladies here, if they are too tight (which the weight of the braid extensions can tend to cause a lot of weight and traction), you can cause traction alopecia and cause your hair to thin more. It will grow, but it may be thinner than you'd like.

I experienced thinning hair when I first transitioned and did the BC to natural due to getting too-tight braids every two weeks. Now I learned my lesson and do my own braids and twists (That are of course, not tight at all).

I am doing protective styles to grow my APL hair too. I do my own cornrows (I do them bigger and not tight at all, I've been doing them for years now), as well as big (not tiny, since they're harder to take down) two-strand twists. I try to find styles that last anywhere from 1-3 weeks, since I'm a no-pooer and I only do scalp massages with coconut or castor oil to keep my scalp healthy. Cornrows and twists make my scalp easy to oil and keeps my hair out of the way and allows it to grow.

If these styles get fuzzy, I just take the braids or twists down and wear a braid or twist out the day before wash day. Or, I may mist water on the individual braid or twist, reset, and continue on with my day until the next wash day.

Honestly, I think two-strand twists or even plaits (w/o extensions) are gentler. Cornrows w/ extensions really tend to pull at the scalp and the hair used (I'm assuming is synthetic braid hair) can also dry out the hair if hair isn't moisturized. It's easier to moisturize, refresh and reset braids, plaits and twists with your own natural hair. And if you mess up, you can always do them over, unlike w/ extensions.

And try to switch up the style. Doing the same thing too often can cause the hair to weaken in that area, much like wearing ponytails or buns in the same place too much. If you did cornrows one week, let your scalp rest the next week in an updo or other protective style. Doing it too often, depending on your hair type, can weaken the hair and cause breakage too. HTH.

Vermelha
July 29th, 2009, 01:27 PM
^^^8 weeks? Wowzers! :eek:

I've done cornrows with and without extensions many times, while relaxed and natural. In fact, I've been considering getting cornrows again in a few weeks, just so I won't have to deal with my hair for a minute while I make the transition back to school/working/kid starting daycare/SO working and in school.

Depending on the size of the braid, I keep cornrows in for 2-4 weeks. I could probably make them last longer, but I still co-wash frequently while in braids, and that will make them fuzz sooner! The smarter thing to do is wipe the scalp with a washcloth or cottonball or something, with whatever cleanser of your choice (even if it's just water). But, I'm stubborn and set in my co-washing ways. :o

Twists are also great and can also be done with or without extensions. Smaller twists never stay well in my hair :( but this past winter, I spent with my hair in a ponytail that I divided into about 8 twists and then gathered into a bun. It was extremely simple and worked well as a protective style. And they were more "flexible" if that makes sense. Big braids shrink and then are very stiff, whereas twists are not.

You can get really creative with either one, or go back and forth between the two to keep from getting bored. Either way, I am excited to see what you come up with! :cheese:

ITA with the bolded! I was thinking about that yesterday when I did my cornrows. That's like a bonus to any no-poo regime to not have to go through detangling in the shower. Mmm...you're onto something! *goes and revises regime*