PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else mix an oil into their deep conditioner?

ericthegreat
July 27th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Right now, I'm sitting with a deep treatment in my hair. I'm doing a deep conditioning treatment from Vive Pro Loreal Paris. I mixed in olive oil into my hair along with the deep conditioner, I figure this mix actually penetrates into my hair even further than simply doing jsut the deep conditioning alone.

Does anyone else also mix in some oil (coconut, olive, some other kind of oil etc.) into your deep conditioner? Do you find this works even better?

SimplyViki
July 27th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Oh how funny, I'd never tried it before, but it occurred to me just today to give it a shot! Great minds and all that....

However, my hair may or may not have liked it. I tried way too many new things at the same time, and I have no idea which thing made it decide to be fluffier than usual. Of course, sometimes it's just fluffy for no particular reason right after a wash, and calms down the next day. So... I'll just say results are still pending. And tainted, too, as there's no way to tell if my hair likes it tomorrow whether it was the oil in the conditioner or something else. :D

jennylouwhoo
July 27th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I usually deep oil or deep condition but never both at the same time but maybe I'll try that

ladylibra
July 27th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Yes. , I put olive oil in my regular co-wash conditioner, and my deep conditioner. And use it in my avocado hair mask. And use it for hot oil treatments.

I love olive oil... :D

ericthegreat
July 27th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I should elaborate about my routine a bit better. I do a brief water rinse in the shower to get my hair completely wet before I apply the oil & deep conditioner mixture. After applying the mixture into my hair, I simply twist my hair up and secure it up with a giant banana hair clip.

You know what, I'm gonna take a pic!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3493&pictureid=45994

Speckla
July 27th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I add coconut oil to my leave-in sometimes.

Flynn
July 27th, 2009, 08:24 PM
My SMT-modification involves a decent slurp of walnut oil.

theskeletonkey
July 27th, 2009, 08:25 PM
That's a good idea, I think I'm gonna try it.
:]

theshadowpuppet
July 27th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Yes, I find it helps the oil rinse out of my hair easier and prevents greasies. I get that a lot with heavy olive oiling.

Kristen_Marie
July 27th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Ooh! I just got a shower and did this!! Well...something similar. I'm not talking about a deep treatment as I don't do those very often, but every night I'll do a dollop of conditioner and drizzle some almond or coconut oil in with it.

Makes for some fantastic conditioning :cheese:

ericthegreat
July 27th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Oh definitely. Actually, I find that simply using oil alone leaves my hair feeling hard in fact. Plus, by mixing it in with my deep conditioner, I find that I get the best of both worlds. I get a truly intense moisturizing treatment without leaving my hair greasy like a straight up oiling would do. I use just a small amount of the olive oil(it is very heavy) and mix that into my deep conditioner, this mixture is the best deep treatment that has worked magic for my super coarse strands.

Elanor
July 28th, 2009, 12:40 AM
I often mix coconut oil and/or shea butter into my deep treatments (and sometimes honey or yoghurt).

Dotlover
July 28th, 2009, 12:51 AM
I do mix oil in to my conditioner. The last time I made some I put too much Olive Oil. Though my hair is soft AND tangle-free now.

Rentlle
July 28th, 2009, 03:27 AM
I do it all the time :)
but I mix like everthing :)
I do oil and conditioner as leave in==> mixed.
when I make a deeply nourising treatment I just take a bowl and put mayonaise, coconut oil, yoghurt and lots of co in it.. :)
I let it sit for like 1 hour on my head, and my hair loves it :)

LutraLutra
July 28th, 2009, 03:31 AM
I mix 5 drops of Anita Grant's sweet almond and vanilla oil into my SMTs and it works really well and makes my hair smell of honey and vanilla for days. :yumm:

paintedmuse
July 28th, 2009, 05:02 AM
I sometimes mix some coconut oil with my conditioner, it works better than conditioner alone :)

Marika
July 28th, 2009, 05:43 AM
I mix 5 drops of Anita Grant's sweet almond and vanilla oil into my SMTs and it works really well and makes my hair smell of honey and vanilla for days. :yumm:

I really love Anita's oils...:heartbeat I like to add some oil (coconut or almond) to deep treatments too but my hair can only handle a few drops or else it's a greaseball.

Dvips
July 28th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Yes, I did that often for deep conditioning in the shower (as opposed to a long deep conditioning treatment).

janiejones
July 28th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Hmm, I want to try this. From what I've observed so far, my hair really likes olive oil, it's just that I haven't been around non-conventional methods for very long, so I haven't gotten too creative about what to do with it yet. Thanks!

Merewen
July 28th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Yeah, whenever I plan an SMT it tends to turn into me just putting whatever sounds good for my hair and is easily accessible in a bowl. This means less aloe (have you tried getting it out of a plant? STICKY MESS. I give up after a while.) and some olive oil.

SimplyViki
July 28th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Merewen, do you use a knife to get it from the plant? I never had trouble cutting it out. But if I tried scooping it out, yeah... sticky, slimey mess.

amaiaisabella
July 28th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Do you all do these deep treatments on dry (or wet) hair before washing, or after cleaning? I usually like to do them on dirty hair, and just shampoo out the roots and rinse everything together, but I don't notice any added moisturizing unless I really heavily condition.

AmericanWoman
July 28th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I addA touch of oil when I think I need it. It also revs up the conditioning power of light conditioners like VO5.

karli
July 28th, 2009, 05:18 PM
When I do a SMT I always mix in some shea or/and some jojoba. My hope is that the oils will make the moisture stay better.

Schmoomunitions
July 28th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Hey is that mom/grandma lounging in the back? HAHHAHA

Marika
July 29th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Do you all do these deep treatments on dry (or wet) hair before washing, or after cleaning? I usually like to do them on dirty hair, and just shampoo out the roots and rinse everything together, but I don't notice any added moisturizing unless I really heavily condition.

I do deep treatments on wet hair after washing with shampoo. I usually do a cinnabun with a cheap hairstick and let the treatment sit for about 20-45 minutes and then rinse it out + add some leave-in conditioner.

amaiaisabella
July 29th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I do deep treatments on wet hair after washing with shampoo. I usually do a cinnabun with a cheap hairstick and let the treatment sit for about 20-45 minutes and then rinse it out + add some leave-in conditioner.

Thank you :) I'll have to try that!

ericthegreat
July 30th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Ohh wow. I didn't even notice that Gram was lying there on the sofa!

I shoulda known, she always watches late night TV. (Our computers are located in the living room where everything else is)