PDA

View Full Version : Hair dye regret - CWC?

klcqtee
July 27th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I was impatient building up my red with henna, and used chemical dye (Shame!). Worst idea ever.

Red dye fades fastest, and every time I wash (I have been shampooing my length) the bathtub water is pink. This is a good sign!
The problem though, is that my length is suffering from the shampoo (head and shoulders if it makes a difference).

I wanted to know if CWC would still remove the dye, or if the conditioner would protect the dye, just as it protects the hair?

I know I read on here that someone did something to remove some old black dye from their ends, I just don't recall who...or what they did.

Ktani (I believe) suggested a honey and baby shampoo combo. Anyone have any experience with this?

Also, my hair is not any lighter or darker than the dye, just brown. I know that if I went from brown to blonde, I'd never be able to get back to my natural colour. Brown to red though, will hopefully mean I can get back to brown...right?

Thanks for any suggestions!

ETA: The dye is almost 2 months old, and still rinsing out pink. In addition, it would be wonderful if it could all wash out (I realize this is a bit fanciful). It went from radioactive red/pink to a dark red/brown. If it could fade to auburn, I'd be perfectly happy (for now). My hair is naturally a bit auburn, and it'd help it blend some.

SimplyViki
July 27th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Well.... if you recently dyed your hair, I'd guess it's just the excess dye rinsing off. When I used to use commercial red dye on my hair, it only rinsed pink for a few washes, and then stopped. But the red was still there.

I'm not sure how the CWC would act on your hair as far as the dye goes, but I'm just going to tell you that I don't think you should count on washing getting your hair back to brown (cause that's what it sounds like from your post). You could always dye over it brown again, I wound up having to go to a colorist myself to try and get the color blended in with my natural color as best as I could. (You can see in my avatar how great a job he did - the last foot or so of hair is his work over my original burgundy dye).

Red fades fastest, but it doesn't fade completely, as far as I know. Good luck!

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 27th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Honestly you can try some SMT with honey and follow up with a coconut milk rinse because all of those things pulled dye from my hair. HTH :flower:

Ash
July 27th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Vinegar won't get it out completely but it may help. I know if I do a vinegar rinse on my hair, it pulls dye out even a couple of months after it has been dyed. I do 1/4 cup acv to 2 cups water.

I CWC every other day and I don't think it makes any difference in fading dye on my head as opposed to the CO I do on the other days.

I don't know what kind if dye you used but if it was a permanent instead of a deposit only type, it also lifts color. In my case, that means it lightly bleaches my hair to a reddish shade (my hair is a dark brown) so when the dye washes out gradually, my hair is still red, just more coppery than the deep red I originally dyed it. It may be the same for you, so it could be easier, as SimplyViki said, to dye back to brown.

wintersun99
July 27th, 2009, 10:02 PM

brista
July 27th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I dyed my hair red and it came out awful -- so a couple days later, I went to a salon and they tried to fix it and make it less awful. But it was still quite bright red with chunks of brown peeking through here and there. For some reason, sections of my hair just wouldn't pick up the color, even after the professionals dyed it. Every time I washed my hair, the dye came out in the rinse, but it looked just as red as ever. I finally dyed it (again!) with a dark brown close to my natural color. It looked auburn, not brunette, but at least I looked less like a clown! Once I did THAT, I stopped ending up with red water when I washed my hair. I know dying it again is probably not going to work for you (my hair is short and had never been processed before I started, um, my little experiment) but that was when it stopped bleeding color. I was also using L'Oreal's No Sulfate Color Safe Shampoo but that made the color bleed so much more! It was ridiculous. Even the harsh clarifying shampoo I tried didn't bleed as much color out of my hair.

AnnaMarie
July 27th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Any oil pulled colour out of my hair like crazy, it even pulls henna out of my ends (my poor poor damaged ends:o) Good luck :)