PDA

View Full Version : I cut my own hair!

zen_oven
July 27th, 2009, 05:40 PM
And I did not buy a one way ticket on the fail boat! See, my hair is severely layered, but I've been very resistant to cutting at all. My plan was to wait until I'd reached my goal length or at least come close (waist) and then start trimming to even up the layers. Well, for some reason my bottom layer became significantly longer than the top ones, so as a result, I had some serious taper and thin-looking ends. It was driving me nuts, and the bottom layer was tangling much more easily. Up until recently I didn't have to worry much about damage, but the longer I let it go, the more concerned I became that the thinness of the ends would contribute to damage, which would screw up all my progress.

Well, today I used Feye's Hairtrimming Method for the blunt hemline to trim a bit over an inch off my bottom layer. It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. I'm a wurly, so I didn't worry as much about unevenness, and the ends are so thin anyway I doubted it would show much. It looks and feels so much better already. I'm almost tempted to trim a bit more, but have decided to hold off--I don't want to get scissor happy and then trim off more than I'm comfortable with. For now I think I'll do this once a month (probably cutting off less than an inch) until I've gained some more thickness at the hemline.

Wow, who knew cutting your own hair could feel so liberating! It cost me nothing, and I'm much happier with the state of my layers. I'd post pics, but I doubt you'd be able to see much difference at this point--I know I can't.

Silver & Gold
July 27th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I've cut my own hair for most of my adult life after having too many bad haircuts by stylists. I did once find a stylist who cut my hair exactly as I liked but she became so ridiculously busy that you had to have an appointment 6 months in advance just to see her. Often, while waiting to see her I ended up cutting my own hair anyway.

I'm glad that your trim went well and I'm also glad that you resisted the impulse to trim more. Every time I've gotten a little too aggressive with the scissors I've always regretted it and then had to wait a few months for it to grow out to the right place again.

I've finally learned to cut less hair and less often as I'm trying to grow my hair. I'm growing out bangs and layers and damage so it is necessary for me to trim every few months but I'm learning to trim the least amount possible and to stretch out my trims as long as possible.

Anyway, congrats on the successful trim. It is liberating indeed to be able to trim your own hair.

zen_oven
July 27th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks! I feel a lot better about my layers now.:)

SheaLynne
July 27th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I just trimmed mine for the first time last week. I also used Feye's method, but for the u-shape. I only took maybe a half inch, but that's the first it has been trimmed in 7+ months as I try to get length. Even that tiny amount made it feel so much better! I also have some long layers left, and hope to have them off gradually.

I also did a true S&D, and was pleased to find that the splits were a very low percent, so not in too bad of shape for the length (getting close to waist length) and time since trimmed.

Glad to hear of your success, also. It IS scary going into it, isn't it??

Tressie
July 27th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Congratulations!! If it makes you feel better, that's what really counts! I love the money saving aspect of this too of course (o:

Gingevere
July 27th, 2009, 09:21 PM
What a coincidence! I just trimmed my own hair for the first time as well. I used Feye's V-trim method and it worked like a charm.

My hairdresser trims my hair just fine and she always does exactly what I tell her to do, but I just feel it's a waste of money to pay for a wash, cut, blow dry, and flat iron and then ask her to skip the latter two. And if I can trim my own hair, then it's completely unnecessary!

Liberating is definitely the right word. :)

ktani
July 27th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Feels great, doesn't it?

Feye's method is fantastic. I have used it about 4 times now and absolutely love it.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JamieLeigh
July 29th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Yay! Glad you had such a good experience with trimming your own hair. :flower: I do my own as well.