PDA

View Full Version : This is NOT what I had in mind

SimplyViki
July 27th, 2009, 04:47 PM
So today I decided I'd do a little extra pampering for my hair. It's wash day, and I mixed up some loosely interpreted SMT and brewed some tea to use in my vinegar rinse.

When I was mixing up my SMT, I used my finger to stir it, and since I didn't want to waste the product, I smeared what was left on my finger onto my hair. Thinking, "Oh, cool, pre-treatment! Brilliant!" I decided to smear a bit more onto my length and ends while still waiting for my tea to finish brewing/steeping.

Well, I was pretty generous with the honey in this stuff (remember I said "loosely translated" version?), so it made my hair pretty sticky, so I skipped my usual detangling before washing. No big deal, I thought, I'll just detangle when the conditioner's sitting in my hair, it'll be slippery anyway.

So, I washed my hair, turned off the tap, and began to apply the SMT type goop. It took me a good ten to fifteen minutes to detangle, because I had a whole lot of tangles since I hadn't started with detangling, and the sticky stuff made it so tangly to begin with. Once I was finally satisfied I'd detangled, and had slathered on another little glob of some regular conditioner (for good measure, you know), I went to turn on the water.

And that's where the fun starts. My water is apparently turned off. It's free with the lease where I live, so they must have started some sort of repair work or something. I turned both taps all the way, and nothing.

So what's a good LHCer to do in such a predicament? Turn it into an imprompt deep conditioning session, of course! I'm sitting here now covered in sticky conditioner, but my hair's all nicely wrapped up in a plastic bag, secured with a scarf while I'm waiting for the water to turn back on.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/vharrod/DT.jpg
See?

Guess I'm getting a little more than I bargained for this wash... :laugh: That is just my luck.

Nypsy
July 27th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Aw :( I hope your hair turns out nicely after what you went through!

Coriander
July 27th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I don't mean to laugh, but...

:rollin:

This has happened to me MANY times over the course of my renting history. Go to rinse after brushing your teeth, water's off. Go to hose off the large amounts of shaving cream, water's off. Go to rinse out a deep treatment, water's off.

It's a good look for you though :D ;)

tina1025
July 27th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Oh wow i am sooo sorry to hear that...If i were you i would have been very frustrated. but its funny in a way :)

thankyousir74
July 27th, 2009, 04:55 PM
WOW.... that's a bummer. Good way to stay optimistic, though! :thumbsup:

patience
July 27th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Been there too. Look at it as a nice deep treatment.....you didn't have to be anywhere today, right? Maybe go all out and give yourself a manicure/pedicure while you wait.

And I'm with Coriander....that is a good look for you :D

SimplyViki
July 27th, 2009, 04:57 PM
:lol: It's OK to laugh, guys. I meant it to be funny, but forgot to add smileys to that effect. :p Yep, I was frustrated for a sec, but then couldn't wait to get on LHC to post about it!

Now my water's back on, after all the time spent writing, taking pics, uploading to photobucket...

So, off to finish my shower! So glad the water wasn't turned off for too long a time... I'm all sticky all over!!

Addy
July 27th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Least you weren't in the shower with soap in your hair when the water was shut off! :D

redneckprincess
July 27th, 2009, 05:24 PM
at least it is something that runs absoutly NO rish of harming your hair. It will be so soft when you are able to wash it out

Chrissy
July 27th, 2009, 05:30 PM
So how did your hair turn out? :)

SimplyViki
July 27th, 2009, 05:31 PM
So how did your hair turn out? :)

:D No idea, still soaking wet.

LadyLongLocks
July 27th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Wow! I have such a fear of that happening that I keep 2 gallons of water around...
Hope your hair turns out ok.

yogachic
July 27th, 2009, 05:37 PM
That'd be my luck!

Wicked Princess
July 27th, 2009, 05:39 PM
hahaha. It's awesome that you turned it into a longer, deep treatment for your hair! I hope it comes out fantastic.

I totally have had the water shut off on me. Unfortunately, it was right after I had finished shaving one leg, and right before I moved on to another. Long skirts for me that day!

theskeletonkey
July 27th, 2009, 05:41 PM
That stink's! Glad it came back on quickly.
That happened to me a couple of years ago, but with dye!

longhairedfairy
July 27th, 2009, 06:47 PM
:spitting:

ETA: I hope it makes your hair all nice and soft.:flower:

WindowDressing
July 27th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Just so not funny, when it is your own water being shut off!!

How are you doing???

Love and Hugs,
WD :)

WindowDressing
July 27th, 2009, 06:50 PM
:D No idea, still soaking wet.

:confused: :D

SimplyViki
July 27th, 2009, 06:53 PM

How are you doing???

Love and Hugs,
Why, I'm doing well, thank you!

WindowDressing
July 27th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Why, I'm doing well, thank you!

I'm so glad to hear that dear SimplyViki!! I trust that the dripping wet part has been resolved into a fabulous extra-good SMT?

*cringes*

Love and Hugs,

SimplyViki
July 27th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I'm so glad to hear that dear SimplyViki!! I trust that the dripping wet part has been resolved into a fabulous extra-good SMT?

*cringes*

Love and Hugs,

LOL well, I'm sure deep down inside its soul somewhere, my hair appreciated the deep treatment. However, it's behaving fluffy right now. My own fault though, probably, I threw too many new things at it at once. It's not entirely dry yet, though, so there's still hope.

WindowDressing
July 27th, 2009, 07:03 PM
LOL well, I'm sure deep down inside its soul somewhere, my hair appreciated the deep treatment. However, it's behaving fluffy right now. My own fault though, probably, I threw too many new things at it at once. It's not entirely dry yet, though, so there's still hope.

*snerk*;)

Been there. I do hope that the tangles aren't too bad. Ask anyone, or read my own pathetic impatience with same.

Hope springs eternal.

Love and Hugs,

Carolyn
July 27th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Now that's something that would happen to me! :p I've left my version of SMT on my hair for several hours and all was well. My hair loves super long conditionings like that. It eats it up.

SeaShell
July 27th, 2009, 07:34 PM
oh no :( I had a similar experience but I was dying my hair back to brown a couple of years ago...the water went off for some reason and I ended up having to dunk my head in the swimming pool which turned the pool brown and my hair MUCH darker than I'd planned. Sorry for your experience but at least its not going to harm your hair.

SimplyViki
July 27th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Oh my! These reports of water shutting off while doing a hair dye make me realize how lucky I was it only happened during a condition.

longhairedfairy
July 27th, 2009, 07:58 PM

How are you doing???

Love and Hugs,
:shrug:I'd think it was funny later if it happened to me.:)

WindowDressing
July 27th, 2009, 08:14 PM
:shrug:I'd think it was funny later if it happened to me.:)

LOL!

Yes, :p funny, later, but not at the time of the outage...:(

ROTFLO!:)

brista
July 27th, 2009, 08:26 PM
the water went off for some reason and I ended up having to dunk my head in the swimming pool which turned the pool brown and my hair MUCH darker than I'd planned.

Oh, geez! Well, at least it didn't turn your hair green!

SimplyViki
July 28th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Happy ending! :D My hair is not behaving fluffy anymore, it's nice and soft. I don't know why it does that fluffy thing just after a wash sometimes. Maybe cause I handle it too much while it's drying.

lydimoo
July 28th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Glad to hear it! Sounds like a good treatment for your hair. I've yet to learn all these things...

Medievalmaniac
July 28th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Good heavens! I'm so glad things turned out well for you in the end!!

I'm also so thankful that I have a membership to the YMCA...if my water ever goes off, I can just drive a mile down the street!! :O

jivete
July 28th, 2009, 09:05 AM
It might not be a bad idea to keep water on hand if you're doing something potentially harmful, like dying your hair. Water Utilities don't usually guarantee continuous service and can't if there's a water main break or something. Although if they're just working in the area, they will usually let you know they'll be shutting off the water. At least our guys will, unless something happens where they can't. Valves not holding, main breaks...

LaFlor
July 28th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I imagine your hair was probably going "YES!" :cheese: when the water wouldn't come on.