PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article read at dentist office--hair

Darkhorse1
July 27th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Read an interesting article at the dentist office today, found in the November issue of Vogue.

It was about fried hair, and this 1 woman's quest to restore her hair without cutting it.

She ended up getting this product direct from a top hair dresser, named Phillip something. The product is derrived from the cotton tree, the bark. It's like a glue, but not--it adhere's to the damaged cuticle of the hair strand, and makes hair soft and shiny, without having it weighed down and heavy.

It's available in a tube, and it's called Philip B Katira Hair Masque. Never seen it, but the article made me very interested. :)

patience
July 27th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I hadn't heard of it. It seems to have some mixed reviews on Amazon. $20-something a tube with some 1 star ratings....I don't know if I would buy it.

amaiaisabella
July 27th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Sounds interesting! Let us know if you try it :)

jennylouwhoo
July 27th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I doubt it would work but let us know if you try it

Toothe
July 27th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I think I remember reading this. Usually it's a hoot reading anything Vogue has to say about hair...or about anything. I read it for the entertainment value since it comes inexplicably to my workplace (no one knows why; we never ordered it) and laugh at their hair-care tips, news from the world of plastic surgery, tragic stories of people losing their jobs and having to settle for $150 blouses instead of the $1,000 originals, and so on.

Not to say the product's no good, though...I have no idea, but even Vogue would have to get something right once in a while!

Darkhorse1
July 27th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Honestly? I hate Vogue magazine. It's 90% ads!! Finding this article was a pain in the tushie!

I'm not keen on how it works, and you have to leave it in so I doubt I'll ever try it. They have it online at www.philipb.com if you're interested in the materials etc.

pdy2kn6
July 28th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Just checked out the site, do any of these ingredients look potentially damaging in the long term?-
Water/Aqua, Glycerin, Katira, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Sodium PCA, Sodium Lactate, Arginine, Aspartic Acid, PCA, Glycine, Alanine, Serine, Valine, Proline, Threonine, Isoleucine, Histidine, Phenylalanine, Caprylyl Glycol, Capryloylhydroxamic Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Methylisothiazolinone

Gulbahar
July 28th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Apparently one of the main ingredients is katira (hence the name) which is tragacanth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragacanth), a natural gum. It's used for haircare in the Middle East and quite nice. But I doubt that it really would be able to "repair" fried hair.

Stephichan
July 28th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Woah, that is a quite a collection of amino acids! They practically put all 20 essential ones in there! Might well just slap a steak on your hair and let the juices soak.

If your hair hates protein treatments, then this probably wouldn't work either.

BlueWaterRed
July 28th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Just checked out the site, do any of these ingredients look potentially damaging in the long term?-
Water/Aqua, Glycerin, Katira, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Sodium PCA, Sodium Lactate, Arginine, Aspartic Acid, PCA, Glycine, Alanine, Serine, Valine, Proline, Threonine, Isoleucine, Histidine, Phenylalanine, Caprylyl Glycol, Capryloylhydroxamic Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Methylisothiazolinone

Hey, nice bit of typing all those long words for us!:) thanks ...