PDA

View Full Version : My dad told me a nice story this morning

freckles
July 27th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Just thought you guys might be interested in this.
I mentioned to my dad that I was planning on growing out my hair. I told him last week I'd switched to no 'poo, and he was super supportive - he's super supportive of long hair, too! Yay for my dad :cheese: (he had longish hair for a number of years himself).
Anyway, I was talking about various things I'd read on TLHC, and he said "your great-grandma died just after you were born, you know that, right?" I said yes, I did know that. He said "when she died, they [the coroners] took her hair down from its bun. It was the first time anyone [except her] had seen her hair down since her husband died. It was pure silver the whole way through - and it was down past her knees!"
Go, great nana! I thought it was pretty cool to have a longhair hero in my family, even one I can't remember meeting :) Hope you don't mind me sharing :)

Rain76
July 27th, 2009, 11:20 AM
What a cool story! That is amazing that someone so old could grow her hair THAT long! What a blessing that must have been for her. Thanks for sharing:)

InTheCity
July 27th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Great story!

LittleOrca
July 27th, 2009, 11:45 AM
:) That hair must have been amazing. :)

spidermom
July 27th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I wish you had pictures of that.

freckles
July 27th, 2009, 12:12 PM
forgot to say, I found it funny that my dad almost apologetically tagged onto the end of the story that she was only 4'8". :lol: I still think knee+ length hair is an achievement at any height -- especially, as Rain76 says, at an older age :)
spidermom - obviously there aren't photos of her hair down, but maybe, if I ask my dad nicely, he'll have a bit search and see if there are any photos of her that show her bun, I bet it was pretty impressive! If I can cajole some out of him (or my grandma) I'll be certain to post them on TLHC :D

walkinglady
July 27th, 2009, 12:12 PM
That is so cool! My great grandma had super long hair too! My mom helped comb her hair out before bed one night. It was the only time I saw it down and I was awestruck! I bet both you and I will pass this long hair tradition onto another generation : )

jennylouwhoo
July 27th, 2009, 12:26 PM
thats amazing

melrose1985
July 27th, 2009, 12:43 PM
That's really neat!

Coriander
July 27th, 2009, 01:34 PM
How lovely to share a bond with a family member... even if they're not with us anymore.

My mom tells me that her aunt Lily had hair all the way down to her ankles... I wish I could have met her.

:flower: Thank you for sharing this.

lydimoo
July 27th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Wow. Thats an awesome story, thanks for sharing. Good luck with your own growing :)

embee
July 27th, 2009, 01:52 PM
What a neat tidbit of family history! Yes, you need to find a picture of her, and make a note about her hair - that's something special to pass on for sure!

My mom had hair to her waist as long as I can remember, but when she was younger she had short hair, I know that from old photos.

Medievalmaniac
July 27th, 2009, 03:38 PM
That really is a special story. Thank you for sharing it with us!

theskeletonkey
July 27th, 2009, 03:43 PM
That's awesome!

WritingPrincess
July 27th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Wow. How wonderful to have a family member with hair to aspire to. I want to have super-long, pure silver hair.

SheaLynne
July 27th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Ooh, that is inspiring. It is amazing what seeing/hearing about others can do to encourage you!

Best wishes with your hair growth (sounds like good growth genes for you!)

Teazel
July 27th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Maybe one day your hair will be legendary in your family, freckles. :)

freckles
July 27th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Maybe one day your hair will be legendary in your family, freckles. :)
that would be very cool indeed :)

Wicked Princess
July 27th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Wow! That sounds like it would have been gorgeous! If you do find older pictures of her hair up, do share :) It sounds like you have some good hair-growth genes in your family!

Katurday
July 27th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Aww, you're so lucky.My genetic history
shows that the longest I can grow my
hair is tailbone - proudly worn by my great
grandma. She has hair so strong that she
pulls out a hair to fasten it into a bun!

redneckprincess
July 27th, 2009, 05:45 PM
not at all thanks for sharing, past her knees and no one ever see it wow!!

freckles
July 27th, 2009, 05:48 PM
well thanks all for your compliments on my excellent genes, but since I've never tried to grow my hair that long I guess we'll have to wait and see whether or not I inherited those ones, LOL. Here's hoping. :)

Nyghtingale
July 27th, 2009, 05:52 PM
That's a great story. Thanks for sharing. It's always nice to find out something new about an ancestor. Makes a connection across time.

longhairedfairy
July 27th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Wow, I bet it was pretty!

Tressie
July 27th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Wonderful! I'm so glad your Dad shared that with you! She probably never had her hair cut! Just beautiful to think that you are going to carry on the tradition of long hair!! (o: Blessings!

enfys
July 28th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I bet her bun looked awesome!
Fingers crossed you got those genes.

aprilmay
July 28th, 2009, 11:42 AM
That is a sweet story.:)

JamieLeigh
July 29th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Aww. That's awesome to have so much support, and so much long hair history right in your own family. I can't imagine a better way for your dad to show his support than to tell you that. :flower:

Mrs.X
July 29th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Thats a lovely story! I think one of my aunts has pretty long hair, i've never seen her take it down but she always keeps it in a pretty large bun, i'd imagine its at least to her tailbone.

ZadenWillowfyre
July 29th, 2009, 11:09 AM
That is so cool..I want to have very long silver/white hair one day lol.