PDA

View Full Version : Buns for layered, APL hair.

bahannas
July 27th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Any suggestions? Searched and couldn't find anything. My hair is barely past APL, and fine - medium thick. I'm working on the lazy wrap bun but can't get it to stay in place.

peachrose
July 27th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Off the top of my head I would say:
-Gibson tuck
-French twist
-Twin cinnibuns

:flower:

jennylouwhoo
July 27th, 2009, 12:11 PM
my hair is apl but not layerd and i can do a french twist and a simple twist and wrap bun or a braided bun

Madame J
July 27th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I have almost-APL, heavily layered hair, and I've had success with a sort of flipped cinnabun. I can only get maybe one and a half coils of a bun, so I coil around and then flip it up, so that the tail sticks out on one side, kinda like one of those awareness ribbons. Then I pin it in place with a stick by sticking the stick horizontally through, catching hair from one side of the loop, scalp hair, and the other side. I have a picture of a braided version in my updo album. The braid really helps catch all the layers. I also have a picture of the regular, twisted version secured with a flexi -- it looks a bit like a logroll.

Someone recently posted an "APL Chopstick Bun" that might work for you -- my hair is still just a bit too short/thick.

FallenAngel
July 27th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Pics, anyone? I have the same "problem".

Edited - Oh no, I'm not that long yet... sorry. thougth I read shoulder, but that was wrong. Sorry.

bahannas
July 27th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the replies. :)

Madame J, do you have a link for the APL chopstick bun?

Madame J
July 27th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the replies. :)

Madame J, do you have a link for the APL chopstick bun?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=28451

lapushka
July 27th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Make a ponytail, don't flip the last bit through, then stick pins in the pouch and through the back of the elastic on both sides, then hide the ends. It's actually a bit of a cheater updo for short hair - it makes it seem long while it really isn't.

This is how it looks:
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/album.php?albumid=260&pictureid=27696

Reptilia
July 27th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Mine is a bit longer than yours, but the lazy bun seems to work really well for me! It took a few tries and I think I might be doing it a bit different but it holds realllly well, I can wear it all day. I would say just play with it and experiment until you find something that holds.

LisaB234
July 27th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Have you tried a sock bun? I do a sock bun with the ends left out and people always comment that my hair looks so long. . . I also have APL with layers. . .

florenonite
July 27th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I started a thread (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=72187) back when my hair was somewhere between SL and APL asking for updos, which might help you. It was thick and layered at the time, too.

teela1978
July 27th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I think there's an article for the "Mrs. El (or maybe just L)" knot and a modified version of that worked well for me at shorter lengths.

Quick directions that might make no sense:

Hold hair in a ponytail.
Place stick above tail.
Wrap hair around the stick once (you can do more wraps for longer hair... I find it uncomfortable though).
Rotate stick either clockwise or counterclockwise, whichever tightens things up (this depends on which hand your ponytail starts out in).
Might not make any sense part: Dig the stick into your scalp hair and sorta invert it. Like after you tightened things, the pointy part should be going mostly upwards. You want to make the pointy part go into your scalp hair, through the twisty part, and out the bottom so the stick is pointy-end down in your hair, and keeping your hair up.

Different angles hold better/worse depending on how long/thick your hair is, but I could even do this at just below shoulder length.

Paliele
July 27th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I can hold my layered between-shoulder-and-APL hair up in a cinnamon bun with a hairstick (actually a double-pointed knitting needle) if it's wet. Dry? No such luck. Have you tried starting wet?

teela1978
July 27th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Oh! also, a weird version of a 'flipped bun'. Normal flipped buns involve well.. flipping a bun and then sticking a fork/stick in it. That never held well for me. Make a cinnamon bun, stick a fork (sticks can work, but forks are better, mine is plastic and came from big lots) upwards into the bun, and then do the inverting/flipping thing by digging the prongs into scalp hair, and pushing down till the prongs are facing down. It can be really tight, and often takes practice to figure out the proper tension, but it holds like a rock.

manderly
July 27th, 2009, 07:45 PM
You can try my Manderly Knot (in my siggy) if your shortest layers aren't TOO short :)

It worked best when I was around APLish.

bahannas
July 27th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks everyone! :p I tried some of these using a colored pencil, but none of them stayed for more than a few seconds before unraveling (even the pencil bun :rolleyes:) I think it's time to invest in some hair toys. Saved the link on this thread, can't wait to come back and try them with actual hair sticks!