PDA

View Full Version : Putting hair up causing more shedding?

charlyee
July 27th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Hello everyone,

I noticed before when I had long hair that I seem to shed more during washing if I have my hair up for a day. This is one of the reasons I had it cut off since I am required to wear below shoulder length hair up at work and the shedding was frustrating me.

I started growing my hair again and can just put it up with a couple of twists and pinned in place. I usually do this over the weekend and noticed much more shedding when I washed my hair last Monday and also today.

I am not being rough and using hair friendly accessories or so I think. What could be causing this?

Is it just a coincidence? Anyone else notice this?

Thanks much for your help. :)

Simplicity
July 27th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Could it possibly seem like you're shedding more because the shed hairs don't have the chance to fall out while secured in your updo?

patience
July 27th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Could it possibly seem like you're shedding more because the shed hairs don't have the chance to fall out while secured in your updo?

This is my guess too. It just seems like your shedding more because it's happening at the one moment you take it down and comb it out. Just like if you wait a couple of days to wash, it will look like a lot of hair, but it's really not.

ericthegreat
July 27th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Well how for long do you wear your hair up? If you leave it up for more than day, then you aren't shedding more you are simply holding onto the strands that you naturally would have shed out. So of course when you do take down your hair and brush it out you will notice more hair shedding out, but its obviously due to you building up the strands you would normally shed out.

But, if you are wearing your hair up very tight, it can also be possible that you are suffering from traction alopecia. This is a condition where you start losing hair because the hairstyle you are wearing is too tight, its pulling out your hair by the roots. So maybe you should choose a looser style to wear, that might help with reducing the shedding as well.

whitethorn
July 27th, 2009, 11:20 AM
i work in catering and i also have to tie my hair up and at one stage totally freaked out i was sure i was going bald it even got to the stage where i counted every single hair that i combed out each evening ,then i would get my husband to look through my hair hair for bald patches, my husband would reasure me there was none, now that is over 2 years ago and i still have long hair but i got over my phobia, i now think because my hair is long i thought it was a lot coming out when i brushed in the evening but if it was short i wouldnt have noticed. now i comb it gently condition it well and i wash only in cold water , i dont tie too tight and now its a whole lot better

charlyee
July 27th, 2009, 11:50 AM
This is my guess too. It just seems like your shedding more because it's happening at the one moment you take it down and comb it out. Just like if you wait a couple of days to wash, it will look like a lot of hair, but it's really not.Thanks, I was thinking of that and hoping that was the case. I like the flexibility of being able to wear my hair up and did not want to give that up.
Well how for long do you wear your hair up? If you leave it up for more than day, then you aren't shedding more you are simply holding onto the strands that you naturally would have shed out. So of course when you do take down your hair and brush it out you will notice more hair shedding out, but its obviously due to you building up the strands you would normally shed out.

But, if you are wearing your hair up very tight, it can also be possible that you are suffering from traction alopecia. This is a condition where you start losing hair because the hairstyle you are wearing is too tight, its pulling out your hair by the roots. So maybe you should choose a looser style to wear, that might help with reducing the shedding as well.I wear it up for about 10-12 hours never overnight. I didn't think I was twisting it too tightly but I will watch for that. Thanks

i work in catering and i also have to tie my hair up and at one stage totally freaked out i was sure i was going bald it even got to the stage where i counted every single hair that i combed out each evening ,then i would get my husband to look through my hair hair for bald patches, my husband would reasure me there was none, now that is over 2 years ago and i still have long hair but i got over my phobia, i now think because my hair is long i thought it was a lot coming out when i brushed in the evening but if it was short i wouldnt have noticed. now i comb it gently condition it well and i wash only in cold water , i dont tie too tight and now its a whole lot betterThanks, I believe you are right. I also do need to get over my phobia.