PDA

View Full Version : Volume at the top (with pic as an example)

Sarah4983
July 27th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Okay, so now that I'm back to cones, my hair is extremely slippery again, and even though I'm only using cones from my ears down, it's as if my hair is heavier now (?) and making the hair at the top of my head lay flat. When I had this problem before, let's say... about a year ago, I would tease it (*GASP*) and it worked really well... but then once I saw pictures of damaged hair from teasing I stopped immediately :D

I want my hair to have more volume at the top, like this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3504/3461820903_97377e69c6.jpg

...without using all kinds of potentially damaging products in my hair or teasing as she has probably had done.

I have tried blowdrying the roots of my hair on low heat with my head upsidedown and it almost made it flatter on top, if that is even possible...I don't know but it happens to me. :mad:

Any suggestions??

templeofvenus
July 27th, 2009, 08:21 AM
If you do find out how to get that volume do let me know as I love the volume at the top look and I too can only get this from teasing and hairspray which I try not to do very often

misstwist
July 27th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Volume at the top can be achieved with rollers at the crown. Magnetic rollers and pin curls can give decent volume in as little as 30 minutes if your hair curls well.

Use the beginning of the roller set in this video http://stylebell.wordpress.com/2008/03/10/how-to-use-hot-rollers-for-the-hottest-curls/ with magnetic rollers or with hot rollers if you want.

If you don't object to the hairdryer you can use the blowdryer on warm right after you set the rollers and then let it cool before taking down the rollers.

If you don't have rollers and would like to give this a try, take a look at this tutorial from Super Kawaii Mama. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57l_AjspIq8&feature=channel_page Again, you don't need to do the sides.

Try these out, but expect to have to play with it a few times to get what you are after.

*video link fixed*

Good luck!

Sarah4983
July 27th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Thank you!!!!!! Rollers!
I never thought of rollers!!!

I have giant 2.5" foam velcro rollers... do you think these would work like the magnetic ones?

Sarah4983
July 27th, 2009, 08:41 AM
wait miss twist it's the same video twice; what is the 2nd one? Doesn't matter. hehe, you're my hero right now. ROLLERS! *hits self on forehead* Why didn't I think of that?

I will definitely try this and update on how it works!

templeofvenus
July 27th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Thank you!!!!!! Rollers!
I never thought of rollers!!!

I have giant 2.5" foam velcro rollers... do you think these would work like the magnetic ones?

I have the velcro ones but don't like using them they feel rough and I worry they are rough on my hair :( let me know if you get a good result! foam velcro ones they sound different to mine, mine are just the large velcro ones?

misstwist
July 27th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Velcro rollers work just as well. I don't use them because they leave my hair fuzzy.

*ETA--Wait, foam velcro? Do you mean the ones you sleep on or do you have velcro rollers with a flocked surface?

Sarah4983
July 27th, 2009, 09:58 AM
OKAY!! I gave this a quick try.
Because my hair was just washed last night, instead of rolling my hair while damp after a shower, I rolled my dry hair and spritzed some water near the roots and blew them dry with my "Fast Dry Anti-Static Ion Diffuser" dryer ;)

And... the result was good.

Scroll down and join me through my 10 minute journey of crown fullness. :D

My 3 types of rollers:

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/sarah4983/0727091050.jpg

I have these, and they are good for tighter curls. There is a soft foam block and in the middle of the foam is a wire with a soft cloth cover and once you roll up the hair you twist the wires together to hold.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/sarah4983/0727091050a.jpg

These are large and probably do some damage to my hair, as the velcro is pretty rough. I don't use these much...

However...

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/sarah4983/0727091051.jpg

THESE are softer velcro and have foam in the middle which is great. I used to use these a lot maybe 5 years ago on my whole head when I was at shoulder length... I'd put them in damp hair and leave them in until my hair dried and once I took them out I'd have fuller hair with a slight wave throughout. Of course, that's when my hair was shorter... I tried using them last month and did not get the same effect :(

Okay! So.....

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/sarah4983/0727091053.jpg

Flat hair at the top! Makes my head look, funny. To me, anyway. (wow the back of my hair looks terrible today! sheesh)

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/sarah4983/0727091112.jpg

So.... With 3 foamy velcro curlers I blew dry lightly on low setting for maybe 3 minutes... Then I let them set for about 5.....

and....

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/sarah4983/0727091117.jpg

....Voilą!!!! And that was just a super quick attempt... You probably can't tell from the picture, but there is much more "height" at the top. I will try this again after my next hair washing in a couple days and I'm sure it will be an even more dramatic result :)

Thank you misstwist!

Fethenwen
July 27th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Wow! Lovely! Have you also tried to sleep with your hair in a ponytail on top of your head? I get quite a lot of volume from that.
----

A quick question (a bit off topic). Is teasing the same as backcombing?

Sarah4983
July 27th, 2009, 10:06 AM
thank you!! I was quite excited about the result :)

Teasing, I think... is the same as backcombing... As far as I know.

I used to do it often with hairspray and get pretty decent fullness at the crown, but then I saw this one day:

http://www.mastercolorist.com/images/scan0131.jpg

Apparently the hair shaft is supposed to be smooth... ha. Oops! :o

GlennaGirl
July 27th, 2009, 10:07 AM
A quick question (a bit off topic). Is teasing the same as backcombing?

Yes. (10 characters)

Merlin
July 27th, 2009, 10:10 AM
OKAY!! ..... and blew them dry with my "Fast Dry Anti-Static Ion Diffuser" dryer ;)

Err, does that allow you to detect cloaked Romulan Warbirds?

Sarah4983
July 27th, 2009, 10:12 AM

:tongue: Psssshhhh.... of COURSE!!!

misstwist
July 27th, 2009, 10:54 AM
OKAY!! I gave this a quick try.
Because my hair was just washed last night, instead of rolling my hair while damp after a shower, I rolled my dry hair and spritzed some water near the roots and blew them dry with my "Fast Dry Anti-Static Ion Diffuser" dryer ;)

And... the result was good.

Scroll down and join me through my 10 minute journey of crown fullness. :D

My 3 types of rollers:

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/sarah4983/0727091050.jpg

I have these, and they are good for tighter curls. There is a soft foam block and in the middle of the foam is a wire with a soft cloth cover and once you roll up the hair you twist the wires together to hold.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/sarah4983/0727091050a.jpg

These are large and probably do some damage to my hair, as the velcro is pretty rough. I don't use these much...

However...

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/sarah4983/0727091051.jpg

THESE are softer velcro and have foam in the middle which is great. I used to use these a lot maybe 5 years ago on my whole head when I was at shoulder length... I'd put them in damp hair and leave them in until my hair dried and once I took them out I'd have fuller hair with a slight wave throughout. Of course, that's when my hair was shorter... I tried using them last month and did not get the same effect :(

Okay! So.....

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/sarah4983/0727091053.jpg

Flat hair at the top! Makes my head look, funny. To me, anyway. (wow the back of my hair looks terrible today! sheesh)

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/sarah4983/0727091112.jpg

So.... With 3 foamy velcro curlers I blew dry lightly on low setting for maybe 3 minutes... Then I let them set for about 5.....

and....

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/sarah4983/0727091117.jpg

....Voilą!!!! And that was just a super quick attempt... You probably can't tell from the picture, but there is much more "height" at the top. I will try this again after my next hair washing in a couple days and I'm sure it will be an even more dramatic result :)

Thank you misstwist!

Very nice results! Glad I could help.

enfys
July 28th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Since I don't have any rollers that big, I'm thinking of cutting up some Pringles tubes or something. Are they about the same size? I like the effect they gave you.

ButterCup02
July 28th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Oh wow that looked awesome! I used to tease my hair to get more volume at the top too, but quit since coming here and seeing how bad it is for your hair. I definitely need to go get some of those foam rollers now! The result looks great! Thanks for posting that!

Sarah4983
July 28th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Since I don't have any rollers that big, I'm thinking of cutting up some Pringles tubes or something. Are they about the same size? I like the effect they gave you.
That's a great idea!! I'm sure if you glued some kind of... hmmm... felt maybe? around the can and used bobby it would work just as well.

Oh wow that looked awesome! I used to tease my hair to get more volume at the top too, but quit since coming here and seeing how bad it is for your hair. I definitely need to go get some of those foam rollers now! The result looks great! Thanks for posting that!

Thanks!! And no problem! I can't wait to try it after my hair is wet... should work better.

Curlsgirl
July 28th, 2009, 12:38 PM
One other idea rather than rollers is to part your hair the opposite way while it is drying and then move it over to the other side. Also if you use cones, or well any conditioner you really only need it from about the ears down so that should help too.

florenonite
July 28th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I find it helps to only finger-comb my hair when it's wet, and wait to properly comb it until it's dry. If I comb the roots when it's wet it tends to all stick to my head. I see you have fine hair, too, so that might be part of your problem.

Another thing that helps is bending over, finger-combing my hair, then combing it from the nape down to the ends. When I stand up there's plenty of volume. If you use some AVG or something you might get good hold.

adiapalic
July 28th, 2009, 01:29 PM
In addition to tons of hair products, some people use extensions to get more volume in their hair--that's what it looks like in the example photo above.

I think rollers is a much healthier route though. I've never fancied the idea of extensions that much.

misstwist
July 28th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Orange juice concentrate cans are what my grandmother set my mother's hair with in the 60's.

rach
July 28th, 2009, 02:49 PM
lol

Orange juice concentrate cans are what my grandmother set my mother's hair with in the 60's.
i was going to say. wasn't that the fashion back then, and it was a hair straintening method with omph......

TokyoPink
July 28th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Theres a thing you can buy called a 'bumpit' which is like a clip thing that you put under your hair to give it volume... i dont really know how to explain it but I've heard nothing but good things about it, and i think there was a woman on this forum who said they used it (i think it was dementia but i may be wrong)
I'd check it out, because it looks pretty good :)

manderly
July 28th, 2009, 03:23 PM
FYI, if you're in a hurry, blowdrying the roots upside-down does work. You just have to use the same technique with your rollers, i.e., get the roots hot, then let them cool down before you flip your head over.

I blast my roots with my diverter on my hairdryer quickly, then I blast them again with the cool button until my roots have cooled down. Then I usually shack and finger tousle my roots while my head is still upside down to cool them off completely. Then I flip back and I've got POOF.

If you don't let your roots cool before you flip your head back over, your roots will fall flat as they cool and get ever flatter.

Sarah4983
July 29th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I used the big foamy velcro rollers all over my head, and did it the right way this time... on damp hair... and I'm letting it air dry as I type this.
I am going to use a low setting on my blowdryer and I'm wondering if I should do a light (very light) mist of hairspray before taking them out. Otherwise I have a feeling I'm going to lose the "oomph" like I did a couple months ago when using these rollers.

Is hairspray the devil or is it okay every once in a while? It's expensive hairspray that I bought just prior to joining this forum, so I never got a chance to use it...

florenonite
July 29th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I just had another thought that might help you: don't condition your scalp. If I condition my scalp, my hair lies flat, but if I don't I get some volume. I don't know if it's as much volume as you'd like, but it might help the volume from the rollers hold better.

spidermom
July 29th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Sleeping with a top-of-head ponytail gives me volume in the morning. I also get volume from moving my part to the opposite side. I used to blow-dry upside down for volume, but it only worked if I used a little mousse at the roots. My hair tangles too much now to flip it from upside down to right side up. (there are disadvantages to extra length)

klcqtee
July 29th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I rinse my hair upside-down (head by my knees, basically)and comb it gently forward in the shower with lots of conditioner. All of it should be combed forward! Then I just leave my hair like that and wrap my head in a towel (with my hair still combed forward). I just leave it light that to dry. Gives me lots of volume and wave. Unfortunately, I spend hours with a towel on my head, but that's life.

rhondalicious
July 29th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I just recently bought a set of bumpits, and I've only been brave enough to do a mini-bump with the smallest one under my bangs, but it turned out really cute! I just lifted my hair straight up, sprayed a dab of hairspray on the back/underside of my hair, let that dry a bit, then put in the little bump thing, and smoothed it all back over the top (And used a million bobby pins because my bangs are too short) - it stayed in all day and looked really nice.

I'm trying a bigger bump on Sunday (the medium one) - we'll have to see if it lasts through the hour I spend conducting the children's choir!

PS: I bet if you had a velcro foam roller in the same color as your hair, you could use it as a bumpit type thing, and the velcro would probably hold pretty nicely...

misstwist
July 29th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Theres a thing you can buy called a 'bumpit' which is like a clip thing that you put under your hair to give it volume... i dont really know how to explain it but I've heard nothing but good things about it, and i think there was a woman on this forum who said they used it (i think it was dementia but i may be wrong)
I'd check it out, because it looks pretty good :)

I just bought a set of bumpits to try. They don't work for me because my hair is very fine. I've seen them referred to as a no teasing solution, but the directions do instruct you to tease and use hairspray.

"You must tease hair to prevent teeth from showing through. The finer the hair the more you should tease"

I don't think so.

I will be using mine as forms to build rats around so they can be used without teasing.

feralnature
July 29th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Still contemplating the cloaked Romulan Warbirds.