PDA

View Full Version : Help with oil?

Periwinkle
July 27th, 2009, 06:32 AM
I normally oil my hair with coconut oil when it's still wet.

A while ago, I posted about a mysterious white flake issue. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=26068) This got so bad that I stopped ever taking my hair down in front of people to redo it for fear everyone would think I had terrible, terrible dandruff :eek:

I decided that I'd start from scratch, and so I shampooed the whole length of my hair, conditioned as normal and then left it (no oiling). The while flakes weren't totally gone, but it was a lot better than it had been. Unfortunately, my hair felt terrible - like doll hair.

Yesterday, I shampooed the scalp, conditioned as usual and then used some leave-in spray on the length and a tiny, tiny bit of coconut oil on the ends. There's still a tiny amount of the flakes, but hardly anything - I had to comb my hair over black fabric to check, and that's a major improvement.

So now I'm suspicious that it's the coconut oil.

The only problem is, my hair doesn't feel nearly as nice without oiling, and for my ends, it's pretty much essential.

So, what can I do? Any ideas?

Gulbahar
July 27th, 2009, 08:02 AM
What kind of coconut oil did you use? I somehow can't imagine that it would be _only_ that, more a combination of the oil and something else. Did you try any other oil and if so - did it cause the same sort of flakes?

Periwinkle
July 27th, 2009, 09:16 AM
100% pure coconut oil. No, I haven't tried any others.

The flakes were only on the length and not on my scalp, and I only oil the length, which further points to the oiling...I've been oiling my hair for a long time, though, and this is only the last few months, which is strange.

Spike
July 27th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Did you just recently change brands/types/batches of oil? I mean like: "Before I used Oooey Gooey coconut oil, but then I ran out and switched to Nuts To Ya! coconut oil."

Or "I used to use refined coconut oil, but then I changed to virgin cold-pressed coconut oil."

Or even "I'm using the same brand and type I've always used, but I started a new jar recently."

< scratches head > Something has to have changed, and it sounds like something in the oil rather than something internal since you're getting flakes in the hair but not the scalp.

Rohele
July 27th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Do you use any products besides the oil? (leave in conditioner, something to bring out the waves etc. ?)

To me it sound likes some sort of product build up, since its only on the length and not the scalp. I've had something similar happen, but it's when I've used too much gel or curl creme or those sorts of products and then brushed or combed my hair after it's dry - manipulating the hair causes the excess product to flake off.

Periwinkle
July 27th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I've only ever used the one sort of oil, so it's not the change.

I initially thought it was buildup, but repeated clarifying hasn't helped. Normally, I shampoo the scalp, condition the length and then put oil in as a leave-in. I occasionally use gel, but only on my fringe.

Periwinkle
July 27th, 2009, 11:35 AM
A little more research suggests that it could be something to do with rinsing in cold water...does that sound familiar to anyone?

spidermom
July 27th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I was just thinking about how coconut oil solidifies into a white solid during cooler temperatures, so maybe that was happening in your hair. I've never had that happen, though, not even when using coconut oil during the winter. My hair seems to absorb most of it pretty quickly. Have you tried a different oil like jojoba or apricot kernal?

walkinglady
July 27th, 2009, 12:07 PM
When I first used coconut oil it made my hair dry and brittle. Truthfully, I don't remember if it got flakey or not. I switched back to jojoba and my hair was great.

Fast forward, years later I tried coconut oil again; this time no problem. My hair both absorbs and craves it. Is it possible your hair loved it for a long time but now it simply doesn't?

jennylouwhoo
July 27th, 2009, 12:09 PM
do you use cones maybe the oil is removing the cone buildup and causing the flakes

Periwinkle
July 28th, 2009, 04:34 AM
do you use cones maybe the oil is removing the cone buildup and causing the flakes

Yes, I do use cones...that's a thought. I haven't always had this proble, though, and I've had the flakes even immediately after clarifying.

bjt
July 28th, 2009, 07:20 AM
hey--this might be way off base, but is there something else external that it could be.. like did you purchase a new towel recently that you're using to dry your ends and it's leaving lint? new sheets or pillowcases? new laundry detergent/softener? anything that comes in contact with your hair that is leaving something in it? It just seems like its got to be external since you aren't getting flakes on or near your scalp (if I read your posts correctly).

SimplyViki
July 28th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Hmm... that is an interesting problem. I use coconut oil an d cones, though, and I don't notice any flakes, so I'm not sure it could be that... but then, people's hair varies so wildly there's no telling.

I wonder if monoi oil would help, since it's the liquid version of coconut oil? (They do something to it, but I forget what, that makes it no longer solidify at such a high temperature).

Gulbahar
July 28th, 2009, 07:45 AM
I wonder if monoi oil would help, since it's the liquid version of coconut oil? (They do something to it, but I forget what, that makes it no longer solidify at such a high temperature).
Not necessarily. I had Monoi Oil that was as solid as any other coconut oil. But the cone idea is something to think about. I read somewhere on this board that cones can collide with oils. Not always, but it might be the explanation in this case.