PDA

View Full Version : Old Hair Infomercials.

RancheroTheBee
July 26th, 2009, 08:08 PM
http://jezebel.com/5323235/hair-today--gone-tomorrow-a-trip-down-wacky-hair-infomercial-lane

I totally had that Topsy Tail thing, too. :p Wow, and that was a fabulous alliteration.

And this super old Sunsilk ad! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVhD87J0IJ8&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fjezebel.com%2F5323235%2Fhair-today--gone-tomorrow-a-trip-down-wacky-hair-infomercial-lane&feature=player_embedded)

SeaShell
July 26th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the trip down memory lane!! I remember the topsy tail....I still have one somewhere! I'm actually tempted to buy the "split ender" but it seems a bit dangerous...I can see me accidentally cutting my hair off at the roots with that!!

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 26th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I'm actually tempted to buy the "split ender" but it seems a bit dangerous...I can see me accidentally cutting my hair off at the roots with that!!

lol this reminded me of the flowbee lol
http://www.flowbee.com (http://www.flowbee.com/)

Naamah
July 26th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Hahaha I remember those. That was fun to watch.

RancheroTheBee
July 26th, 2009, 08:40 PM

My mom almost bought one of those. :rolleyes: I'm sooo glad that plan fell through. Now she wants a Slapchop.

ericthegreat
July 26th, 2009, 08:48 PM
This is a Pantene hair commercial from the 1980s. Her hairstyle literally dates this commercial, she has the whole big, fluffy 80s poof going on!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz8ul-gmLyA

SeaShell
July 26th, 2009, 09:07 PM

I don't understand that thing...it seems complicated with the whole "keep it perpendicular" thing??! and why would anyone trust that on their hair? :confused:

pradabacon
July 26th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Ahhhhhh! My dad had a Flowbee! He used it on himself and both my brothers. Worked like a charm...I wonder what ever happened to that thing? I bet I could sell it on eBay. :p

Gumball
July 26th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I still have a Topsy Tail. I love that thing! Now a Hairagami on the other hand never agreed with my head.

RancheroTheBee
July 26th, 2009, 09:40 PM
This is a Pantene hair commercial from the 1980s. Her hairstyle literally dates this commercial, she has the whole big, fluffy 80s poof going on!

OH, MY GOD. That was amazing! Hahaha! I also love how not only was she rubbing her scalp while blowdrying, but she was also scrubbing her hair while she toweldried. Maybe that's why her hair was so damaged before. Hahahahaha. I loved that.

LittleOrca
July 26th, 2009, 10:55 PM
From site:

Bumpits: Okay, these haven't been retired yet. But Sarah Palin is leaving office, so it's only a matter of time.

:rollin: That was fantastic. I dislike Palin and Bumpits, but the Bumpits...:shudder: it just keeping a horrible style, that needs to be put to sleep, alive.

Laurel32
July 26th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Does anyone remember that contraption that braids hair?

ericthegreat
July 26th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Oh they tested that hair braider on a news segment of Fox 5 news(here in NYC) I think maybe 3 years ago. They got three 12 yr old girls to try to test out the machine and vote on whether or not it was a good product and it ended up actually twisting their hair all around and for one of the girls her hair actually got stuck! She had to get her hair pried out gently, and all 3 of the girls who tested this machine voted a NO, don't ever use this product for your hair!

rogue_psyche
July 26th, 2009, 11:38 PM
If that split ender indeed works as described, I would buy it. I have a feeling it isn't as easy as it says it is.

ericthegreat
July 26th, 2009, 11:55 PM
This is in fact a more recent infomercial but I will keep seeing the Maxi-glide str8 iron pop up. The inventor of the Maxi-glide (who is male and has long, BSL naturally curly hair) actually claims that his special unique flat iron actually makes your hair healthier! :rolleyes: He claims that his supposedly patented design actually smooths out the hair cuticle improving its condition. :rolling: Yes, I'm sure steaming your hair at up to 400 degrees will indeed be very kind to your hair oh yes. :bs: Plus, he even came up with his own leave-in styling treatment which he even states is loaded with silicones and that they are actually good for your hair. :run:

Now I admit that I flat iron and blow out my own hair on more than a few occasions, but at least I'm under no false pretenses that my special ceramic flat iron will somehow "improve" the quality of my hair or that if I apply a heat protectant spray that it will actually be better for my hair than if I hadn't heat styled at all. I truly do feel sorry for those women(and men) who have truly been duped into thinking that these expensive products actually "protect" their hair from all that damaging heat. :brainbleach:

RancheroTheBee
July 27th, 2009, 12:28 AM
This is in fact a more recent infomercial but I will keep seeing the Maxi-glide str8 iron pop up. The inventor of the Maxi-glide (who is male and has long, BSL naturally curly hair) actually claims that his special unique flat iron actually makes your hair healthier! :rolleyes: He claims that his supposedly patented design actually smooths out the hair cuticle improving its condition. :rolling: Yes, I'm sure steaming your hair at up to 400 degrees will indeed be very kind to your hair oh yes. :bs: Plus, he even came up with his own leave-in styling treatment which he even states is loaded with silicones and that they are actually good for your hair. :run:

Now I admit that I flat iron and blow out my own hair on more than a few occasions, but at least I'm under no false pretenses that my special ceramic flat iron will somehow "improve" the quality of my hair or that if I apply a heat protectant spray that it will actually be better for my hair than if I hadn't heat styled at all. I truly do feel sorry for those women(and men) who have truly been duped into thinking that these expensive products actually "protect" their hair from all that damaging heat. :brainbleach:

Ohhh, I saw that. They had this ridiculous ad, and I was like, "Really? I don't see how a temperature that would scald my skin could save my hair. But whatever. I'm no expert."

free_hug
July 27th, 2009, 12:29 AM

Oooh wow, i love ths one :D How she encourages women to pile when shampoo, and blowdry, and just do anything because Pantene will heal their hair anyway... but i also love that she says "it won't happen overnight - but it will happen". Sounds a bit wiser than what we seem to have here lately, the "30 % less split ends right after the first use!" kind of ultra hurried ads, that must produce results immediately (and funnily enough, when the don't, people still buy them)

Natalia
July 27th, 2009, 01:35 AM

Lol ok i admit to owning one of those but i did not belive it would fix or help my hair. And while i dont straighten anymore i have to say....it did work very well :). I have used other flat irons since then but it takes me longer to get down my length (which has changed by an inch at best :( ) so im just subjecting it to the heat for longer so all in all if i were to strighten again that one was pretty good :p. Just saying.... lol

ericthegreat
July 27th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Oh Natalia don't beat yourself up over it :). As I've stated before I certainly do know that I am in fact damaging my hair when I do get it blown out and flat ironed. But as we all get to live once, why not go out and make sure you get your hair done perfectly!

Anje
July 27th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Wow... I had a crimper. But I liked big hair for a long time as a kid. Never did get a topsy tail device, though.

I'll say it again -- If the Split Ender worked by neatly trimming the tip off every hair, I would buy one immediately! However, it appears to rip the tip off every hair, so you need to use it quite often to keep those splits at bay! (If your hair doesn't split too fast, you still might gain a lot of length this way, but I don't like the idea of having every hair split if I go more than a month between uses of such a contraption!)

Chrissy
July 27th, 2009, 06:49 AM
The crimper made me cringe! I still have a topsy tail and I love it. The hairagami looks kind of fun. I wonder if it's kind to hair.

Chrissy
July 27th, 2009, 06:50 AM
OK I hated that Pantene commerical when it was out. The whole don't hate me because I'm beautiful thing. Uughh.

Altocumulus
July 27th, 2009, 06:56 AM

It's sucking my will to live!

WhitsEnd
July 30th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Hi everyone, I seen that several had questions about the split-ender.

I actually have one. I finally broke down to see if it would work. I did not lose any big chunks, just tiny little ends. I was scared at first but I use it pretty regularly now.

It does, however; snip the ends of ALL your hairs not just the ones that are split.

Oh and the miracle silk that came with it is ohhh I just love it. It has cones so some may not like it but my hair loves it. After I use it my hair really does feel like silk.

jivete
July 30th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I had a few friends that bought the split ender. It seemed to work great until it broke and unfortunately, I think it's pretty fragile.

thankyousir74
July 30th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Does anyone remember that contraption that braids hair?

I had one of these. They weren't english braids though, they were rope braids :/ Never worked too well either. I think it was called a twist-a-braid or something

punky
July 30th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I know most of you here are not old enough to remember,and there were no infomercials that I recall but there were hair rollers called Spoolies, in the 1960's. You wrapped your hair around the middle and folded the top over to hold the hair in place. They made my hair curly but were very uncomfortable to sleep on. I seen some called Spool's in the Harriet Carter Magazine the other day, they were similar and it did bring back memories. ;)

Gypsy
July 30th, 2009, 11:30 PM

Oh yeah!! Kelly LeBrock a.k.a the ex Mrs. Steven Segal, lol!
She was the hottest thing around back then and that commercial tagline was were we got the term "haters" from; it went from "don't hate me because I'm beautiful" to "Don't hate me 'cause you ain't me" to "People hatin' on me" to "Haters".

Gypsy
July 30th, 2009, 11:37 PM

That tool took OFF on the black hair care boards. They (the ones who used appliances)went berzerk for that thing and and it was big news when it showed up on HSN on flex-pay!
I admit to wanting one but not bad enough to pay that much for one.

RancheroTheBee
July 30th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I know most of you here are not old enough to remember,and there were no infomercials that I recall but there were hair rollers called Spoolies, in the 1960's. You wrapped your hair around the middle and folded the top over to hold the hair in place. They made my hair curly but were very uncomfortable to sleep on. I seen some called Spool's in the Harriet Carter Magazine the other day, they were similar and it did bring back memories. ;)

:laugh: I HAD THOSE. Except they were from Goody, I think. Those things were sort of always uncomfortable. And your hair stays damp for hours. Not sweet.

Oh yeah!! Kelly LeBrock a.k.a the ex Mrs. Steven Segal, lol!
She was the hottest thing around back then and that commercial tagline was were we got the term "haters" from; it went from "don't hate me because I'm beautiful" to "Don't hate me 'cause you ain't me" to "People hatin' on me" to "Haters".

For real? That's awesome. I was always kind of curious about that.

krn2891
July 31st, 2009, 12:29 AM
I remember watching the topsy tail commercials when I was a little kid. That was part of my insperation to grow out long hair. Never did get a topsy tail though. I may have to see if I can find one online. I do have the hairagami kit however but I never use it. My hair is too long so it just gets tangled up in trying to wrap it aroudn the hairagami.

going gray
July 31st, 2009, 02:07 PM
It was fun to watch a trip down memory lane. I have 2 topsy tails, never got rid of them.

Juanita
July 31st, 2009, 04:50 PM
Still got my topsy tail and occasionally use it.