PDA

View Full Version : prevention of fading??

amaiaisabella
April 13th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I apologize if this has been brought up before, but I have a problem concerning fading.

My hair had been dyed for 6 years, and the dye would basically fade after 2 weeks to a brassy red- but only the roots would fade, not the ends! It was terrible.

Finally I went to my new hairdresser and she recommended a deposit-only color that would prevent the fading. She took my medium brown hair to a dark chocolate brown, which I love. However, I'm really concerned that it's going to fade to that brassy red so I have been reading many tips on here :)

I do CO which has helped keep the color vibrant and really dark, but I noticed that there was still some brown dye left on my scalp. I mixed a dime sized amount of shampoo with half a bottle of water and poured it on my scalp. But it still faded just a tiny bit :( I'm going to stay with CO from now on but I know eventually it will build up and I'm going to have do a shampoo rinse. Is this unavoidable that I will have fading, or can I take more steps to prevent it?

I tried a BS rinse before and it was terrible. I used Garnier Nutrisse for colored hair and I didn't even use straight shampoo, yet it still faded. Does anyone know of any ways I can do a more gentle yet effective rinse?

amaiaisabella
April 13th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Here's a few pictures of my hair that I took today! I really like the second one:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z20/amaiai64/darkhair3.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z20/amaiai64/darkhair31.jpg

willowcandra
April 13th, 2008, 12:01 PM
hello.
Try not to spend to long in the sun.

Oil treatments and honey can pull the colour out. (and cinnamon I think I read.)

Try not to wash too often.

When I used to colour my hair I used Loreal Elvive colour protect shampoo and conditioner and that kept a semi in for ages.(it does have cones in, my hair loved it)
hth:)

amaiaisabella
April 13th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I put oil on my hair after I wash- I just use a dime size amount, rub into my hands, and then run through my hair. Would this accelerate fading?

jojo
April 13th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I love the shine you have, its amazing. I second the keeping out of the sun but you could do a coffee or molasses rinse, theres instructions somewhere I would think these would stop the fading but you have beautiful hair.

amaiaisabella
April 13th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Aww, thank you jojo! You're the first compliment I've received! :)

Would the coffee or molasses make me go darker or provide a barrier of sorts to keep it from fading?

prosperina
April 13th, 2008, 02:06 PM
You could do some herbal rinses with brown enhancing herbs like rosemary and sage. They wouldn't make you all that darker, they'd just enhance what you've got and they'd help cover up a bit if you did start to fade.

You've got very pretty hair! Love the color!

jojo
April 13th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Aww, thank you jojo! You're the first compliment I've received! :)

Would the coffee or molasses make me go darker or provide a barrier of sorts to keep it from fading?

I think it would keep it dark, if you Im bluenko she has amazing hair from doing molasses rinses, if my hair was darker id definitely try them, and the comliment was from the heart you have hair to be proud of, keep treating it with kindness and by the time your really long, i predict you will be a hair envy!:)

amaiaisabella
April 13th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Hmmm prosperina that sounds good. Do you have any recipes? Hopefully I won't have to use them but it's good to be prepared!

teela1978
April 13th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I've always heard that water is the main culprit in fading. Washing (in any form - CO, WO, no-poo) as little as possible is the best way to avoid it.

prosperina
April 13th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Well, I only did it on my hair once, and then I switched to chamomile since I am not a brunette.

But I think just brewing it like tea works fine: place herbs in coffee filter, tie up with a non hair friendly hair tie or a rubber band. put them in water for a while. Use. I usually do it up in a coffee cup. Some people are fancier and they do things involving the stove...:shrug: I try to avoid that. There should be info under the article section. Try Nighshade's article about coloring with herbs.

amaiaisabella
April 13th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Okay, I will check it out. Thanks! :)

Pegasus Marsters
April 13th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Yes, oil fades the dye. Not so much when you put it on, but when you wash it off it pulls the colour out with it.

Try and use colour protection shampoo and conditioner as much as possible. Garnier make some nice Fructis ones that smell great and are awesome for coloured hair.