PDA

View Full Version : Growing in from a weird haircut....

Maddy25
July 26th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Hi,

I'm having a really hard time growing in my hair and I need some advice. I just switched to no cones (is working great!) and hair seems in good condition but I am growing in from the weirdest hair cut! This is what it looks like right now naturally.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/Photo467.jpghttp://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/Photo469.jpg

I just find it looks so ugly and weird but I can't stand the thought of losing anymore length. I'm not sure what to do. Should I just trim and go with it until it's long enough to even out or should I take the plunge and try to even it out now? It's so thin in the front because the long layer is only the underneath hair, frustrating! :mad: What would you do?

Stubborn
July 26th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I would just let it grow another year and then trim to even it up a bit. That's just me though.

I think watever you do your hair will look nice.

Reptilia
July 26th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I would personally trim it now and then it keep growing!

Elphie
July 26th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Let me say first, I don't think your hair looks ugly at all, but part of what makes the growing out phase so tough is disliking your hair. If you find you can't alter it in a way that makes you happy (headbands, scarves, etc) then yes, I'd suggest a trim now rather than later.

Quixii
July 26th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Huh. That is a weird hair cut! Heh, sorry, that doesn't help.
I think I would just trim that longest weirdo layer in the front, like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/young_artist/maddy25.jpg
So you wouldn't lose that much length, hopefully, but will even it out a little?

Allegra
July 26th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I would just persevere. I'm sure there are some form of updo's or half updo's you can do just to get it out the way for a few months. I'm sure once it hits your shoulders it won't seem so 'weird'! Then just have small trims as you're growing it out to even it up. But till then i would just try forget about it and i'm sure by christmas even it will be a whole lot more manageable.

Maddy25
July 26th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Aw thanks everyone for the suggestions! It helps alot. Yeah it's tough because the back is too short for updos or even ponytails yet. But I bet I can do some interesting half updos like suggested.

Elphie
July 26th, 2009, 12:35 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=76

Igor has a great article with ideas on how to manage the growing out stage. Maybe it will help?

MuzicalH3rb
July 26th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I think we are growing out the same hair cut, except I'm further down the process than you are. I had that same problem, I got an inch taken off of the front to even out the back. Big mistake. Just hang in there and keep growing it.

redneckprincess
July 26th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I have a friend who had the same hair cut maybe even more slanted, she grew it out and though I havent seen her in about 7 months I hear she is still growing it without cutting or trimming, she says the front being longer like that make her feel like her hair is longer than it really is. I would say wait 3-6 months (depending on how fast your hair grows) and maybe trim off a bit to even it up if you still dont like it

longhairedfairy
July 26th, 2009, 12:53 PM
It doesn't look bad, but I can understand why it would bug you. I think I would just pin/clip the longer front pieces back with some pretty barrettes and try to ignore it.:)

rach
July 26th, 2009, 12:59 PM
it might naturally catch up at the back. peoples hair if left alone generally tend to V shape at the back because some hair grows seem to grow faster than others. don't know if that helps.

Aeasa
July 26th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I actually think it looks kinda cool...:flower:

I'd wait at least until the back can be put into an updo before I even it all out.
The haircut I'm growing from has my hair all mullet-style now and it looks about a bajillion times worse than yours. :)

Heidi_234
July 26th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I don't think it looks ugly, it looks cool (and probably makes an even cooler ponytail), but I believe at some point you'd prefer to get the side even with the back. So my advise is instead of thinking "Ugrh...all this length that I'm losing...", think that you got extra length that you're lucky to salvage, and that yes, it due for a trim, but right now you're enjoying the head start you have. For all it worth, I have 6" due for a trim, which is a whole year's growth worth, you have much, much less. :flower:

Addy
July 26th, 2009, 01:41 PM
If this were my hair, I'd definaltely cut the front to match the back like Quixii pointed out and maybe a little more to bring it closer to the nape length. I know it may seem like a lot of hair but I think you'd feel alot better about it.

I cut a ton of layers off when I hit APL. I went to shoulder length and although I missed the length, it was the best thing I could have ever done for my hair because my layers were so uneven. But that's just me.

Atleast if you cut it, it will look much better than having to deal with the long sides if you just don't feel like doing your hair. Believe me, there will be those days where you just look in the mirror and go meh, I don't want to mess with it.

florenonite
July 26th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Personally, I would cut it because having the different lengths would drive me mad. If you don't want to lose the length, you could pull the longer layers up into some kind of half-up so it looks like your hair's all one length without you actually having to cut it.

Unofficial_Rose
July 26th, 2009, 02:13 PM
it might naturally catch up at the back. peoples hair if left alone generally tend to V shape at the back because some hair grows seem to grow faster than others. don't know if that helps.

Yep, that's exactly what I was going to say. Most of us have to keep trimming the back so that the sides are not shorter. If it bothers you, I'd clip the sides back as others have said.

jera
July 26th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Aw thanks everyone for the suggestions! It helps alot. Yeah it's tough because the back is too short for updos or even ponytails yet. But I bet I can do some interesting half updos like suggested.

Would it be possible to sweep up and back the front and catch the shorter back hair with the longer front ends? :confused: Your hair seems to havereally good thickness. I think if you experiement a little, you'll find you have more possibilities than you know.

spidermom
July 26th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I would start trimming the longest pieces off a teeny bit at a time so as not to lose length but give the back a chance to catch up.

free_hug
July 26th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Huh. That is a weird hair cut! Heh, sorry, that doesn't help.
I think I would just trim that longest weirdo layer in the front, like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/young_artist/maddy25.jpg
So you wouldn't lose that much length, hopefully, but will even it out a little?

Agreed! Or more precisely: i think the weird style you have now is pretty cool, actually (in my opinion at least... but then again, im an official weirdo). And its most definitely not ugly. But if you really, really dislike it, you should just try what Quixii suggested, get rid of the longest front locks. That would make it look a lot more even, and you wouldn't have to lose much legth either.

enfys
July 26th, 2009, 03:23 PM
With the longer front bits you'll be able to make a ponytail sooner. the hardest part is getting them to reach. I'd guess that before long you'd have a ponytail, and after that it's easy as long as you never want to wear your hair totally down.

I'd leave it for a while longer unless it's very damaged, which you don't say it is at all.

Maddy25
July 26th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Wow thank you everyone! Im excited to try to play with it rather than just keep it the same everyday now! Hairstyles are tricky but Im gonna try to think of some :)

spidermom
July 26th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Looking at it again, I agree that pulling the sides up and back would be good for now. You can always start evening it out later when the back needs a trim.

Rohele
July 26th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I grew out from an angled cut like this. What I did was grow it until I couldn't stand the angle anymore (front was about shoulder length) and then had a small trim on the back (a few millimeters) and had the front angle reduced by about half of the length difference. I repeated this process two more times until it was even. It took almost a year (I let it grow for about 4 months between trims). Helped me feel like I wasn't losing all my length all at once.

akilina
July 26th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I had an A line. I cut it like that as my big cut to get all my horribly damaged hair off. There was no saving it. Theres pics of my cut in my album and pics of my hair now. It grew out just fine. You can't even tell I had an A line and I havent cut it since.

Maddy25
July 26th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Hi guys! Thank you so much for all the advice.

I was trying to think of ways to wear my hair up because I never have yet and it may make me love it more as its growing not to have to look at it all the time.

I came up with these

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/styles.jpg

What do you think? and if you have any more ideas please let me know, it would be nice to be able to do my hair differently for work everyday :)

Rohele
July 26th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Those are cute! I love the ones with the braids. :)

enfys
July 26th, 2009, 04:47 PM
You can't even tell! Looking good!

Elphie
July 26th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I really like the braids without the ponytail. When it gets a bit longer, if you can find a topsy tail, those things are handy for changing the look pretty easily.

free_hug
July 26th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Hey, these are really cute! So actually the half-ups work with your reverse hair :D
I'm no expert of updos, so i can't really help... just wanted to tell you that your (half) ups look good.

Other thing: a couple of people seems to suggest that nape hairs sometimes grow a bit faster than the crown, so it might even out a bit with new growth - so i have one more reason to say that if you decide to cut, maybe just a tiny trim on the from locks could be absolutely enough.

neon-dream
July 26th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Half ups would look great in your hair, as the front bits are longer!

Just_Isabel
July 26th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I love the hair styles you came up with, especially the ones with the braids. :)

I had an angled cut, too (but not as angled as yours). I let it grow for almost a year, I think, before I cut the front bits to make it all even.

As others have said, the longer front part will allow you to wear your hair in a ponytail (and other updos) sooner. And half ups look nice with that cut, too.

I wouldn't cut yet, especially because you're just starting to play with different styles - that should keep you from getting bored for a while. ;) When you can't stand that style anymore, I wouldn't even it out all at once because it'll seem like you lost a lot of length: usually, you only see your front, so you'll get used to the longer length as your "real length", if that makes sense. Doing gradually is probably better.

Nyghtingale
July 26th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Those are really cute braided styles.

heatherdazy
July 26th, 2009, 06:26 PM
An angled cut still makes sense at your length. I'd wait for the back to hit the shoulders then even it up.

wintersun99
July 26th, 2009, 06:35 PM

Speckla
July 26th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I'd say let it keep growing. Those up styles are too cute. You can do a ponytail and curl the bottom when it's a little longer or use bobbypins or barrettes to pin it up. Having the longer sides will help you "feel" like you have longer hair. I grew out an angled bob and would do 1/2 up and other styles. I felt like I had longer hair and it was easier to keep growing.

florenonite
July 26th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Those styles are really cute! I don't know if your hair's long enough for this, but you could maybe try a braided half-up, too.

Cereus
July 26th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I like your updos. There really is a lot you can do with your haircut.

redneckprincess
July 27th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Hi guys! Thank you so much for all the advice.

I was trying to think of ways to wear my hair up because I never have yet and it may make me love it more as its growing not to have to look at it all the time.

I came up with these

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/styles.jpg

What do you think? and if you have any more ideas please let me know, it would be nice to be able to do my hair differently for work everyday :)
Very cute I love the second to last one, half up folded bun...im wondering if your hair would be long enough to do a infant sized sockbun just like that half up, I bet it would work and look great....I dont have the link but if you search sock bun in the search you should be able to come up with some pics and tutorials or look on youtube...I love learning new styles as my hair gets longer

freckles
July 27th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I love the half-bun thing :) super cute, I was leaning towards 'trim the front' but with these styles - in your situation I would keep the length, it seems like it makes it a lot easier to do pretty styles, and I'm sure it will even out!

Maddy25
July 27th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Very cute I love the second to last one, half up folded bun...im wondering if your hair would be long enough to do a infant sized sockbun just like that half up, I bet it would work and look great....I dont have the link but if you search sock bun in the search you should be able to come up with some pics and tutorials or look on youtube...I love learning new styles as my hair gets longer

I LOVE sock buns (I've been practising buns for long hair on my mom. This may sound dumb but what do you use for the sock part, is it an actual sock or do I buy some sort of thing?

redneckprincess
July 27th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I LOVE sock buns (I've been practising buns for long hair on my mom. This may sound dumb but what do you use for the sock part, is it an actual sock or do I buy some sort of thing?
yep I used a sock, but Sally's has a sort of mesh like donught shaped thing that can be used also

florenonite
July 27th, 2009, 09:45 AM

I actually just knitted a tube that I roll up. I made sure that the circumference of the tube is the circumference of my ponytail, such that when I roll it up it fits tautly. This way I could pick a colour that wouldn't stand out too much in my hair.

You can just use a sock with the toe cut off; though if you're only doing a half-up it might end up too big.

redneckprincess
July 27th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I actually just knitted a tube that I roll up. I made sure that the circumference of the tube is the circumference of my ponytail, such that when I roll it up it fits tautly. This way I could pick a colour that wouldn't stand out too much in my hair.

You can just use a sock with the toe cut off; though if you're only doing a half-up it might end up too big.
thats why I suggested an infant sock might work well

Maddy25
July 27th, 2009, 10:55 AM

Thats a great Idea, I cant wait to try!

florenonite
July 27th, 2009, 01:42 PM

Ah, I didn't see that. That would probably work best for a half-up.

klcqtee
July 27th, 2009, 06:01 PM
My vote is not to trim. I don't think it's a weird style at all. It just seems like a modern bob that's grown a bit longer than usual.

Your hair is long enough to just put it up and forget about it.