PDA

View Full Version : Unevenness - chop off?

annuscka
July 26th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Yeah, basically. My hair has old (and bad) layers (never let a hair dresser in-training cut rather dry hair with a knife. Yikes, it split for years.) It's growing them out quite nicely - but very unevenly. The last inches are a lot thinner than the rest and look almost transparent. Me no likey.

I have been planning on a blunt cut straight across to get away from the U-shape, or at least almost, once the sides are at an acceptable length (means over a year, probably - if I did it now I'd end up back at APL/BSL, and I'd just rather not). But this has started to annoy me. (Or my mother's comments on it has started to annoy me, whichever.)

Basically - chop off several inches instead of a half or so, as my dear mum says ("it'll look so much thicker!" Well yes, but it.would.be.so.much.shorter!) Or wait it out and hope it evens out? Or will just the thin strands grow and the rest not, leaving it even more uneven? Might add that said ends aren't especially dry or damaged, just thin - few, really - and uneven.

Photographic evidence included - and I blame the light for making it look really dull and frizzy here, it isn't that bad usually;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/annuscka/IMG_3972.jpg

Another, with a bit more flattering lighting but I'm leaning a bit - which makes the unevenness even more prominent:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v44/annuscka/?action=view&current=IMG_3971.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/annuscka/IMG_3971.jpg

Hmm. Any thoughts?

spidermom
July 26th, 2009, 10:06 AM
If it were my hair, I'd get it trimmed at the very bottom by about 1-3 cm now, then do it again in about 2-3 months.

Vrushali
July 26th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Your hair looks rather dry to me. I would say SMT for a month or so (it really works and you should be able to see results really fast) and then maybe chop off an inch or so if it still bothers you. Your hair is a lovely color btw and lots of moisture will bring it out even more!!

PS: I see you are a newbie :)..just in case, SMT is Snowy's moisture treatment and you should be able to find the recipe in the article section. Goodluck!!

Aurea
July 26th, 2009, 10:10 AM
I'd say it depends on the hemline you're eventually aiming for. It sounds like, with your dislike of the thinness/transparency, you wouldn't be a big fan of "fairy tale ends" and would prefer something blunter; if that's the case, you should probably blunt it out now, as it likely won't get any easier. Your hair's natural unevenness will simply take over where the layers leave off, and you'll basically have to expect to take off a couple inches to blunt the hemline no matter how long you wait.

But if you actually want a softer/more natural hemline and it's just your mother's comments that are bothering you, by all means, keep your length! Layers transition into natural hemlines much more neatly and subtly than blunt ends do.

DarkChocolate
July 26th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I don't think your ends look bad. I would say that if you want to keep the length but don't like the ends so much you could put your hair in a braid or something so they don't look thin:) I am also struggling with my ends and that is what I do most of the time.

Carolyn
July 26th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I certainly don't see a need to cut a lot off. I'd say concentrate on getting your hair moisturized. SMT is a great way to do it. I'd start out trimming off 1-2" and see. When my ends get like yours a small trim does the trick. 2" can make a huge difference.

annuscka
July 26th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks - you guys are really fast! :)

I have quite dry hair, yep - it has gotten a lot better recently (the first photo looks horrible IMO, I refuse to think it's that bad still). Have done a two-conditioners+jojoba and apricot oil treatment once a week for about two months now - I believe I never did the SMT because I didn't have the ingredients, but I'll look at it again. Moisture is always good!

Your hair is a lovely color btw and lots of moisture will bring it out even more!!

Thanks! Typically, I'd like it darker, but...;) (My eyebrows are very dark and rather big, and they have never matched my hair as well as I'd like them to. No idea what the universe was thinking there, but I do like my hair colour for itself.)

And no, I'm not a big fan of fairy tale ends, have to admit... I will probably take a bit off now (I did in April, around 2 cm but I think most of it is back because it's a lot less even again). It's just the thought that is so very unappealing! ;) But rather pretty and a few inches less than uneven, probably. In the end...

Sissy
July 26th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I think people have given excellent advice here. Personally, I would just do a light dusting of the ends (a cm or so) and then in a month or so perhaps do the same again. Eventually, the ends will thicken up and even out more to what you like. One of the girls here called Emichiee did these sorts of mini-trims each month to improve her hair because she didn't want to lose length. Her hair is looking quite beautiful I must add. I too, am thinking of doing the monthly dusting as my ends tend to get that way also. I wonder if it's from my constand S&Ding. Also, like you, I would prefer my hair to be a darker colour! Sometimes, we just want what we don't have :) Good luck!

spidermom
July 26th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I recently got my thin ends trimmed back 1-1/2 inches (I think that's about 3 cm), and I can't even see a difference in length. Can you?
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/2009.jpghttp://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/2009trim.jpg
Before trim .................................................. ....After trim

I don't feel a difference, either, except that my ends are a lot less "grabby".

annuscka
July 26th, 2009, 10:54 AM
spidermom - no, can't say I do! :D It just looks very good ;)

I have a slight fear of hairdressers these days, but there is a new eco-friendly one that I would like to try out - I imagine she might be a bit more long-hair compassionate than most. And I felt really good about it - and definitely not short haired! - in April when I got 2 cm off, so why not!

spidermom
July 26th, 2009, 11:02 AM
spidermom - no, can't say I do! :D It just looks very good ;)

I have a slight fear of hairdressers these days, but there is a new eco-friendly one that I would like to try out - I imagine she might be a bit more long-hair compassionate than most. And I felt really good about it - and definitely not short haired! - in April when I got 2 cm off, so why not!

You also have the option of self-trimming. I believe we have an article with instructions (in the articles section). I tried it but was no good at it. I took my daughter with me the first time I saw my current hair stylist to help me make sure she didn't cut too much off. A previous hair stylist had classic-length hair, so I was sure she wasn't going to go scissor-happy on me. She's retired now.

thankyousir74
July 26th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I recently got my thin ends trimmed back 1-1/2 inches (I think that's about 3 cm), and I can't even see a difference in length. Can you?
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/2009.jpghttp://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/2009trim.jpg
Before trim .................................................. ....After trim

I don't feel a difference, either, except that my ends are a lot less "grabby".

Spidermom, Did you comb the after picture? I'm just curious for the reason behind the sudden change in waviness.

annuscka
July 26th, 2009, 11:10 AM
You also have the option of self-trimming.

I have been considering that rather seriously - I have what I believe to be good scissors now (they feel a lot sharper than my old ones, and I feel like I've had less S&Ding to do recently), and if I can't trust myself not to cut too much, then who? But it is a bit nervracking!

spidermom
July 26th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Spidermom, Did you comb the after picture? I'm just curious for the reason behind the sudden change in waviness.

It's because I had my hair braided earlier in the day before I went to the salon for my trim. It had been washed, deep conditioned, combed, and partially blow-dried for the after picture.

longhairedfairy
July 26th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I think I would give it very small trims and lots of moisture. You might consider "dusting" or S&D to help get rid of any damage that's higher up the length (where a trim will not reach).

Medievalmaniac
July 26th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I'd take off about 3/4 - 1" at the bottom to get an even hemmie - it won't get all of your hair to the same level, but it will get a lot of it there. I noticed last week that the longest of my layers was growing in lopsided and it bothered me so much that I got obsessed with it. But I didn't want to cut it because I didn't want to sacrifice length. Finally I got to the point where my obsessing over it's being uneven trumped any pleasure I was getting out of the length, because in my mind it was "fake length" because of the unevenness. I had my husband cut it even - about 3/4 inch off of one side and 1/4 inch off of the other at the bottom, and now I LOVE my hair!!!

So, if it is bothering you as much as it seems to be, I'd definitely say peace of mind will come with an even hemmie. :)

Nightshade
July 26th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Let me toss in my vote for a 1-2 inch trim and a lot of moisture :) Then give it a few months and evaluate again from there.

If you find you like self-trimming you could do more frequent micro-trims, which I had good luck with.

annuscka
July 26th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I'd take off about 3/4 - 1" at the bottom to get an even hemmie - it won't get all of your hair to the same level, but it will get a lot of it there. I noticed last week that the longest of my layers was growing in lopsided and it bothered me so much that I got obsessed with it. But I didn't want to cut it because I didn't want to sacrifice length. Finally I got to the point where my obsessing over it's being uneven trumped any pleasure I was getting out of the length, because in my mind it was "fake length" because of the unevenness. I had my husband cut it even - about 3/4 inch off of one side and 1/4 inch off of the other at the bottom, and now I LOVE my hair!!!

So, if it is bothering you as much as it seems to be, I'd definitely say peace of mind will come with an even hemmie. :)

That sounds about right! :D Once it got stuck in my head, I can't stop thinking about trimming - so I will, just for the peace of mind of everyone I live with... Have decided to go for something like 3 cm now. I had to measure it to make myself believe it's not that much ;)

I also had to take a new photo of it, in better lighting, to see that it doesn't look as coarse as the first pic. Because apparently the mirror isn't enough....:rolleyes: Lol! That is probably a sign of boredom...

Medievalmaniac
July 26th, 2009, 05:00 PM
let us know how it goes!

Nyghtingale
July 26th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Please post new pics when you get them.

heatherdazy
July 26th, 2009, 06:31 PM
If you don't want to lose length, why not just trim 1/2" every month? That way you'll maintain the length and it will gradually become more blunt at the bottom.

And did a stylist seriously cut your hair with a KNIFE? Like a kitchen knife? I have seen some crazy techniques, but have never heard of that one. Could it have been a razor? (also a poor choice for long hair, imho, but at least a real hair cutting tool...)

JamieLeigh
July 27th, 2009, 07:30 AM
#1: Don't let other people's comments bother you. It's your hair, your body, your choice. :flower:

#2: I think a small trim of less than an inch would make a world of difference in how your ends would look and feel. If you're not a fan of uneven, then you probably don't want to keep it growing as it is naturally. However, if you don't have a preference for the way your ends look, you can even it up a bit now, and let it grow naturally from there on out, and it might look thicker for a longer period of time before fairytaling again. :)

annuscka
July 27th, 2009, 08:58 AM
So, done :D (once I decided, it went fast!) Got about 2 cm off, and it does look a lot better (even dear mum approves - almost...;) ). Still some visible transparency in the last 5-10 cm but that's obvious, and now that the hemline is neater it doesn't bug me as much. Will continue to microtrim I think, just to avoid this every fourth month (did the same in April after all, and it looked like weed again in July.)

Ended up with a pretty good stylist - her son had the same length of hair and she was used to the "no more than 2 cm!" angst ;)

Pics, not awesome lighting again - this time too dark ;) But you can see the new hemline, at least.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/annuscka/IMG_4009.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/annuscka/IMG_4018.jpg

heatherdazy - razor, yes! Heh, language barrier made it seem worse than it was ;) But it wasn't very good anyway - my hair was too dry for it and the razor probably wasn't sharp enough. Given that it was layers, the splits up everywhere, too. Another stylist had to take off around 5-7cm a few months later because of the splits it had caused. Grr.