PDA

View Full Version : going no cone..running into a problem or 2

redneckprincess
July 26th, 2009, 09:47 AM
I have been using a shampoo/conditioner set that contains no cones (Im surprisingly loving it) and I have run into a huge (ok not so huge) problem... my DT contains CONES..not silicones but dimethicones (sp). should I still go ahead and use it or ditch it (save it for when/if I go back to cones) or just get something new? I plan to clarify before each use of the DT, and I use the DT about once every 7-10 days.

All my new hair is loving the no cones but the last 4-5 inches or so is still thirsting for the cones, Im using my oils and AVG and thats helping the ends so Im just not sure what I should be doing..

I was trying cone free shampoo with conditioner that contained cones, for a while....anyone ever try that or is it a big waist of time?

TIA:cheese:

spidermom
July 26th, 2009, 09:54 AM
My shampoo and conditioner contain no cones, but I'm sure that the deep treatment my hair stylist uses does. I also have a coney serum that I use from time to time (once per week or less) on the bottom 2/3 of my hair because it makes my hair less tangle-prone. Funny thing, though, if I use coney products more often, my hair becomes a tangled mess. Finding your own delicate balance of cone use/nonuse can be tricky.

myotislucifugus
July 26th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I'd avoid the cones for the length of time your on your no-cones experiment, just so you can really see the results of going cone free, but if you feel your hair needs it, it is your head.

teela1978
July 26th, 2009, 10:17 AM
My shampoo is cone-free and I use coney conditioner about 1/2 the time. That's really just because I'm cheap about shampoo and cheapo shampoo is generally cone-free though. Thus far it works well for me.

redneckprincess
July 26th, 2009, 01:06 PM
thank you all for your advice..though Im still uncertian about what to do...

Carolyn
July 26th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Why not buy something cone free and use it for a while and see what you think? You can go back to the coney one or alternate them.

Longlocks3
July 26th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Why not buy something cone free and use it for a while and see what you think? You can go back to the coney one or alternate them.

Thats a good idea! Why not try complete cone free for a bit and slowly add in more cones to find your balance of cone/no cones. I jumped in to no cones completely and never found the need to add them back in. My ends do get dry though. I just load on the coconut oil once a week, usually Sunday since I don't have to leave the house. Right now I'm sitting here with my hair(and scalp) drenched in coconut oil. It's not pretty but after a light shampoo and my normal CO, it'll be great.

pilateschick7
July 26th, 2009, 02:01 PM
My cone free deep treatment is LustraSilk SheaMango. I have found it at Sally's beauty supply, Kroger's grocery store and Fred's Dollar Store. It smells amazing and really moisturizes. I have used it as the conditioner base for SMT. It is $2.49 with a Sally's card for 20 oz.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

Elphie
July 26th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I was just looking at that product, pilateschick, funny you should mention it. Good to hear that you like it.

GlassEyes
July 26th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I'd try something cone-free and go with that for a while, but save it just in case you disliek it in the long term. It's worth going cone-free to see fi it works for you better, but it isn't a big deal if it's not possible. Cones aren't the devil.

Oh, and dimethicone is a silicone.

shortgoinglong
July 26th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I was cone free for 18 years as a child because my mom never liked the brands that had cones. My hair was always tangled and dull. Cones make my hair soft, shiny and smooth but my hair is super thick so I could be in the minority.

RavennaNight
July 26th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Me personally? I like a good cone. BUT I did go completely cone-free (in the heat of last summer and in the winter) to find out for myself. They aren't evil, but not everyone's hair likes them either. Mine happens to love them.

free_hug
July 26th, 2009, 04:21 PM
There are cone lovers, cone haters here, but it seems there are many many cone haters who can use cones sometimes, with good results. Sometimes = once in a week or two weeks. Now if you use your DT very slowly, say 2-4 times a month, you will definitely use it up sooner or later, and still keep your head mostly cone free, if that's the way you like. I think you better clarify sometimes... but the others might know more on that issue.