PDA

View Full Version : water question...

Medievalmaniac
July 26th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Hey, all -

I haven't gone to a hairstylist in about six months, but the last time I went, when she was washing my hair she was commenting on the buildup of minerals, etc. and said, "Do you use town water?" I replied "yes" and she shook her head and said something to the effect of the water in this area is bad for hair.

OK....great, but what can I do about it? We can't afford to buy water just for washing hair. Is there anything I can do about this short of moving or buying large quantities of water?

Elphie
July 26th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Perhaps a water filter for your shower head?

bahannas
July 26th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I suggest you invest in a water filter. :) They're easy to install and attach right to your shower head.

bahannas
July 26th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Whoops, Elphie beat me to it! :D

Medievalmaniac
July 26th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Where can you get a water filter for the shower - is that a Lowe's trip? Would Wal Mart have them? Are they sort of like the Brita filters for drinking water, in that you change them up every few months?

RancheroTheBee
July 26th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I'd really like to know, as well, actually. I can't find it at any home and hardware stores!

Raederle
July 26th, 2009, 09:31 AM
If you have mineral buildup on your hair, you'll need a chelating shampoo to get rid of it. Then, if you use a vinegar rinse after each time you get your hair wet, the vinegar will prevent the buildup returning.

I'm a fan of shower filters, too. Though I originally got on for my skin, I noticed an improvement in my hair, as well.

ETA: I bought my shower filter online. I don't shop WalMart, so I don't know if they carry them. I would think that Lowes would, though.

EtherealOde
July 26th, 2009, 09:33 AM
There is another option if you are willing to invest in it. I use a Big Berkey, because the water here is so strong smelling and tastes vile. After spending a minor fortune buying bottled water, I got my husband to buy us a Berkey and we can't imagine life without it now. The filters last an incredibly long time, so they actually are a value over time. Google the name and see if maybe this might be an option for you. You can drink the water too, not just use it for your hair. :)

The only thing is, you would have to put the water in buckets or a camp shower bag to wash with, since it isn't a whole house or in-line filter. It can't be any more difficult than collecting rain water for washing your hair though, and I've known people who do that.