PDA

View Full Version : my hair says "thank you!" could this really work?

Sarah4983
July 25th, 2009, 02:59 PM
After being a heavy cone user for years, my attempt at going coneless for 2 months was a huge failure. Apparently my hair is just one of those types that likes cones...

While going coneless I tried the deep conditioning treatments, coconut oil, damp bunning, c/o... even using cold water rather than warm to rinse my hair in the shower... and I don't think I had one good hair day the entire time. My hair felt thicker, but looked dull and abused... WHICH, ironically, I'm sure is from all the cones I'd been using throughout the years.

SO- tell me, please, if this is an option... I was thinking last night... how about using my john frieda brilliant brunette 'poo and conditioner and shine shock serum (it's a cone party! haha) only on the hair below my ears only? I will continue using my coneless nutri-ox on the roots, but cones on the length since that is the part of my hair that's already experienced years of cones anyway. Why not fake the shine, right?

Has anyone tried this cones on the length method and been successful??

I just washed and conditioned my hair this way about a half an hour ago, and already I can tell my hair has that shine back that it used to.

What do you all think??

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 25th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Hmm I've never tried it but if the length is damaged the cones will smooth them out a bit.. I guess you could give it a try and see how your hair likes it and report back.. I haven't seen anyone using half cones/half no cones but I am curious too! My ends like cones because I put off trims and I color treat so try it and report back! :)

Sarah4983
July 25th, 2009, 04:10 PM
hi!! thanks for the reply!

I color my hair also... from a box, which is a big no no I've been told... but I gotta do something about these grays haha.

I will update when my hair fully dries. Hopefully it dries shinier than it has been :)

florenonite
July 25th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I've done it before. My hair actually prefers no-'cone (as I've finally discovered :rolleyes:), but in the past I've used a 'coney condish with a 'cone-free 'poo. I never condition above the ears, so I was essentially 'cone-free above the ears, whilst using 'cones on the length.

teela1978
July 25th, 2009, 04:25 PM
After being a heavy cone user for years, my attempt at going coneless for 2 months was a huge failure. Apparently my hair is just one of those types that likes cones...

There is nothing wrong with cones. If your hair likes them use them. For some they are horrible, for some they are heaven. It sounds like they're not horrible for you. Use 'em!

While going coneless I tried the deep conditioning treatments, coconut oil, damp bunning, c/o... even using cold water rather than warm to rinse my hair in the shower... and I don't think I had one good hair day the entire time. My hair felt thicker, but looked dull and abused... WHICH, ironically, I'm sure is from all the cones I'd been using throughout the years.

See, I really doubt that cones cause that much damage for most people. I can imagine that for someone with a cuticle that tended to stand up, that cones could get stuck under there and allow for more mechanical damage to happen... but that would be on a person who didn't get much shine from using cones, it would be a person who got awful tangly hair from cones rather than sleek and shiny hair from cones. It sounds like your hair gets sleek and shiny from cones... so I would think that your damage is probably from dying rather than cones.

SO- tell me, please, if this is an option... I was thinking last night... how about using my john frieda brilliant brunette 'poo and conditioner and shine shock serum (it's a cone party! haha) only on the hair below my ears only? I will continue using my coneless nutri-ox on the roots, but cones on the length since that is the part of my hair that's already experienced years of cones anyway. Why not fake the shine, right?

Has anyone tried this cones on the length method and been successful??

I just washed and conditioned my hair this way about a half an hour ago, and already I can tell my hair has that shine back that it used to.

What do you all think??

I'm sure you can do this fine. I'd do any treatment (if you keep up with cone-free treatments) on all your hair though, I find that coconut oil helps my ends even after a coney conditioner.

I would reccomend making sure shampoo is only really hitting your scalp though, and you might want to try diluting it so it's not so harsh on your hair (should strip your dye less too).

Anyway, my main point is that cones can be fantastic. If they work, please use them without feeling bad. There really is no reason to feel guilty about them :)

theshadowpuppet
July 25th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I'm trying this out right now, actually. I was planning on using cones every other wash on the last 4 inches of my hair, since those are the ones with damage that seem to look worse without cones. I did get some coney condish on the rest of my hair too, but.. eh.. can't hurt that much. I guess I will clarify eventually, though I hate to do so.

bahannas
July 25th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I say go for it. :) The cones will keep the length nice and smooth while the non-coney stuff won't weigh down your roots. Volume + shine!

GlassEyes
July 25th, 2009, 08:31 PM
There's nothing wrong with using cones. If you like them, use them. XD;

lacereza
July 26th, 2009, 03:39 PM

Toadstool
July 28th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Cone-free doesn't work for me. My hair becomes dull, dry , rough and tangly.But with cones my hair is soft, glossy and shiny and I LOVE it!!:joy:
What's the problem with using them? In the articles section there's one which explains that it's not imperative that you go cone-free!:)

nowxisxforever
July 28th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I would reccomend making sure shampoo is only really hitting your scalp though, and you might want to try diluting it so it's not so harsh on your hair (should strip your dye less too).

I was going to mention this, but you beat me to it.

Only use the shampoo on your scalp-- no need for it to be on your length. Perhaps you would find that cone-free works better for you if you don't use shampoo on your length?

Madame J
July 28th, 2009, 11:21 AM
One more thing about 'cones: from what I know, they don't actively damage hair. Some people find they build up, causing hair to look stringy or greasy, while others find that they can seal out moisture, but they won't cause irreversible damage. They do cover up damage, so if your hair looks damaged without 'cones, it's going to stay damaged, even if you cover it up with 'cones. The 'cones may, however, help give you the slip you need to avoid causing more damage by combing rough, tangled hair.

aprilmay
July 28th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I only condition from the ears down and I use cones. I find my roots only get tangled at the nape of my neck and not on the top of my head. Cones are magical at detangling and I like the results.

Sarah4983
July 28th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I just love ya'll :p

Thank you so much for the replies!!

I thought that the cones seal out moisture, causing split ends and dry, fragile hair... but I guess from what I'm learning now, they don't!

Thanks again for the support! Rock on cones, rock on. :cheese:

Honey39
July 28th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Some people like cones a LOT, it's just individual preference!

Because I don't use shampoo, I find it easier to use cone-free conditioner so i don't get build-up on my hair which then has to be shampooed out. That's the main reason I don't use cones, because I'm a conditioner-only kind of gal, and cones don't really work for me.

But hey, if it's working, that's absolutely fine and dandy!

Darkhorse1
July 28th, 2009, 01:10 PM
John Frieda's shampoos only enhanced colored hair. If you read the fine print, it states it won't revive hair that isn't colored.

Try regular olive oil, which is what i've done to help enhance shine, and cool rinses, and I use cones. Cones get a bad wrap. The amount of this product people use, given the time it's on you hair, I doubt can damage it. I think harsher life styles--smoking, excessive amounts of alcohol consumption, poor diet, bleaching hair etc will do more damage than using a conditioner with cones. That's just my view. I think the info on cones were for people who were allergic to it, and for some people, it doesn't work.

I would like to wage a bet that if those who used other natural products stopped using them, their hair would look dull and dry as well. Catnip rinses, etc. Those just add a different kind of coating to the hair to create shine--no different than dimethecone, just a different way (natural) of doing the same thing. If those who used alternates to cones, stopped for 2 months, their hair would most likely appear dry too. Unless you color your hair. Then it will be shiney regardless. (henna too)