PDA

View Full Version : a wavy, tousled hair style

sedonia
July 25th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Since I had my camera out today I wanted to share a hair styling trick I really like. My hair is pretty straight if I comb/brush it, but has a little natural wave if I don't comb. I like styling it to make it a bit wavier than it is, and this method works really well for me.

I used "wrap, snap, and go" rag curlers purchased from Sally Beauty, and some styling product I had on hand (this one has cones but I've done this with cone-free styling products also):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1453&pictureid=45688

I wrapped my hair for spiral curls. I link the curlers together in pairs in order to get more lift at the roots. Also, I left the last 2" or so sticking out from the roller. I have found that for me, this is the trick that gives a more natural earthy look as opposed to a more coiffed "look I used hair curlers!" look. I left these in about half an hour, and used a blowdryer/diffuser on warm setting for about 5 min because I am feeling impatient today. Sometimes I put these up as soon as I get up, wear them while having coffee and getting dressed, and taking them down about an hour later.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1453&pictureid=45687

Here is the result after taking the curlers out and mussing it up a bit:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1453&pictureid=45689

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1453&pictureid=45690

jivete
July 25th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Looks cute. I thought about buying some of those but was worried the snaps might be hair eaters.

EtherealOde
July 25th, 2009, 01:13 PM
My goodness you're pretty. :) The hair looks great, I love it! I am going to look for those next time I'm at Sally's.

melrose1985
July 25th, 2009, 01:15 PM
OH MAN! this is the look i've been trying to get for forever!!! thanks for posting. Now can you explain a little more how you roll them so they don't give you a spiral look? i've seen those curlers and i thought they would give a super tight curl, which i dont want.

Also do you do this with dry hair that you have sprayed with the wave stuff?

By the way- fantastic hair color : )

sedonia
July 25th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Looks cute. I thought about buying some of those but was worried the snaps might be hair eaters.

I have not had a problem with the snaps. I do make sure my hair is free of the snaps before snapping.

OH MAN! this is the look i've been trying to get for forever!!! thanks for posting. Now can you explain a little more how you roll them so they don't give you a spiral look? i've seen those curlers and i thought they would give a super tight curl, which i dont want.

Also do you do this with dry hair that you have sprayed with the wave stuff?

Today my hair was dry and I spritzed each section with just a wee bit of the product. As in a partial spray near the roots and a partial spray near the ends, running my hands over the section to distribute it. If I'm going to do this during the week, I wash my hair at night, put styling product on it, let it dry naturally, and the next morning just use these curlers on the dry hair for an hour while I get ready.

If you do this with damp hair and leave until dry, yes, you will get very tight spiral curls. The secret to getting a tousled look rather than a 1980's spiral perm look is to have your hair dry or almost dry, use a short setting time, leave the ends sticking out, and then just finger comb after taking it down. My hair is in loose spirals before I muss it up.

By the way- fantastic hair color : ) Thanks! Its henna over light brown natural color.

My goodness you're pretty. :) The hair looks great, I love it! I am going to look for those next time I'm at Sally's.

Thank you!

lundmir
July 25th, 2009, 01:51 PM
You are gorgeous and it looks great. I'll be trying it for sure!

Maud
July 25th, 2009, 02:29 PM
that is so pretty! i'm going to try this with bendy rollers

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 25th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Wow! I also am drooling over your hair color!! and you remind me much of Marcia Cross (http://hotcelebrity.name/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/marcia_cross_3.jpg) in your bottom pic! :flowers:

Queenie
July 25th, 2009, 03:16 PM
You're gorgeous! Love the curls!

klcqtee
July 25th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I like that you left the ends out. It does make it look more natural. Absolutely gorgeous!

smilinjenn71
July 25th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Very pretty! Once my hair is longer I'll try this look. Thanks for the new style and instructions too!

cuddledumplin
July 25th, 2009, 07:50 PM
That's lovely, and so are you. I love your hair colour, by the way.

amaiaisabella
July 25th, 2009, 07:56 PM
So cute! I did a double-take at your age, you look about 21!

LisaB234
July 25th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Love it! What a pretty look. How does it hold up during the day? This might be just the ticket to wearing hair down without totally wetting it in the morning!

Sarah4983
July 25th, 2009, 08:33 PM
WOW! Leaving the ends out! What a GREAT idea! I just used these foam/rag curl things (same idea as what you used I think, but these have a wire inside the foam and cotton and you twist the ends after the hair is curled up in the roller) the other night and the curl did not hold for more than an hour...

I may have to look into this wave stuff so the curl will hold!

You're pretty!:cheese:

sedonia
July 25th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Thank you all for the comments! I hope this will be of help to others seeking this kind of look, with hair type similar to mine.

Love it! What a pretty look. How does it hold up during the day? This might be just the ticket to wearing hair down without totally wetting it in the morning!

I usually spritz with some hairspray after I've mussed it into shape. It does fall out, but if I don't mess with it too much or comb it it still looks better at the end of the day than if I hadn't styled it. Maybe mid day I'll dampen my hands just barely and scrunch it to freshen the 'do up. Part of the staying power depends upon what products you use on it.

Oh, and I'm in a very humid area, which makes my hair type fall out of styles faster.:(

Canarygirl
July 25th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Wow! I also am drooling over your hair color!! and you remind me much of Marcia Cross (http://hotcelebrity.name/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/marcia_cross_3.jpg) in your bottom pic! :flowers:

I agree...but I think you're prettier than Marcia Cross

hair looks great. I'm going to get some of these too

luckypenny
July 25th, 2009, 09:00 PM
aw man :( I still can't see any pics :( I'll keep on trying

melrose1985
July 25th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Today my hair was dry and I spritzed each section with just a wee bit of the product. As in a partial spray near the roots and a partial spray near the ends, running my hands over the section to distribute it. If I'm going to do this during the week, I wash my hair at night, put styling product on it, let it dry naturally, and the next morning just use these curlers on the dry hair for an hour while I get ready.

If you do this with damp hair and leave until dry, yes, you will get very tight spiral curls. The secret to getting a tousled look rather than a 1980's spiral perm look is to have your hair dry or almost dry, use a short setting time, leave the ends sticking out, and then just finger comb after taking it down. My hair is in loose spirals before I muss it up.

Thanks! Its henna over light brown natural color.

Also is it because you are taking large sections of hair, it doesnt look like you have that many in your hair. Is that part of it so you dont get the 80"s look? sorry to be such a pain but i already bought two roller kits ande hated them both. They were plastic rollers and my hair didnt dry well, even with blow drying them.

Flynn
July 25th, 2009, 09:06 PM
It looks really cute!

I'm actually rather shocked, though, that one can buy rag curlers... O.o Rag curlers by definition.... y'know.... it just seems strange to me.

zombi
July 25th, 2009, 09:10 PM
It looks gorgeous!! I might also try this when it gets longer :eyebrows: as a way to tame my hair's crazy. Thanks for posting!

sedonia
July 26th, 2009, 07:45 AM
It looks really cute!

I'm actually rather shocked, though, that one can buy rag curlers... O.o Rag curlers by definition.... y'know.... it just seems strange to me.

Well they are not just bits of rag; I just used that term for want of a better one. They are stuffed fabric tubes with snaps on the ends so they are easy to use.

redneckprincess
July 26th, 2009, 08:36 AM
very pretty, nice big curls ♥

Medievalmaniac
July 26th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Waaah! I want to see, but I can't get the picture to show! :( Anyone else having this problem?

My sister rag-wrapped my hair for my wedding and the curls were divine - but it HURT, I think she ripped half my hair out of my head. Are these more gentle?

sedonia
July 26th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Waaah! I want to see, but I can't get the picture to show! :( Anyone else having this problem?

My sister rag-wrapped my hair for my wedding and the curls were divine - but it HURT, I think she ripped half my hair out of my head. Are these more gentle?

Medevialmaniac, I think you have to have a minimum number of posts before you can see photos linked from people's LHC albums. If I remember right, it might be 25 so post something else!

I have not felt these curlers ripping or snapping hairs, and I have not noticed breakage or unusal shedding after using them. As I mentioned earlier, I do make sure I've pushed all the hair away from both sides of the snaps before snapping them.

Tressie
July 26th, 2009, 09:34 PM
You are lovely and thanks for sharing this tip! Your hair looks great!!

Maddy25
July 27th, 2009, 06:32 AM
So Pretty! Thats such a cute beach look or a really gorgeous going out look :) Looks great on you.

JamieLeigh
July 27th, 2009, 07:22 AM
That is so cute!!!! :D

heatherdazy
July 27th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Very lovely and natural looking wave! I'm always interested to see different ways to style without heat. Thanks!

camirra555
July 27th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I love it! You look great! I may have to try something like this because since using henna my curls have turned into waves and I miss them :(

mellie
July 27th, 2009, 01:06 PM
That's gorgeous and you are too!! :)

going gray
July 27th, 2009, 07:51 PM
You certainly are a very pretty lady with gorgeous hair.

islesgirl
July 28th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Can't wait to see your photos sedonia - I am new here so I have to get more posts in before they'll let me peek!

tina1025
July 31st, 2009, 07:23 PM
OMG your hair looks awesome. I may have to go and buy them.

LisaJaney
July 31st, 2009, 08:36 PM
I love it! And the others are right: you're very pretty. You have a naturally kind look about you that makes one think, "I bet she's a nice person"

HeatherLarsen
July 31st, 2009, 11:28 PM
Wow that looks beautiful. Very playful and flirty! Lovely shade of red as well.