PDA

View Full Version : 1c/2a appreciation

florenonite
July 25th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Being on the cusp of straight and wavy, I sometimes loathe my hairtype. It's not sleek like 1a or 1b, but its "waves" are pretty laughable in comparison to "real" wavies or curlies. Recently, though, I've begun to appreciate my hairtype more. Because it's ever so slightly wavy, it seems to hold artificially-created waves much better than true straighties, whom I've heard often have issues with braid waves coming out. However, because it's still mostly straight, if I indulge myself and flatiron for a special occasion, it stays straight more easily than curly hair because it's so close to straight already.

I've realised that I can replicate many different hairtypes just by manipulating my hair as it dries. Want straight hair? Comb it repeatedly. What if I'm after something in the realm of 2a hair? Bun waves! 2b/c? Braid waves. And if I want curly, rope braids give something resembling 3a, whilst pin curls are somewhere around 3a/3b.

This thread's here for those of you who feel like you're not really a straightie but not really a wavy, either. We can share what we love about our hairtype and how we achieve different degrees of curliness with it :)

amaiaisabella
July 25th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I swear, I sat straight up when I saw this thread. There are definitely a lot of us on this board, but it doesn't seem like we can all get together and talk about it!

With cones, or combing my hair when wet, I can get super straight hair with just a bit of curling inwards towards the ends. If I don't comb, I can get some pretty waves if I use a bit of paste or a specific shampoo. In my case, though, I find my waves falling out a day or so later, and reappearing when my hair is very dirty. Anyone else experience something similar?

harpyangel
July 25th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I'm definitely in this catagory...My hair has soft waves if I just leave it natural. But I like to straighten it for a (very) special occasion :)

Braid waves I love.

Harpyangel x

florenonite
July 25th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I swear, I sat straight up when I saw this thread. There are definitely a lot of us on this board, but it doesn't seem like we can all get together and talk about it!

With cones, or combing my hair when wet, I can get super straight hair with just a bit of curling inwards towards the ends. If I don't comb, I can get some pretty waves if I use a bit of paste or a specific shampoo. In my case, though, I find my waves falling out a day or so later, and reappearing when my hair is very dirty. Anyone else experience something similar?

In my case, it's not all-over waves, but my weird temple ringlets. Those appear when I wash my hair and then when it needs washed or if I've been exercising (I think it's from the sweat).

janiejones
July 25th, 2009, 12:40 PM
This hair type is definitely versatile....some days I'll have fairly straight-ish hair, or nice uniform wavy-ness, or just irritatingly pouffy "big hair"...oh well!

amaiaisabella
July 25th, 2009, 12:45 PM
In my case, it's not all-over waves, but my weird temple ringlets. Those appear when I wash my hair and then when it needs washed or if I've been exercising (I think it's from the sweat).

See, I only get waves from the ears down. I never get waves near the scalp. I think it's because I comb out my part to cover the cowlick near the back of my head, but I read a trick in a beauty magazine for overnight waves. Supposedly you put styling cream (or for me, leave-in) in wet hair, put it in a tight bun at the nape of the neck, and leave overnight to dry. I'm going to see if that will give me more defined waves then just the few twirls I get every now and then :p

Aeon F.
July 25th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Oh, I'm sooo in this category!! It's frustrating because I've always wanted long curly bouncy type waves.... you're right, it probably is that 1c/2a can be considered versatile, but I've found that it's often hard for my hair to "hold" to bun & braid curls.. they seem to want to fall out quickly and revert back to what I call my "natural state of undetermined scraggliness". LOL

Peter
July 25th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Oh, hello there. :D

I usually wear combed-out braid waves. I can't stand not combing my hair, and while it does stretch out the waves a bit, I like it better that way anyway.

florenonite
July 25th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Oh, I'm sooo in this category!! It's frustrating because I've always wanted long curly bouncy type waves.... you're right, it probably is that 1c/2a can be considered versatile, but I've found that it's often hard for my hair to "hold" to bun & braid curls.. they seem to want to fall out quickly and revert back to what I call my "natural state of undetermined scraggliness". LOL

Have you tried doing them on damp hair with a bit of (alcohol-free) mousse or gel? Aloe vera gel works really well, for instance. Bun and braid waves don't necessarily hold on my hair if I do them when it's dry, but if it's damp they can work beautifully.

amaiaisabella
July 25th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Aeon F., I feel your pain! My hair gets straggly so quickly! :( I've got to start keeping a comb in my purse for when I feel like wearing it down.

Aeon F.
July 25th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I think I found that plopping would be one of my best bets to get some nice curls and I have had some luck in the past with foam curlers left on overnight.

With plopping, I'm still looking for the perfect leave-in/scruncher though. Something that will give me hold and not have the waves & curls fall out during the day, but also something that doesn't make my hair feel all dry and crunchy.

Aeon F.
July 25th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Have you tried doing them on damp hair with a bit of (alcohol-free) mousse or gel? Aloe vera gel works really well, for instance. Bun and braid waves don't necessarily hold on my hair if I do them when it's dry, but if it's damp they can work beautifully.

Oh yeah, it's def. damp-to sopping wet when I try (my hair does nothing when it's bone dry!! LOL). I'm still looking for the perfect mousse or gel... haven't tried just plain aloe vera gel by itself though- only in kimberlily's recipe for a defrizz/leave-in homemade spray.

teela1978
July 25th, 2009, 01:10 PM
In my case, it's not all-over waves, but my weird temple ringlets. Those appear when I wash my hair and then when it needs washed or if I've been exercising (I think it's from the sweat).I get those. And the little nape curls. The temple ones have the problem of looking like horns if they're not long enough/not curling enough. Kind of annoying.

I love nape curls when I get them, but I usually wash my hair pretty quick after exercise so they don't stick around too long :(

Aeon F.
July 25th, 2009, 01:14 PM
See, I only get waves from the ears down. I never get waves near the scalp. I think it's because I comb out my part to cover the cowlick near the back of my head, but I read a trick in a beauty magazine for overnight waves. Supposedly you put styling cream (or for me, leave-in) in wet hair, put it in a tight bun at the nape of the neck, and leave overnight to dry. I'm going to see if that will give me more defined waves then just the few twirls I get every now and then :p

Amaiaisabella, I'm the same way- I only get waves from the ears down too! I think I may try making little tiny buns all over my head- when I've tried with one single low bun, all it ends up doing to me is straightening everything all over, except the part in the bun.

florenonite
July 25th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Oh yeah, it's def. damp-to sopping wet when I try (my hair does nothing when it's bone dry!! LOL). I'm still looking for the perfect mousse or gel... haven't tried just plain aloe vera gel by itself though- only in kimberlily's recipe for a defrizz/leave-in homemade spray.

Oh, don't do it when it's wet! I mean, you can, but you need to make sure it's totally dry before you take it out, so that might be your problem. If it's still even slightly damp when you take your hair out of the bun/braid, the waves probably won't hold. I find it works best if I let my hair dry for an hour or two, bun/braid it, go to bed and then when I get up in the morning it's dry and curly ^.^

I get those. And the little nape curls. The temple ones have the problem of looking like horns if they're not long enough/not curling enough. Kind of annoying.

I love nape curls when I get them, but I usually wash my hair pretty quick after exercise so they don't stick around too long :(

Ah, yes, the horns. I do quite like them when they curl properly, though; they look almost deliberate :D

Carolyn
July 25th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I've always wished my hair was straighter or wavier. It's an effort to make it go either way. Straight hair is my big love so I've always wanted to be a 1a/b. I'm lucky that I can get it but combing and BBB'ing when it's almost dry. Another nice thing is that I've never had frizz from humidity. As a teenager I set my hair and slept on rollers nightly. My hairdo would "flop" with the least bit of humidity. I'll never forget the perm my mom forced on me the first week of 9th grade. No my hair didn't flop anymore but it frizzed up to a blonde afro :scared: If I want a bit of a wave I can do bun waves and they hold fairly well. I don't like braid waves and I wish they would fall out with some brushing but I can't get that to happen without wetting my hair. If I do that I might as well wash it. 1c seems like such an in between hair type.

AJoifulNoise
July 25th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Another 1C/2A representing! I've tried everything to force my hair to decide between straight and wavy. Now I'm trying to embrace it. Some days, anyway. I usually either sport bun waves or straight (slightly fuzzy) hair.

I've often felt like the odd one out. I feel the urge to participate in wavy threads, but I'm not really wavy. Yet, I feel I have too much wave to get in on the straight threads. Bah!

It's nice to have a home!

:cheese:

florenonite
July 25th, 2009, 01:37 PM

I prefer bunning it on top of my head for bed. I've been doing that recently as I'm not fond of the way my braid waves look (two French braids is nice, but for bed I usually just do one English braid and don't like the way those waves look), so for bed instead I just coil it into a bun atop my head. I need to get some scrunchies, as I've just been doing it without securing it and sometimes it comes out. The reasons I like doing it atop my head is twofold: it doesn't get in the way when I sleep, as one at the nape would, and it means that my canopy gets the waves, rather than them starting at my nape.

I'm starting to feel like this hair type looks good either above SL or below BSL. I find in between those two lengths, at least on me, there's enough wave that it's not straight, but not enough wave to be anything near consistent. Bun and braid waves didn't look good on me until recently, either. This is particularly true of bun waves, perhaps because my hair's so thick. Now bun waves look quite nice, and the natural waves are a bit more uniform rather than the half-hearted ones I had half a foot ago.

Addy
July 25th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Yay! A thread for me! :D

I have 2a hair type and my most defined wave is right at the back of my head! The sides also wave a bit but I lose it as the day goes on!

I find that when I comb my hair after CO'ing, it does dry straighter with a very slight wave. I like to just wash and wear for more waves and not comb til the day is pretty much over.

I haven't been successful with bun waves. My hair seems to get a ripple at my head and go straight towards the end and do a flippy do.

I am going to go look for a pic of my hair.
This pic was a fresh poo without combing in May 09.
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7965/51109upclose.jpg (http://img403.imageshack.us/i/51109upclose.jpg/)

I believe this one is CO after combing in July 09.
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/116/71009lengthshotcamotank.jpg (http://img403.imageshack.us/i/71009lengthshotcamotank.jpg/)

I believe the one in my sig is poo/no combing too.

It sure is nice to see this thread! :) I do have to say though that when I was little, my hair was poker straight and then all of a sudden, I have these waves. I like them though.

florenonite
July 25th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Yay! A thread for me! :D

I have 2a hair type and my most defined wave is right at the back of my head! The sides also wave a bit but I lose it as the day goes on!

My hair's the opposite. If I plop it or do nothing as it dries, I get 2a waves on the sides, but the back's pin-straight, which I think looks daft.

I haven't been successful with bun waves. My hair seems to get a ripple at my head and go straight towards the end and do a flippy do.

I couldn't do bun waves at your length, either, because I got the same result. Now that my hair's longer, I get quite nice bun waves; I'll have to take a picture to show you what I mean. I think your hair's lovely natural, though!

I do have to say though that when I was little, my hair was poker straight and then all of a sudden, I have these waves. I like them though.

I was the same. I started getting temple ringlets when I was fifteen or so, and a wee bit later when my hair grew a bit I got all-over stretched out waves.

redneckprincess
July 25th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I dont have the same hair type ( I have 2a/2b...i think...for the timebeing...) but my hair is the same way when I put my curlers in the curls (with NO product) stay very well and if I feel like straightning that style stays well. My husband and I were just talking about that yesterday...

Carolyn
July 25th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I couldn't do bun waves at your length, either, because I got the same result. Now that my hair's longer, I get quite nice bun waves;
Same for me. When I got near waist length, bun waves started being a pretty thing and not just hair going in weird directions. I'd read about bun waves and thought these people were crazy. Then all of a sudden, one day I took a bun down and I had these glorious smooth waves appear. Now I can almost always count on bun waves being nice.

klcqtee
July 25th, 2009, 05:22 PM
My hair, when short (Shoulder length on up) is a 1c/2a. My hair shoulder down continues to evolve until it reaches it's curliest state 2c.

I must say, 1c/2a is the easiest to deal with. OP was correct in mentioned it could be manipulated to be curly or straight. My favourite thing to do when my hair is short is to while wet, wrap strands around my finger, then pin the loop to my scalp with a hair pin or a small clip. I just sleep on it over night!

I took them out in the morning and I had Shirley Temple curls that required no hairspray at all! I could sleep on them and everything! These curls looked beautiful for up to 4 days (3 nights of sleeping on)! This is perfect for us on here, since we are used to going a time between washes.

Sorry this is a long post, but I wanted to express my love for 1c/2a!

Elphie
July 25th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I believe I belong here as well. I, too, had poker straight hair as a child, as an adult, the waves have become more pronounced. I rather like being 2a. Straight hair, like my avatar is pretty easy to achieve and I can enhance the waves with very little effort.

amaiaisabella
July 25th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I'm starting to feel like this hair type looks good either above SL or below BSL. I find in between those two lengths, at least on me, there's enough wave that it's not straight, but not enough wave to be anything near consistent. Bun and braid waves didn't look good on me until recently, either. This is particularly true of bun waves, perhaps because my hair's so thick. Now bun waves look quite nice, and the natural waves are a bit more uniform rather than the half-hearted ones I had half a foot ago.

That's EXACTLY it for me. When I have chin-length hair (my favorite length), I have wonderful whirls and twirls. Beyond that, my hair lies flat and straight, not a wave to be found. Now that I've hit APL, I'm starting to gain them again, but my goal is BSL, so we'll see if they keep getting more pronounced. I figure if I don't like long hair, I know short hair works for me, but I think I'll keep it growing at least a few years while I'm in school, just to see how it is long. I haven't had it long since I was 16, and even then it was BSL.

zombi
July 25th, 2009, 09:16 PM
yeah, I have to say this is true for me. Shorter than shoulder and get great wave, but right now I'm sitting at full shoulder length or a tad bit longer, and I can't do ANYTHING with this mess! I remember last time I had it waist length and I could get great waves out of it both naturally & with styling. Right now it seems like my hair is all, "no way!".

Nightshade
July 26th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Do I get to play in here, or since I got some wavy back from Sun-In-ing some of my henna out do I need to change my hairtype?

janiejones
July 26th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I believe I belong here as well. I, too, had poker straight hair as a child, as an adult, the waves have become more pronounced. I rather like being 2a. Straight hair, like my avatar is pretty easy to achieve and I can enhance the waves with very little effort.

My waviness has changed similarly as well, I wonder why. The versatility is something I enjoy as well, and your avatar picture looks awesome by the way! Very sleek and pretty.

teela1978
July 26th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Do I get to play in here, or since I got some wavy back from Sun-In-ing some of my henna out do I need to change my hairtype?

lol. I was just thinking the other day, while cringing over the insane number of silvers coming in near my temples, that if I start dying again at least I'll get some more wave :) Haven't decided that I hate grey more than I hate dying yet though.

Nightshade
July 26th, 2009, 12:43 AM
lol. I was just thinking the other day, while cringing over the insane number of silvers coming in near my temples, that if I start dying again at least I'll get some more wave :) Haven't decided that I hate grey more than I hate dying yet though.

You know, I bet you could mask some of those grays with a dilute cassia/henna blend :eyebrows:

Laylah
July 26th, 2009, 12:44 AM
My hair's texture is very weird- the top layer is 1c/2a, the bottom layer is 3a and there are a few pieces in between that are wavy at the top and form ringlets at the ends.

inertia
July 26th, 2009, 12:47 AM
I think this is my hair type. I've got the temple waves, back-of-head wave, and on really hot humid days I get the nape ringlets too.

It's super-versatile for styling. I've done just about every texture there is. No matter what's in fashion, my hair can do it with a little bit of effort.

However, I often feel uncomfortable wearing it natural. It frizzes really easily and I feel like frizz on straight hair makes people think my hair is more damaged than it actually is. I've been getting much less frizz since I switched to no-SLS/no-cone; unfortunately, my hair also doesn't seem to hold curl as well since the switch. The only thing I truly like about my hair type is the styling versatility so if this continues to be the case I'll probably end up keeping SLS/cone products around for better results on curly days.

zombi
July 26th, 2009, 05:58 AM
i GUESS you can play........ :demon:

:D

LutraLutra
July 26th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Another 1c/2a checking in! :D My wave/non wave seems to change on a daily basis, and some parts of my hair are much more wurlie than others. I'm waitng with interrest to see how much curl pattern develops as my hair gets longer.

Brownie
July 26th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I belong here as well :D

My hair's texture is very weird- the top layer is 1c/2a, the bottom layer is 3a and there are a few pieces in between that are wavy at the top and form ringlets at the ends.

My hair's the opposite. If I plop it or do nothing as it dries, I get 2a waves on the sides, but the back's pin-straight, which I think looks daft.

My top layer is 1c/2a as well, the sides are wavier than the back is. The hairs are mostly medium and some fine hairs. But my bottom layer... The hairs are really coarse, darker, some are curly, some are straight and a lot of hairs look like a sinus curve :laugh:

Sometimes I wish my hair was really smooth, soft and shiny. My hair is thick and medium to coarse, it always looks a bit messy and rough. And it's frizzy!
I want either curls or silky, sleek tresses :o When my hair was much shorter it was pretty wavy (2b maybe), but now some parts are slightly wavy, others are straighter. But like I mentioned above, it's never the 1a sleekness, it's always pretty voluminous and feels a bit dry.

Nightshade
July 26th, 2009, 10:32 AM
i GUESS you can play........ :demon:

:D

WOOO! I has a home! :cheese:

amaiaisabella
July 26th, 2009, 10:58 AM
WOOO! I has a home! :cheese:

Welcome home ;) We should form a group! Florenonite should get the honors.

rhubarbarin
July 26th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I don't have this hair but I appreciate it! I love gentle waves. And there's a lot to be said about having options! With wurly/curly or very straight hair, it can take a lot of work to try to make it do something different.

pixiedoo
July 26th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Yay........My fuzzy hair and me belong here :)

Up until recently I spent all my time trying to make my hair something it is not. I either straightened it to death or curled it depending on what mood I was in. Both involved far too many damaging heated nasties!!

About 6 months ago I gave up blowfrying, straightening and curling and attempted to embrace my fuzzy, wuzzy, not straight but not curly hair. It still has days where it sticks out at all angles and drives me mad. However since I went cone-free and really started to give my hair some much needed TLC, it is looking a lot better and now forms in more uniform waves (most of the time) and not just an uncontrolable frizz!!

I have been using chemical dye for years to cover my grey but am about to do my first henna/indigo application so I am looking forward to seeing what effect that has on my hair :)

I have given up on wishing it was different and I am actually starting to like it :)

Thanks for this post..........it's nice to know my hair belongs somewhere!!

florenonite
July 26th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Welcome home ;) We should form a group! Florenonite should get the honors.

*goes off to do just that*

ETA: Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/group.php?groupid=191) it is!

vamq
July 26th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I think I have the 1c/2a hairtype, but my hair is still getting more waves, so I'm not sure...

I really like it actually. I never liked my straight hair anyway, and when I gave up blowdrying and started using other shampoo's, my hair became more wavy.
It's like a reward for treating my hair better :D

amaiaisabella
July 26th, 2009, 02:20 PM
*goes off to do just that*

ETA: Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/group.php?groupid=191) it is!

You are quick! Joined and uploaded a photo :D

Aeon F.
July 26th, 2009, 02:38 PM
What a great idea florenonite! I just joined too.

Now today was a wash day for me- after soaking my hair in coconut oil last night, I did my usual CO w/ V05 extra body- and now I'm going to try and get some nice curly waves by plopping while I putter around the apt cleaning and organizing ( *shudder* cleaning, ack!)

I've been testing out Living Proof's no frizz stuff (the one by MIT scientists) while I really don't have frizz anymore (yea better hair routines!), I am intrigued by Living Proof's claim their stuff repels dirt & whatnot so you can go longer in between washes. So I've got this on my hair now:
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P231305&categoryId=C20510

and for curliness- I've got my old standby of Charles Worthington Big Sexy waves gel scrunched on my ends.

I used the no frizz stuff last week for the first time & I think I actually did go longer between washes- I certainly didn't need to use any hair powders/dry shampoos to cover up any oiliness. But I haven't tried the no frizz combined w/ a curl gel yet. So we'll see...

Ok, off to clean now- :disgust: yuck!

jel
July 26th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Checking in! :D

My hair texture ranges from 1b to 2b, depending on the water hardness and whether I use coney conditioners. It also becomes progressively wavier the dirtier it gets. That's when I get the temple ringlets!

I am quite happy with this texture, though, in an ideal world, I'd like more pronounced waves. One weird thing I've noticed - using product (gel, AVG, curl cream) makes my hair *straighter*, not wavier... :shrug:

Maddy25
July 26th, 2009, 02:58 PM
My hair is in this category and always waves differently on each side of my head! It drives me nuts, one side curls in while the other side curls out. Im hoping when it gets longer without layers it will be more uniform -_-

Elphie
July 26th, 2009, 03:05 PM
using product (gel, AVG, curl cream) makes my hair *straighter*, not wavier

You're not alone with that. I've noticed that my whole life. One of the main reasons I never use any leave-in product because the extra weight weighs my hair down.

melikai
August 21st, 2009, 12:15 AM
Hrm, yes, I belong here too. I didn't even know I had wavy hair until I didn't comb it after washing one time, and my boyfriend took a picture of my hair to show me. Madness! That picture is the one currently in my sig. I took one showing the difference from combing, which is in one of my albums if anyone cares to look.
I'm quite excited to have such hair, but I find it very unpredictable. Next I'm going to try the damp bunning technique, as well as using some aloe vera gel in it, to see if that increases the waves and makes them tidier. It can look awfully frizzy if I just leave it untouched to air dry. :?

Feye
August 21st, 2009, 01:38 AM
I have this hair type too, although I only call myself 1c.
The good thing about my hair is that it's fluffy and big, therefore it looks thicker than it really is.

Sammybunny711
August 21st, 2009, 06:24 AM
I'm in this category as well. It was funny, I had my hair short for five years before I began my LHC growing attempts and when I stopped heat styling and just combing...my hair was SO much more wavy than before, but definitely not the tight waves of 2b and beyond. What a fun thread for those of us who are 1c/2a!

Irishred
August 21st, 2009, 06:52 AM
Stands up and joins in.

There are times I wish I had a different hair type. For me, curls are VERY difficult to keep in my hair though my hair takes the initial curl well. I can get descent braid waves however, since I sleep in a braid, it gets frizzy over several days. At shorter lengths I got good bun waves but length tends to dampen that. (LOL - damp buns don't dry). When I was a kids my mom tried to perm my hair and what would last 2 months plus on most people's hair, lasted about 2 weeks on my hair.

At the same time, I do not have straight hair. I can make it nearly straight blowing it dry or going to a professional long hair salon and having it rolled on the super big rollers. But just combed and air dried I still have a wave and some strands with quite a curl. Humidity reeks havoc with friz, however it makes the baby edge hairs spiral (same when I shower without washing my hair and it is up but my hair isn't 'done' then and they get combed out easily).

I wear my hair up or braided so much, I don't always notice how my hair looks when down. It can look scraggly if not combed often enough because the curls just separate everything enough to make it look, well... like it needs to be combed.

Oh well, it is my hair and that's the way it is.

smilinjenn71
August 21st, 2009, 07:14 AM
Currently I would classify myself as 1c, so I'm hopping in too.

That might change as my hair gets longer. It's shoulder length right now, so it's difficult to truly type. I do have S waves at the temples and my layered ends flip out, sometimes uncontrollably! Grrrr

I'll be following this thread with great interest!:D

florenonite
August 21st, 2009, 09:10 AM
I wear my hair up or braided so much, I don't always notice how my hair looks when down. It can look scraggly if not combed often enough because the curls just separate everything enough to make it look, well... like it needs to be combed.

My hair does this, too. I don't like combing it when it's still wet, but I also can't put it up if the scalp hair's not dry because my scalp gets horrendously itchy. Hence, I finger-comb it and leave it down for a few hours when I wash it, but then it looks like it needs combed because, like you said, the curls separate it just enough to make it look like it needs combed.

SheaLynne
August 21st, 2009, 01:35 PM
Hello! I'm in this category, too! I fought my natural hair for *decades* (wow, that sounds horrible), starting with my mom perming my hair as young as 2nd grade. I grew up thinking I *had* to have perms, but gave them up when I liked length over perms and didn't want to have to keep cutting old perms out.

Then I spent 10 years not knowing how to get straight hair--because, of course, it MUST be *curly* or *straight*--never in-between LOL

Now I have almost waist length, natural hair, and it makes lovely bun waves. I don't care for braid waves in it, though I may learn how to help them look better if I keep reading here <grin>.

Contented sigh. It feels so good to be at home with your hair. :)

Amara
August 21st, 2009, 03:19 PM
Yay! A thread for meeeee!!!

I do like being able to go straighter or wavier, although I don't really like not being REALLY straight or REALLY wavy, ever (my hair just reverts so quickly, especially now that it's longer).

paper
August 23rd, 2009, 05:33 AM
This is me too!!!

If I don't touch it much, I can get some nice waves. Then when I comb it, it's straight. I wish my hair was either straight or wavy! :rolleyes: Drives me nuts sometimes!

amaiaisabella
August 23rd, 2009, 10:32 AM
Lately I've been able to twist my wet/damp hair into a low bun at the back of my head and leave it- the wetter it is, the more it stays. I find this helps with the puffiness of the waves towards the bottom of my hair, as I don't have waves near the top, anyway.

NurseMama
August 23rd, 2009, 12:13 PM
I love this thread! Today I am wearing my hair wavy after damp bunning it on top of my head overnight. I love the fact that if I decide to curl it (with hot rollers or sponge) that my hair will hold the curl for days. I HATE that my canopy curls so much more than the underlayer, but there is nothing that I can do about that. I haven't had much success with plopping though...

Naava
August 23rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
Seems like a place for me too :)

Sometimes it annoys me that my hair doesn't look as silky as the more straight hair does, but I love it that the slight wavyness gives my hair more body and makes it look thicker than it really is :)

chloeishere
August 23rd, 2009, 01:54 PM
I definitely feel that I belong here!

I have to agree with the "above shoulder/ at or below BSL" looking good for this hair type. I always kept my hair above shoulder for years and years, because once it hits the shoulders... it starts getting really funky looking. I'd say it started looking actually good again once I got within a few inches of BSL. I'm right at (or very slightly below) true BSL now, I'm trying to air dry without touching today to take a picture, since I haven't taken one in a very, very long time. And I've never had a good "no touching" picture. But I have plans at 6, so it all depends if my hair has dried by then. If not, who knows when I'll be able to do it again.

Bun waves looked so gross when my hair was shorter, but now I think they look really good! Which is terrific, because my hair lives in buns most of the time, until I take it down in the evenings.

Amoretti
August 23rd, 2009, 02:09 PM
Me, me! :lol:

I'm so in this group!

SheaLynne
August 24th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Me, me! :lol:

I'm so in this group!

Amoretti, your hair is gorgeous! That is the same wave I got in mine after oiling and COing and letting it dry natural last night...that gives me hope that my hair might look as nice as yours as it gets longer! :D

Amoretti
August 24th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Thank you so much, SheaLynne! :flowers:

I just joined the social group. LOL.

Anje
September 17th, 2009, 03:48 PM
You know, we need to bump this thread the way all those straight and wurly threads are going. There are a lot of us semi-wavy/semi-straight folks around, and there's some absolutely gorgeous hair in this category.

Tangletizzy
September 17th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Woo! I'm joining in!

Which is somewhat weird for me, because I always thought of myself as having pretty straight hair. I knew it had some large-ish wave to it, but holy goodness gracious, I took a picture yesterday, and look! (http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j8/irkallia/hair.jpg) I honestly had no idea it was -that- wavy. I always see it in a ponytail over my shoulder or in a braid over my shoulder . . .

Anyway, I'm also joining in with those who have the baby curls around the temples/nape/face. Sometimes they annoy me to no end. Also annoying is the fact that each individual hair curls into a fairly tight ringlet at the tip, but is straight/waved for the rest of its length. So new hairs that grow out on the top of my head are spirally springs, and all my split ends peek out from the main mass of hair because of their curl. :(

Ah well. It's not too bad. Does anybody else get super-fine uber-spirals, though? I only find these when my hair is wet - really really tiny hairs (no longer than 4"), with corkscrew spirals! o.O Totally weird! . . .

marikamt
September 17th, 2009, 10:42 PM
My siggy pic is prior to "finding" my waves..... more moisture, no blow drying/ combing= more waves for me..... and as a formerly "straight" girl, I am ridiculously proud of my new waves :D ... I may have to switch out my siggy pic w/ one from my album....

Leoneska
September 18th, 2009, 01:25 AM
I'm joining in! Now that I'm off cones I realized that my hair is pretty wavy instead of buttstraight (-:

Tangletizzy
September 18th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Leoneska - you mean cones make your hair straighter than it "really" is? That's worrying indeed. Perhaps if I tried going without cones, I'd turn into a curly! Identity crisis, yikes! ;)

Leoneska
September 18th, 2009, 02:30 AM
I'd say so @ tangletizzy. I used L'oréal Smooth Intense before I switched to Alverde and herbs.

florenonite
September 18th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Leoneska - you mean cones make your hair straighter than it "really" is? That's worrying indeed. Perhaps if I tried going without cones, I'd turn into a curly! Identity crisis, yikes! ;)

They can do that, aye. There have been quite a few members here who report such an occurrence. Didn't help me, unfortunately; with both 'cones and no 'cones my hair's the same slightly-straight-slightly-wavy-thing.

melikai
September 18th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I didn't even know I had waves until I stopped using 'cones. For me, they definitely weighed down and straightened my hair - can't stand them.

Nenwing
September 18th, 2009, 11:09 AM
My hair is this type, and to be honest it is part of the reason I had it cut so short, because I just didn't like how it was. I agree that it does seem to do best above shoulders, or longer like BSL. I am not 100% sure, but I am thinking of growing it out again which will be quite a haul since it is like 1" at the back!

smilinjenn71
September 20th, 2009, 12:53 PM
OK, I know my hair is still really short but how would you type me? My hope is that someone on this board had hair like mine when it was short....LOL!!!

I do have some S waves at both temples. This pic is W/C and air dryed. Currently I type myself at 1b/1c. Gotta say I'm guessing on that though!:p Don't worry about offending me, I'm looking for some direction and help here! Thanks in advance!:flower:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii164/smilinjenn71/Hair/hairanniv1yr002.jpg?t=1253472680

Elvi
September 20th, 2009, 01:32 PM
sliminjenn71: My hair was like yours or less wavy when it was of that length. I had that hair length and a little longer for many years when I was younger. I used to let the ends bend upwards by themselves, and that was a good style at that time.

Now when my hair is longer, the waves after washes are more distinctive, but on the second day after washes my hair is almost straight. I have hesitated whether I should call myself 1c or 1c/2a. I expect your hair to look more wavy when it grows longer, too.

smilinjenn71
September 20th, 2009, 01:50 PM
"I expect your hair to look more wavy when it grows longer, too."

Ohhhh please, please, please let you be right!:pray:

Thank you for your thoughts/opinion! It's kinda difficult figuring out your own type.

amaiaisabella
September 21st, 2009, 09:01 AM
See, my hair wasn't wavier at all when it got longer- 'course, it depended on the weather as well. My hair is always wavier in the summer. But I think it took a certain length for the waves to suddenly spring back into rotation :p

My waves are VERY pronounced at chin-length, and I'm struggling to remember how to deal with them again! I hate using any product, even natural stuff, after my shampoo, as it just gets loaded-down so quickly.

GoddesJourney
September 21st, 2009, 10:27 AM
Hey, this is a thread for ME! Does anyone else feel like their hair always looks just a little bit uncombed because it's not quite curly or wavy?

marikamt
September 21st, 2009, 10:33 AM
Hey, this is a thread for ME! Does anyone else feel like their hair always looks just a little bit uncombed because it's not quite curly or wavy?

totally! and if I use cones my top portion (from scalp to ears) is smooth but rest has no waves, no-cones, ears down wavy but top is not smooth (kinda frizzy) ..... aarrrgghhh! :justy:

florenonite
September 21st, 2009, 12:42 PM

Yeah, this happens to me :justy:

It can be absolutely infuriating!

GoddesJourney
September 21st, 2009, 02:47 PM
totally! and if I use cones my top portion (from scalp to ears) is smooth but rest has no waves, no-cones, ears down wavy but top is not smooth (kinda frizzy) ..... aarrrgghhh! :justy:
I just got away from cones a couple of months ago and sulphates last month. It did a lot for getting rid of the little frizzies around the crown. I think the non-sulphate stuff (Trader Joes Nourish Spa) helps a lot by not giving my hair any excuse to be selectively "curly" at the crown. My horn comb is helping a lot too. I've gotten compliments lately.

However, the old damaged stuff (basically from the ears down), as you so eloquently put it...:justy:!

Feli
September 23rd, 2009, 05:38 AM
I belong here too! the worst thing with my hair is that I have some sections which are extremely wavy and sometimes even almost curly and the rest is straight. I only saw a picture of my natural length for the first time 2 weeks ago and I couldn't believe how strange it looks from the back - the middle and right section looking really wavy and the rest straight. But, there's nothing to be done about it, so I guess we'll have to learn to live with our somewhat indecisive hair! My avatar is braid waves - seems to be a good way to a least get some evenly distributed waves!

Katze
September 23rd, 2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks for this thread! I often despair that my hair is so messy and unruly, and I can't get it to be straight or even smooth no matter what I do.

Supposedly you put styling cream (or for me, leave-in) in wet hair, put it in a tight bun at the nape of the neck, and leave overnight to dry. I'm going to see if that will give me more defined waves then just the few twirls I get every now and then :p

I get good waves from sleeping on two mini buns held with mini claw clips, especially if I use a bit of leave in. Top of head buns work good too - for me a nape bun would probably give bumps.

think I found that plopping would be one of my best bets to get some nice curls and I have had some luck in the past with foam curlers left on overnight.

With plopping, I'm still looking for the perfect leave-in/scruncher though. Something that will give me hold and not have the waves & curls fall out during the day, but also something that doesn't make my hair feel all dry and crunchy.

A bit of Fox's conditioning creme mixed with hair gel, or goth rosary conditioner mixed with hair gel works well for me.

OK, I know my hair is still really short but how would you type me? My hope is that someone on this board had hair like mine when it was short....LOL!!!

I do have some S waves at both temples. This pic is W/C and air dryed. Currently I type myself at 1b/1c. Gotta say I'm guessing on that though!:p Don't worry about offending me, I'm looking for some direction and help here! Thanks in advance!:flower:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii164/smilinjenn71/Hair/hairanniv1yr002.jpg?t=1253472680

yours looks much curlier than mine was at that length, but that might be your layered 'do. Based on that I would say at LEAST 2a, maybe more.

YES! Mine always looks messy no matter what I do.

mine too!

smilinjenn71
September 23rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
Thank you for your response Katze, I've wondered the same about the layers. I guess time will tell........

Peter
September 23rd, 2009, 07:43 PM
Yes! Argh!

And there are always some hairs that like to be stick straight, and others that have deep defined waves... so you comb it smooth, and 5 minutes later it starts getting frizzy again! :justy:

daydreamer
October 17th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I *think* I might be one of you guys.... just recently even! My virgin hair has suddenly decided it wants to be wavy, while the old dyed ends are sticking to the messy/nondescript look. I do not get temple curls, but do notice big, loose nape curls when I exercise. Also one side of my head is wavier than the other.
I do also have problems with always looking scraggly and "uncombed"! Perhaps I have found my hair sisters/brothers? Heheh

Alexannee10
October 17th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I'm one of those too :) Right after washing, they're wavy (like my avatar) and few days after, straight. I'm between the very straight and the curly I think ..

teela1978
October 17th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I *think* I might be one of you guys.... just recently even! My virgin hair has suddenly decided it wants to be wavy, while the old dyed ends are sticking to the messy/nondescript look. I do not get temple curls, but do notice big, loose nape curls when I exercise. Also one side of my head is wavier than the other.
I do also have problems with always looking scraggly and "uncombed"! Perhaps I have found my hair sisters/brothers? Heheh

That's so funny, I was completely opposite. My dyed hair was 2c, and if I worked at it closer to 3a. Virgin hair, 1c, 2a on a good day. It was like my curls just slowly grew out :)

rags
October 17th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I have just recently accepted that this is me. I always had straight hair until a huge hair loss/regrowth (meds).
When I went off cones, it was a revelation! I took a hairtyping photo and everyone typed me at either 1c/2a or straight 2a. I couldn't believe it!

I'm another one that constantly feels as though my hair looks like it needs to be combed. Sigh......

smilinjenn71
October 17th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Recently I feel as if I have a rats nest underneath, at the base of my neck. What the heck is that about?!?! It's fine when I wash/condish but as the day wears on it gets tangled a bit. I notice it more at work, perhaps because of my shirt collar?!?!?! (I wear scrubs and a lab coat)

It's really annoying and yes I feel like I need to comb/brush a few times a day or it looks scraggly. (if that is a word..hehe)

Sissy
October 17th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I think I also fit into this category. My hair can go either way... straight or wavy depending on the products I use. It doesn't take much effort at all to get it straight... I just let it air dry almost completely then hit it with a warm drier for a couple of minutes and viola straight hair. However, I am trying not to blow dry to see if it increases my hair health at all so I have to kinda suffer each night in wonder until my hair air dries. Lately, I've been OK with the way it air dries though. It's almost like it's changed types as it's drying mostly straight.

amaiaisabella
October 18th, 2009, 08:48 AM
My hair has been drying lovely right after I wash it, with a bit of wave and straight pieces, but right after I sleep on it, my crown hair is all puffed up and the layers are turning every which way! Since the hair is so short, I can't pull the length up, but I'd appreciate any advice any of you shorties (or former shorties!) could give me :)

daydreamer
October 20th, 2009, 01:05 AM
If I wake up with funny hair I have to put water on it, at least on the roots. Maybe you could try misting?

Toadstool
October 20th, 2009, 02:09 AM

I get them too!! I wish all my hair would do it:)

Arctic
October 20th, 2009, 06:20 AM
May I play with you? I have both straight and wavy hair (hence the user title straivy :)) though my wavy hairs are more 2b. I don't fit into the waviness categories :(

amaiaisabella
October 20th, 2009, 06:03 PM
If I wake up with funny hair I have to put water on it, at least on the roots. Maybe you could try misting?

I might have to try that, but it's been so cold lately in the mornings, I hate to dampen my hair! I've got it in a bee-butt bun tonight with leave-in to sleep, and we'll see if that helps the crown.

Demetrue
October 20th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I usually have to rewet my hair in the morning - it is still shortish and layered, and no matter how nice it looks before I go to sleep, the next morning the top layers are sticking straight up and the sides stick out like giant horns (not quite the look I am going for!). I have been thinking of sleeping with bobby pins in my hair to hold the stray layers down, but I'm afraid I will end up with breakage. I sleep with a satin pillowcase. I think a satin head scarf would be too hot and annoying for me to be able to sleep in.

amaiaisabella
October 21st, 2009, 08:30 AM
Demetrue, this is almost exactly what happens to me! Last night I dampened my hair, melted down some Jungle conditioner and applied to the length, and put it in a real tight bee butt bun at the base of my neck to hold. The crown was not bad at all this morning, and the length feels pretty moisturized, though I did have one layer sticking up that I had to subdue.

florenonite
October 21st, 2009, 08:32 AM
Does anyone else feel like their hair looks better on day 2? The day I wash, once my hair dries it's all stringy and frizzy, but if I brush it it gets greasy. I brush it before bed and fingercomb it in the morning and it looks lovely.

Also, I love the "texture power!" tag :lol:

Nightshade
October 21st, 2009, 08:37 AM
Question, guys....

So since getting rid of some of my henna, my wave has come back. Am I still in the 2a category, or do I have to leave? :)

florenonite
October 21st, 2009, 08:47 AM
Question, guys....

So since getting rid of some of my henna, my wave has come back. Am I still in the 2a category, or do I have to leave? :)

It depends on whether or not your hair behaves like hair that's somewhere between straight and wavy. If you can empathise with the things posted on this thread, then you can continue playing here :p

And what's this about getting rid of your henna? Are you just using a more dilute mix recently?

Nightshade
October 21st, 2009, 08:54 AM
It depends on whether or not your hair behaves like hair that's somewhere between straight and wavy. If you can empathise with the things posted on this thread, then you can continue playing here :p

And what's this about getting rid of your henna? Are you just using a more dilute mix recently?

Well, it sort of depends :p My hair is wavy, here's my most recent pic (private album pic, may not work for everyone):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=237&pictureid=52498

But if I comb it when it's damp at all the waves fall out. Also a wrap bun even on dry hair makes it pretty straight.

As for the henna, I took Sun-In to my hair awhile ago (I can dig up the thread if you want) and it lightened it from burgundy to copper (pic above is way off in color, I forgot to set the camera from outdoor light to indoor light before taking the pic), and switched to a 35% henna 65% cassia mix. So I got my wave back along with my copper color :)

florenonite
October 21st, 2009, 09:11 AM
Well, it sort of depends :p My hair is wavy, here's my most recent pic (private album pic, may not work for everyone):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=237&pictureid=52498

But if I comb it when it's damp at all the waves fall out. Also a wrap bun even on dry hair makes it pretty straight.

As for the henna, I took Sun-In to my hair awhile ago (I can dig up the thread if you want) and it lightened it from burgundy to copper (pic above is way off in color, I forgot to set the camera from outdoor light to indoor light before taking the pic), and switched to a 35% henna 65% cassia mix. So I got my wave back along with my copper color :)

Stay here for now, I'd say, as your hair straightens if you damp comb it, which IMO is one of the characteristics of this type of hair.

Your hair looks gorgeous in that picture, btw!

Ah, I remember the Sun-In. I didn't realise that it had made your hair wavy again, I thought it had just lightened it.

Nightshade
October 21st, 2009, 09:14 AM
Yay! I get to stay :cheer:

And it was a very unexpected and welcomed side-effect to get my waves back. It just wasn't something I made a big deal about as I didn't want people trying Sun-In just in hopes of getting their waves returned if henna had weakened them. Henna is such a strange creature, I figured what happened to me had less than a 50/50 chance of working for someone else :shrug:

marikamt
November 2nd, 2009, 02:57 PM
so my fellow 1c/2a-ers... what do you do to encourage your wave????? If I absolutely DO NOT TOUCH my hair at all (not even finger comb) once it gets past dripping wet, my waves are awesome, almost borderline curls.... but the hemline is "clumpy"... I feel the urge to brush the bottom to "thicken" the hemline, but then I lose my wave, and now that I am cone free, it gets a titch frizzy if I do that........ I have tried aloe gel and coconut oil as leave in, they make the condition of my hair nice but I wonder if there is something that would help/ encourage my waves.........

HildeMV
November 2nd, 2009, 03:00 PM
I don't think my hair can decide which type it is.

Gingevere
November 2nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
I don't think my hair can decide which type it is.

I feel your pain. My hair is 2a if I let it dry after washing without combing it, 1c if I do comb it, and it always ends up 1b after a few days either way. :rolleyes:

Shastrix
November 2nd, 2009, 03:15 PM
I used to always blow-dry my hair, but started to notice that after a few days, especially wet or humid days, my hair would start becoming wavy. One day I decided to leave it to dry by itself and was shocked by the waviness! I therefore changed my hair type from 1b to 1c/2a as I think I might fall into this category, would somebody like to "type" my hair for me?

If I do minimal brushing and leave it to air-dry it would look like the image below (it can actually get wavier than this if I don't brush it at all, other than a wide-toothed comb detangle):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4114&pictureid=53929

If I blow-dry my hair or keep brushing it through the air-drying process it looks more like this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4114&pictureid=52878

When I actually look closely at my hair it seems that I have some lighter hairs that are naturally straight, but also darker wiry hairs that are naturally curly. I think confers the "super-knottiness" my hair has...

jasper
November 2nd, 2009, 03:50 PM
Shastrix, your hair is beautiful! I love the waviness and fullness in the air dry picture. But I don't know the answer on the type. I'm also trying to figure mine out.

I didn't think I was in this group, but maybe I am. I took a length picture for November and this is my hair air dry with no combing. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4215&pictureid=54046

It's not as straight as I though, but is it wavy?

Carolyn
November 2nd, 2009, 03:56 PM
Shastrix, your hair is beautiful! I love the waviness and fullness in the air dry picture. But I don't know the answer on the type. I'm also trying to figure mine out.

I didn't think I was in this group, but maybe I am. I took a length picture for November and this is my hair air dry with no combing. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4215&pictureid=54046

It's not as straight as I though, but is it wavy?Yes I think you are. I see some loose "S" waves in your picture.

fragolina
November 2nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
I've realised that I can replicate many different hairtypes just by manipulating my hair as it dries. Want straight hair? Comb it repeatedly. What if I'm after something in the realm of 2a hair? Bun waves! 2b/c? Braid waves. And if I want curly, rope braids give something resembling 3a, whilst pin curls are somewhere around 3a/3b.

This thread's here for those of you who feel like you're not really a straightie but not really a wavy, either. We can share what we love about our hairtype and how we achieve different degrees of curliness with it :)

Here I am! :o)
I have the same "problem" ... but I'm convinced the real problem is the classification! ;-)) I mean, my hair sometimes is super-straight but can be pretty curly even without a bun ... through "manipluation" (simply using my hands!). It depends on many things ...

jasper
November 2nd, 2009, 04:15 PM
Yes I think you are. I see some loose "S" waves in your picture.
thanks for the input! my whole life I thought my hair was plain old straight, but I guess that's just if I brush it straight.

Alexannee10
November 2nd, 2009, 04:15 PM
I'm 1c :) !

Cholera
November 2nd, 2009, 09:13 PM
I just found out I was in this category! I've been playing around with different ways to get my waves to define themselves, but I always seem to brush them out after my hair's dry. I just can't stand it looking so fuzzy :/ I think tomorrow night I'm gonna try using aloe gel.

Silver & Gold
November 3rd, 2009, 06:35 AM
I haven't read the entire thread yet, I'll have to take the time to go back when I have the time. But I'm jumping in to say I'm just the same.

The frustrating part about it is that although I can mimic straight or curly by how I choose to handle my hair, I'm never quite satisfied with how it looks when I leave it along. It seems that my hair is simultaneously too straight and too curly. Too straight to look good as a curly style and too curly to look good as a straight style.

My siggy is a picture taken after I twisted my hair as it way drying. If you look in my albums you'll see pictures of my hair that has been combed and/or blow dried and some where it has been plopped.

I also have to be careful about conditioners. It's very easy to cross the line from having enough moisture to keep my hair nice and too much conditioner that makes my hair limp.

jasper
November 30th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Okay, now that I've decided to see my hair as wavy, this finally explains why my bangs always eventually flip out like little horns.

Naamah
December 1st, 2009, 02:02 AM
Just found out I'm in this category pretty recently. I love my waves, but I'm still trying to figure out how to work with them. :p

This is my hair if I don't comb after washing and leave it alone:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4201&pictureid=55166

I do like the waves a lot but they get a bit frizzy sometimes. :(

This is my hair if I comb it after washing before it dries:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4201&pictureid=53869

I can get it pretty straight by combing it, if I feel like it. :)

lucys
December 1st, 2009, 02:21 PM
Ooh, I think I belong here.

I am 2a (I think) when my hair is longer. I used to be a 2b veering toward 2c, but I had kids and they stole my curls. Feels very strange to have straighter hair, especially since I spent so much of my life trying to get it to lie flat. Now it does (with relative ease, and reliably the day after washing), all I want are some waves... :-)

mediumhair
December 1st, 2009, 03:43 PM
Horray a thread for this category! My hair is not pin straight but also doesn't have true waves or curles. My hair stays wavy for 2 days after crimping or braid waves. For some reason curling irons don't work on my hair. I can get waves but not curls :( Right now I just washed my hair and it's straight but sometimes it's not.

JenniferNoel
December 1st, 2009, 03:48 PM
I think I may fall in to this category.
When my hair was chin length, the "waves" truly aggravated me, but as it's growing out I'm becoming more and more fond of them. It gives my jet black hair some volume and depth and makes it look more interesting in general. :p

jasper
December 1st, 2009, 06:17 PM
Horray a thread for this category! My hair is not pin straight but also doesn't have true waves or curles. My hair stays wavy for 2 days after crimping or braid waves. For some reason curling irons don't work on my hair. I can get waves but not curls :( Right now I just washed my hair and it's straight but sometimes it's not.
Curling iron doesn't work for me either. Last time I tried it was about a year ago for a friend's wedding. I curled it and rolled it and the curl fell out within an a few minutes. I think that was actually the straightest my hair has been all year.

sneakybea
December 2nd, 2009, 04:04 AM
I think I may be in this group as well. My hair tends to get straight when it dries too quickly (just one of the reasons I hate blow-dryers) and also goes limp-ish when over-conditioned, but it takes curls really well. I can even get my bangs to curl under if shape them with my fingers. I like that the waviness gives it a certain amount of "fluff," but my hair doesn't stay combed and tidy looking very long, and didn't even when it was shorter.
I make bun curls/twisting waves using a technique that was all the rage here years ago; the messy scrunchie bun!

imposterpockets
December 2nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
Yes! I have been looking around at people's photos and checking out the hair type example pictures and I can't make up my mind as to where I fall on this. Like many have said, it depends on what happens to my hair as it's drying.

Right now, it sits on my shoulders, which causes the ends to flip up when it air dries. Now that it's getting longer that flipping looks less like a hedgehog, thankfully.

I think I could be anywhere from a 1b to a 2a depending on the day. I feel like my hair being fine and also in this weird in between wavy is especially prone to getting hugely puffy and puffing out in odd directions when not oiled, but maybe that is the nature of all fine hair.

Nenwing
December 2nd, 2009, 10:17 AM
My hair is getting slightly longer now, and its funny, but product in it seems to just make it go "flop!" as in it just dies like a deflated balloon. It seems like it likes it best without anything in it. Even with short short hair, it still was a fight to make it stay.
I am going to grow it out again, as I think I like it without having to put gunk in it!

HildeMV
December 5th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Wow, plopping really gave me som waves, but it also got quite tangly:p

What I do with my hair while it's drying has a lot to say.

ArienEllariel
December 10th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Thank heaven, a thread for me! :) My hair is never really straight, but I only have a few s waves, concentrated at the back of my head below my ears.

Thegreenkiwi
December 11th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Subbing!

I can swing from a 1b to a 2a depending on wash day, whether I've "played" with it or had it tied up.

I tend to be quite curly on wash day and that is when I wear it down.

By the end of day 3 I am usually wearing it up and it tends to be quite straight by that time. If I tie it back it straightens it (but will have large waves where it has a band around it or if it's been in a messy bun).

I used to always think I had straight hair with yucky waves (I hadn't discovered my curls as I always fought the waves). I'm loving the waves but also appreciate that I can get rid of them when I want too. What also helped discover my waves was going no-poo and my hair really got bounce and curls instead of being lank by the next day.

I used to flatiron them every day and it would only take 5mins to smooth out the few that I had sincer I would finger comb my hair as it dried so it would make it mostly straight anyway.

Now I scrunch when it's wet (I apply a little curling product) and leave it to air dry.

I do find it tends to be messy and tangly, but I kinda like that I think?

What product do people here use to help define curls without weighing the hair down?

Autumnberry
December 11th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Just found out I'm in this category pretty recently. I love my waves, but I'm still trying to figure out how to work with them. :p

This is my hair if I don't comb after washing and leave it alone:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4201&pictureid=55166

I do like the waves a lot but they get a bit frizzy sometimes. :(

This is my hair if I comb it after washing before it dries:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4201&pictureid=53869

I can get it pretty straight by combing it, if I feel like it. :)

I looked at these pictures and reclassified my hair to 1c/2a immediately. :D