PDA

View Full Version : What exactly does dirty hair smell like?

HeatherJenae
July 25th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I can honestly say, that every time my hair is gross dirty, it usually is greasy and itchy, but it has never smelled like anything. I was just wondering, because I've read lots of posts where people say their dirty hair smells. Smells like what exactly? :drama:

Roseate
July 25th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Well, it depends. My hair tends to pick up scents from the environment, so it can smell like any number of things. Smoke is the worst; I always have to wash if I've been somewhere smoky.

My sebum also has a mild natural smell that I can sometimes notice, but others have told me they can't smell it. It's not unpleasant to me, but sometimes it's there.

florenonite
July 25th, 2009, 12:37 PM
IME, when dirty hair smells, it's not apparent to the wearer of the hair or most people, but only people in close contact. DBF's hair smells kind of musky when it's dirty. OTOH, a couple years ago when my sister was going through that greasy preteen stage, her hair smelt, and she hated me for saying this, a bit like vomit. I think that was due to the whole hormonal thing that happens at about that age, though. Now when her hair needs washed it just smells a bit musky, but it's something I've only ever noticed when she's sitting on my lap or hugging me and her hair is right beneath my nose.

enfys
July 25th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I think musky describes it pretty well. It's more than just oily, probably since there's sweat and whatnot in there. Ych a fi.

I can't smell mine since it's on my scalp and I wash every other day, but I know when I stand behind my sister her hair has a really funky smell if it hasn't just been washed, it's a very nasty smell, and if I smelt like it I'd want to know.

I expect you can pick the smell up if you rub your fingers on your scalp and sniff them.

RoseRedDead
July 25th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Mine hair smells slightly musky and sweet from the sebum... It's not a bad smell (at least not to me) and I've never had anyone say anything about me smelling averse.

vampodrama
July 25th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I use henna, and it smells like rotting/burning wood on my head when fresh (NOT like fresh hay or whatever other people claim it smells like, haha). The smell lingers forever (I usually henna once a month, so I suppose the smell stays longer, because it just never goes away completely) and that's exactly what my dirty hair smells like. Dry, clean hair doesn't smell, but when it gets damp, sweaty or greasy, the henna smell kicks up again.

So my greasy hair smells like rotting wood.

klcqtee
July 25th, 2009, 02:34 PM
The only way I can describe it is...have you ever hung around a mechanic? That greasy oily automotive smell is what my hear smells like when it smells dirty. Of course, my dad is a mechanic and I grew up around the shop so...maybe that's a correlation? Ha ha.

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 25th, 2009, 02:56 PM
My hair smells something like coconut oil when it's dirty.

storytellerzero
July 25th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I think dirty hair (from oil build-up and not sweat or absorption of environmental odors like smoke) smells something like when nuts go rancid (it's the oil in the nut that goes rancid I believe). Yes, slightly rancid is how I would describe it. This may be in keeping with the "musk" many people are claiming. It take a while for my hair to get that dirty though, at least toward the end of the 2nd week without washing. I don't like let it get to that point :nono:

Caldonia Sun
July 25th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I can smell it both on me and my pillow, but it's not a bad smell IMO.

swanns
July 25th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I'm with the OP, I've never noticed any smells in my hair at all (except for the ones it picks up, like cigarette smoke, but I think that's a bit different), or anyone elses for that matter.

Wicked Princess
July 26th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Well, I wash my hair every 3-4 days, so I don't think that my hair gets especially "dirty" in that amount of time. I do work out almost every day, but I have my hair up for it, and my scalp doesn't get overly sweaty. By the time my hair is ready for a wash, it smells faintly of...I think the best way to describe it is oak. I'm assuming it's due to the oil I use in my hair. I've been told that's what other people smell, too, but they have to be very, very close to smell it to begin with.